K&N Drop in Filters

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

Those that have used what do you think?

The claims are 1-4 HP, but I think that is at like 5K RPM

Increase in gas mileage.

Less maintenance costs.

My decision is more for the maintenance side of things. Not expecting to actually feel increased HP if it is even there within the power curve of my Jeeps minivan engine.

Has anybody seen any increases that they claim? It would be great if I could get say 1 extra mile per gallon, that would be about 19 miles per tank, which is a little more than a gallon of gas in the city. So if I fill up 50 times per year, which is about what I get (250 miles per tank, 12,500 miles per year) and I save a gallon every fill up, at 3.50, that would be $175 savings per year!! Even if I get only a half gallon, that is $87.50. We will see I guess. Getting ready to fill up and will see how much I get out of the tank.

I think I will put the sticker on the back glass, that's good for what, an extra 4Hp, and 1mpg???:(

Anyway, what if any gains have you seen with just a drop in filter

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped in one on my 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4. seemed to pick up a little more pep. need to clean it now and the with recharge kit. I like mine..... don't pay attention to gas mileage myself . Low gas light lights...i fill it up again.

I have never used the drop-in replacement, but I have used one on an intake set-up. In that fashion, I did see on average of about 3-4 miles over stock if I kept my foot out of it. That was on a Grand all wheel drive with the old 5.2 in it. However, I think the oiled filters are sorta old technology, and I would look about other options. I have a cold air intake on my truck now that is a washable dry filter that I like much better. In fact, the washable have a lower maintance cost than the oiled filtered because you don't have to put the oil in them. I just wash mine with dishwasher detergant and let it dry.

I've used stock replacements for years and noticed no significant improvement, but I've never done a rigorous A-to-B comparison either. As you said, I use them for the "never buy another one" part. I do believe they help a little when used in combination with a cold air intake.

I have a cold air intake on my truck now that is a washable dry filter that I like much better. In fact, the washable have a lower maintance cost than the oiled filtered because you don't have to put the oil in them. I just wash mine with dishwasher detergant and let it dry.

Dry washable filter? Do tell....

Guest mustangdave

I've used both setups...replacement panel filter in my 93 SHO and 02 V6 Mustang...didn't notice much improvement in HP gains. I have also installed the cold air intake systems in the V6 Mustang...and the Roush....difinately a difference...but I think you'd have to dyno it to see the difference...but IF you go by "seat of the pants" feel...welllll...maybe.

Guest nicemac
Those that have used what do you think?

The claims are 1-4 HP, but I think that is at like 5K RPM

Increase in gas mileage.

Less maintenance costs.

My decision is more for the maintenance side of things. Not expecting to actually feel increased HP if it is even there within the power curve of my Jeeps minivan engine.

Has anybody seen any increases that they claim? It would be great if I could get say 1 extra mile per gallon, that would be about 19 miles per tank, which is a little more than a gallon of gas in the city. So if I fill up 50 times per year, which is about what I get (250 miles per tank, 12,500 miles per year) and I save a gallon every fill up, at 3.50, that would be $175 savings per year!! Even if I get only a half gallon, that is $87.50. We will see I guess. Getting ready to fill up and will see how much I get out of the tank.

I think I will put the sticker on the back glass, that's good for what, an extra 4Hp, and 1mpg???:(

Anyway, what if any gains have you seen with just a drop in filter

Waste of money.

If extra hp and mpg were that easy, EVERY manufacturer would jump to put hose filters in their vehicles.

Waste of money.

If extra hp and mpg were that easy, EVERY manufacturer would jump to put hose filters in their vehicles.

Negative sir. They also make money selling replacement filters. Extra HP and MPG are as easy as a tune but no manufacturer does that either. Stupid argument.

Guest db99wj
Negative sir. They also make money selling replacement filters. Extra HP and MPG are as easy as a tune but no manufacturer does that either. Stupid argument.

Exactly. Just to be clear, I'm not really expecting any improvement in HP or really that much if any in fuel economy, the maintenance savings is what I am really expecting. If I were to push a few extra miles per tank, that is just gravy.

If I wanted to really push and get more HP and fuel economy, I would install a programer and a CAI, or install a 6.1L Hemi with that extra $20K that I have laying around!

I used a K&N filter back about 12 years ago on my Taurus SHO. I did not notice any difference in performance or gas mileage. Thought it was a waste of money.

Of course, my SHO was such a piece of ****, that it spent more time on the side of the road and in the shop, so maybe I never got see any benefit from the filter. :(

Of course, my SHO was such a piece of ****, that it spent more time on the side of the road and in the shop, so maybe I never got see any benefit from the filter. :(

from what I've heard, those SHO's were pretty fast when they actually ran. There was a famous police chase in Wyoming where the bad guy was driving a SHO.

from what I've heard, those SHO's were pretty fast when they actually ran. There was a famous police chase in Wyoming where the bad guy was driving a SHO.

It was a fast car. I loved that Yamaha engine it had. It felt like a turbo boost kicked in at about 4000 rpm. Unfortunately, all the Ford stuff connected to it was pure junk.

