1. 1. What do you think of the Ruger SR9 9mm

• Excellent Purchase! Would be great for your first 9mm
    • Like it but don't love it as a first 9mm
    • You might as well just get a Glock
    • Ruger..huh really why?
    • No thanks

Guest Dukebb23

Hey guns,

Just wandering what you guys think of the Ruger SR9 9mm? This would be my first 9mm and it's not going to be for carrying purposes, but for the range and home defense.

Any other suggestions on a first 9mm under $400 would be great.

52387.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest monkeyhumper

I know the SR9 had trigger issues when it was first introduced, but they have since fixed the issue. (I've still heard people say they like the c trigger better, but I don't know if they were comparing a 'pre-fix' SR9 or not.)

I love my little SR9c, and with the extended mag, it sure feels like a full size gun. There are slight differences in size and weight, but they aren't drastic.

Guest rebeldrummer

I have owned them both..and loved them both.

I personally would go with the SR9C. You get both a flush mag with pinkie ext and a full size, full capacity mag for the range.

They both shoot great and I didn't notice a difference in accuracy or anything between the two.

Also, if you go compact, you can carry it and conceal it better. Once you shoot it you will want to take it with you!!

Just my opinion though, the SR9 is a great gun. You will surely enjoy it.

I have owned them both..and loved them both.

I personally would go with the SR9C. You get both a flush mag with pinkie ext and a full size, full capacity mag for the range.

They both shoot great and I didn't notice a difference in accuracy or anything between the two.

Also, if you go compact, you can carry it and conceal it better. Once you shoot it you will want to take it with you!!

Just my opinion though, the SR9 is a great gun. You will surely enjoy it.

This is good advice. I've had the SR9 and really liked it. It would be an excellent first gun.

Hey guns,

Just wandering what you guys think of the Ruger SR9 9mm? This would be my first 9mm and it's not going to be for carrying purposes, but for the range and home defense.

Any other suggestions on a first 9mm under $400 would be great.

52387.jpg

Under $400 for a range and home defense pistol. I can't think of anything that would fit the bill better than the Ruger. Good choice!

Guest Dukebb23

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I would really like the bigger of the Sr9 series, but what advantages do you feel with the compact than the standard SR9?

I was also told about a LC9 Ruger but it looks a little bit too small for my taste. I'm just looking for something that if it broke I wouldn't have much problems sending back to manufacturer and something that will last me a long time with not alot of problems. I know a price tag usually comes with the better models but which model and manufacturer would you choose?

Oh I've got a Taurus 9 shot 22lr revolver I'm selling too in the firearms classifieds if anyone is interested.

Guest Dukebb23
I wouldn't say it's a bad choice, it certainly isn't, but I'm sold on XD handguns. They work, and they work and they work.

Is that the Xd series from Springfield? I'm pretty sure I have shot one of my Friends xd's, but it was a little bit too small for me.

Is that the Xd series from Springfield? I'm pretty sure I have shot one of my Friends xd's, but it was a little bit too small for me.

they have lots of sizes Duke ... I have the XD9Sc - The smallest of the bunch. They have lots of different sizes.

go here:

Springfield Armory

Guest Dukebb23

I have actually Shot Rusty's XD9Sc. I think it would be great if I was going to get a carry permit, but I'm not right now. I just thought with my price range that would be too much, but I haven't priced the Xd series so i'm not sure.

Well since you asked...there are many other guns I would get before the SR9. My dad has the SR9 and it is a great gun but I would personally get other guns before it. That is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

my choices would be(in order)

1) Glock 19---proven time and time again to be a a fantastic gun. It's hard to beat Glock reliability

2)CZ P01 or 75 compact---CZ's are probably the most underrated guns on the market. IMHO

3)Springfield XD or XDM- fantastic guns and feel wonderful in my hand

4) S&W M&P---some die-hard Glock guys are switching over the the M&P line

Just my opinion, but I own two SR9's and they are great shooters. (Please don't judge them by dry firing alone...they feel totally different with live ammo) They're easy to maintain and only get better as you shoot them. The first one I bought has well over 2,000 rounds without a single malfunction. Both of mine have the second gen. trigger made after the recall. I just installed a Ghost Rocket trigger bar in one of my SR9's and...HOLY CRAP it's awesome!! Trigger breaks consistently at 5 lbs or less now and zero over travel. Results will be even better on the new models. I have nothing against XD's. They're great pistols & I would like to have one myself, but be sure to try out an SR9 before you decide.

Guest motonut

I have a XD40 in SC, fantastic gun, suspect the 9mm vs. is just as good.

FWIW I have a Sig 2022 in 9mm on the way right now. Street price is just shy of $400 if you look. Gets great reviews.

Guest Dukebb23
Just my opinion, but I own two SR9's and they are great shooters. (Please don't judge them by dry firing alone...they feel totally different with live ammo) They're easy to maintain and only get better as you shoot them. The first one I bought has well over 2,000 rounds without a single malfunction. Both of mine have the second gen. trigger made after the recall. I just installed a Ghost Rocket trigger bar in one of my SR9's and...HOLY CRAP it's awesome!! Trigger breaks consistently at 5 lbs or less now and zero over travel. Results will be even better on the new models. I have nothing against XD's. They're great pistols & I would like to have one myself, but be sure to try out an SR9 before you decide.

That's great to know luvmyberetta I think you just helped me with my next purchase. You have a link to that trigger that you bought?

Guest Dukebb23

My next question is where can I find one of these SR9's locally? D&T arms? Guns and leather? Anyone seen them up for sale?

• Moderators
I carry an SR9c daily and recommend it to everyone.

The SR9c is also my wife's carry gun as well. I almost got one for myself before I settled on the M&P9c. I would highly recommend either one.

I think the Glock 19 is a great pistol. A must have in my book. But recently I got a SR9c and it is very nice and accurate. I have been carrying it

lately and it is a lot of pistol for the money. I shot the full size and didn't like the trigger. It could of been a early model.

I personally didn't care for the XDsc I shot. But that is each to there own. A Golck 19 is roughly $120.00 more than the SR9c.

I think the Glock 19 is a great pistol. A must have in my book. But recently I got a SR9c and it is very nice and accurate. I have been carrying it

lately and it is a lot of pistol for the money. I shot the full size and didn't like the trigger. It could of been a early model.

I personally didn't care for the XDsc I shot. But that is each to there own. A Golck 19 is roughly $120.00 more than the SR9c.

R1100R, you are correct in that the SR9C tends to have a better trigger. I don't know why since they are virtually identical internally. I've played with a bunch of them through the store and this seems to be consistent. The fullsize isn't bad, it's just the compact is better out of the box.

That's great to know luvmyberetta I think you just helped me with my next purchase. You have a link to that trigger that you bought?

www.ghostinc.com

They make trigger bars for Glocks and SR9's. For your other inquiry. SR9's have become very popular and can be found at most gun shops. You can also find them at guns show selling for about $375-$400 new. They tend to cost a little more at big chain stores, but you might catch Ruger running a rebate or sale. Good luck.