Anyone need a engineer?

My wife asked if i would post this on the al'mighty TGO.....You can PM me if you have some info you dont want to post publically......Thanks in advance

a little background: i graduated from Clemson 2 years ago with an industrial engineering degree. i had a job lined up after graduation but it fell through at the last minute, and at that time the economy was pretty crappy and i couldn't find anything else. i ended up back in my home town and was looking for any kind of job and got on at a local credit union as a temp. i am still there. i got hired on as full time and have gotten a couple promotions since then. it's a good job, i love my co-workers, benefits are nice... but really there's just not much more room for me to grow there unless i want to go into management, and i really don't. the money is okay but not great. what i do is not easy, but it does not require a degree of any kind.

basically, i just feel like i am not at my full potential. i am not using my degree, which i pursued because i really enjoy that kind of stuff. i won't say that i am bored with my job, but i feel like i am heading that way quickly. so anyway, the point of this thread, does anyone know of anywhere i could possibly get on with an engineering job? we are willing to relocate. i just worry it will be difficult for me to find a job at this point because i have been out of school for 2 years and have had no relevant experience (besides summer internships while i was in school).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not too late. I graduated into a crappy economy too and didn't get my first engineering job for 2 1/2 years. I retired from that job.

The fact that you worked at what you could find speaks well for you on your application.

I didn't start school until I was 35. Graduated at 39 and used all of the non engineering experience on my resume to get my 1st engineering job. It still took 6 months. You are only 24. Plenty young. Two years of work experience even if it's not in engineering would be viewed as an asset. The on the job learning curve for engineering is very steep. That's the reason with most professional careers you take the license exam right out of college but with engineering it takes 4 years of pratice under a PE before sitting for the PE. Keep your day job and start looking, you'll do fine.

Do A search on Monster.com for Alcoa Aluminum (and other Alcoa enterprises, near Knoxville). They have posted numerous jobs lately looking for similar talent.

I know a few folks who would suggest you avoid Alcoa like the plague, but YMMV.

I used to live near Kingsport and still know a few people in the area. Have you looked into contract type work? I recall a contracting company called Day & Zimmerman that did lots of industrial type work in that area. I assume you've applied with Eastman? I know of one Clemson alumni working there currently. Conversation a few months ago with some former coworkers indicated a couple manufacturing engineering jobs available at TRW in Rogersville. I'd suggest you avoid the auto industry like the plague too, but beggars can't be choosers.

Beyond that, look into Watts Bar. Bechtel is the primary contractor and it seems like they're always looking for people.

Even further out... During my most recent job search, I found a fair number of jobs available around Nashville, Charlotte, and Huntsville.

Incidentally... Both my parents and a host of other relations all went to Clemson. Go Tigers!

Peejman is right: RE:

....Beyond that, look into Watts Bar. Bechtel is the primary contractor and it seems like they're always looking for people. ...

This aint a bad idea.

good luck

leroy

Guest friesepferd

lots of good suggestions so far. ill keep an eye out for jobs for ya.

As suggested above, getting some lean / 6 sigma training is a great think to put on your resume.

I'm sure you can find some online training courses that you could do in your free time.

Simplyhired.com is the best job search engine on the web, ,hands down. I just saw a posting for Carrier Enterprises in Kingsport, now it's a sales job, but due to the nature of the product they like Industrial Engineers. One of my good friends worked for them in Denver with and IE from UT. Also I saw some postings at Corning in Erwin, as well as Bell Helicopters. Check those out and good luck.

Guest friesepferd
Columbia Machine Works. We are in need of one. Not sure how close you are to here. You can carry at work though.

*looks around*

heck... maybe ill check that out then.... :)