TN train related family activities

Guest GunTroll

I love steam locomotives. Personally, I think that they are the peak of human mechanical endevour.

There's something undeniably sexy about those huge, hot, noisy monsters churning and hissing steam. Besides, I always wanted to be a real engineer...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattanooga offers several train trips.

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum - chattanooga, TN

The one that goes from Chattanooga to Chickamauga, Ga is a 6 hour trip through the country side and also travels through the Chickamauga-Chattanooga Battlefield.

The Chattanooga Choo Choo has old train cars that can be toured for free. They also have old train cars that can be stayed in over night.

There's something undeniably sexy about those huge, hot, noisy monsters churning and hissing steam. Besides, I always wanted to be a real engineer...

It's the rods cycling through the cylinders and the splash of the condensing steam. And the names the railroaders call things: Like the name they have for an overheated bearing in it's grease box.

Yep, a hotbox was a real problem, mainly before the timkin roller bearing was put to use by the RR. Ah, yes, no more beautiful mechanical sound than a big steamer breaking traction, the sand coming down and then breaking traction again. Yeah, I am old enough to remember when steam was the power of the day for rail.

oldogy

Guest GunTroll

Well, I'll be honest. I was doing this for my 4 year old but I'm getting excited now. Just got to make a plan and pick an attraction.

Thanks again for all the info.

If he like trains you need one of these. Heres mine. One of the best things I've ever bought . There Nathans off a Union Pacific locomotive .

Have a link to buy one? :rolleyes:

I once bought a compressor and two air horns to put on my old truck. It was advertised to sound like the one in the vid.

It ended up sounding like a squeaky horn on a kid's bicycle though. ;)

Guest GunTroll

I have had some jacka$$ blow one of those near me while I was at an intersection. Put my heart in my throat! I'm not sure those should be allowed in automobiles who are owned by idiots.

I haven't checked it out yet but there is also a train ride around Oak Ridge

Secret City Scenic Excursion Train

Secret City Scenic Excurion Train

As for the train horn, I had not seen one of those. But for years I was tempted to by a Ship Fog Hog, still might some day.

Have a link to buy one? :)

I searched the web a bit,

no idea how good it is, but

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts.com/BEHEMOTH-i-INLINE-Triple-Trumpet-Train-Air-Horn-152db-See-Video-ACHRSK-663.htm

they have a video

Edited by vontar
A ships fog horn is HUGE...I doubt you could fit a CG approved on in the bed of a pickup.

I wasn't going for an actually ship fog horn, just something that sounded like one that would be pretty lound. At the time, I was finding them in jc whitney catalogs, but like strickj suggests that probably would not be worth paying the shipping.

going by the guys YOUTUBE site, he used Nathan K3ha's air horns, you can google that.

I found this

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430122

Edited by vontar