Filters will definitely make your exhaust note a little louder. You might also get the "turbo" sound from the air sucking in. As far as being less maintenance, I think they are more maintenance bc you have to wash and oil them? I would definitely recommend them though!!!

I have always had good luck from K&N. Use to have a CRV gave me 2mpg more. When my wife got her Nissan van I put one in it also. I have them in everything I drive. I think they do best in a diesel engine though. Can be a pain to clean!

I use them in all my vehicles and have for years. Whether they do increase HP or MPG is an open question and likely an unanswerable one since so many variables affect both measurements and very, very few people are ever going to go to the trouble and expense of controlled measurements on a dyno for before and after comparisons! I also doubt that anyone is going to really be able to tall a difference in a couple of HP just based on the seat of their pants. :(

That said, they last virtually forever and I believe do a better job of doing what an air filter is supposed without unnecessarily restricting airflow - that alone is enough for me to continue using them!

Guest mustangdave

I'll echo ResevoirDog...the SHO was a MONEY Pit that's for sure...but when it ran...it could take out a "stock" Mustang GT...I think I replaced every accessory that bolted to the motor...TWICE...not to mention upper and lower pulleys...and 2 brake master cylinders...I drove a 93 put 200K on the odometer, before it gave up all its internal fluids at the Ford dealership parking lot while i was shopping for a Mustang...LOL

The HP gain is a % of the HP of the motor. In most cases, will not be 16 HP. They do flow better and will last forever, that's the upside.

The downside, if you over oil it on an EFI motor, it can coat the MAF w/ oil and cause A/F problems. A little oil is good, not lots!

I've used stock replacements for years and noticed no significant improvement, but I've never done a rigorous A-to-B comparison either. As you said, I use them for the "never buy another one" part. I do believe they help a little when used in combination with a cold air intake.

Dry washable filter? Do tell....

I think this is the one I have. I have had it for a few years and it still seems to work well.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Air Intake - Chevy - Performance Air Intakes

The HP gain is a % of the HP of the motor. In most cases, will not be 16 HP. They do flow better and will last forever, that's the upside.

The downside, if you over oil it on an EFI motor, it can coat the MAF w/ oil and cause A/F problems. A little oil is good, not lots!

Yes, I sit mine out in the sun for a few hours after re-oiling before installation.

I think this is the one I have. I have had it for a few years and it still seems to work well.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Air Intake - Chevy - Performance Air Intakes

Interesting.... thanky.

Guest NashvegasMatt

lets be honest, the hp gain is so minimal that you shouldn't be buying a fliter for that reason.... that is wishful thinking, as for longevity and better quality....yes they are and lab tests have proven it.

I haven't used a K&N in a naturally aspirated vehicle. However, after my experiences with them in turbo'd diesel, I won't have one. When I was truck shopping the last time, anything with a K&N was immediately dropped from consideration. In my experience, they're absolute garbage. Trash. Junk. Have I been unclear? :screwy:

Seriously, I don't like them. Had one in a 7.3 PowerStroke truck, and it let dust through. My theory is that the turbo on the engine pulled a slight vacuum on the filter and it couldn't handle it, but I don't have the time/ equipment/ or care enough to put that theory to a scientific test. It did it straight out of the box. Cleaned and oiled it per the directions a couple of times, still did it. I've heard from several other folks with these engines that they've experienced the same thing. Your mileage may vary.

Guest db99wj
I haven't used a K&N in a naturally aspirated vehicle. However, after my experiences with them in turbo'd diesel, I won't have one. When I was truck shopping the last time, anything with a K&N was immediately dropped from consideration. In my experience, they're absolute garbage. Trash. Junk. Have I been unclear? :screwy:

Seriously, I don't like them. Had one in a 7.3 PowerStroke truck, and it let dust through. My theory is that the turbo on the engine pulled a slight vacuum on the filter and it couldn't handle it, but I don't have the time/ equipment/ or care enough to put that theory to a scientific test. It did it straight out of the box. Cleaned and oiled it per the directions a couple of times, still did it. I've heard from several other folks with these engines that they've experienced the same thing. Your mileage may vary.

Interesting.A majority of the complaints, which haven't really been that many, I've heard on them thus far, are with diesels.

It is the oil on the filter that causes the problems with sensors and such. This is mainly why I tell you to look at the washable dry filters. Also, if you do put one in, unplug the battery for over-night or at least for an hour or two to reset your computer. It will eventually adjust itself, but this will just help do it quicker.

Btw, the only gains you will see will be in highway miles and mostly acceleration at the upper end of your power curve. If you just drive around town, you will probably never see any difference. The easiest place for me to tell a difference is towing on the highway or climbing hills at highway speeds. This makes sense to me given the fact that it is helping to decrease the resistance to air flow which is only appreciable at higher rpms (not off the line).

Also consider too that the air filter is only half of the breathing equation. I realized as much improvement by adding just a free flow muffler as I did by adding an intake.

Edited by dats82