Need advice on 1st semi- automatic

CLC

First, I am a grandmother and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis! That being said, I want a good size gun and "no pink"! I recently inherited my father's guns , most revolvers, and I loved shooting them! So I got my HCP. Now I want a semi that will make my son drool! And I think a larger gun will make a difference on the way I hold it so I can rack the slide easier! That has been my main problem! I am not terribly weak, I shoot my S& W 44 mag pretty good! But gripping a small slide with my hands are difficult , any advice would be so helpful! As far as $ goes, maybe around $600, plus I have a few older ones I need to sell because I will never shoot them!:D This will be my EDC plus I will practice a lot at the range so it should be tough!:D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as racking the slide the best method I've found is to hold the slide with left hand and push the frame forward. I have weak left hand and this works for me with compact 45's which I think are fairly stiff.

I want a good size gun

and "no pink"!

Now I want a semi that will make my son drool!

And I think a larger gun will make a difference on the way I hold it so I can rack the slide easier!

As far as $ goes, maybe around $600,

Smith & Wesson M&P.

Full size frame,

doesn’t come in pink,

Don’t know if it will make your son drool; what does he carry?

Not particularly hard to rack the slide. Just lock it back and then hit the slide release to chamber a round.

One of the very few times you will be able to buy American made and buy the best without paying more. Better made than most and in the same price range… $500.

Smith & Wesson M&P.

Full size frame,

doesn’t come in pink,

Don’t know if it will make your son drool; what does he carry?

Not particularly hard to rack the slide. Just lock it back and then hit the slide release to chamber a round.

One of the very few times you will be able to buy American made and buy the best without paying more. Better made than most and in the same price range… $500.

Truth

My son carries a XD40, but he thinks I should carry pepper spray! I currently carry S&W model 649 and S&W 60. I do a lot of photography and I am mostly alone so I want to be prepared , plus I shot Daddy's guns so good that I just fell in love with it! I have tried different ways , from Cornered Cat, but I don't handle small areas with very much strength. If a gun is "broke in" good would it be easier to rack?

I wouldn't count on it getting a lot easier. Sounds like to need to hit a big gun store and handle a bunch of them until you find true love. The Walther PK380 is real easy to rack, but as you probably know, the 380 ain't exactly a powerhouse round. There's something out there for you.

My 60 does not use 357s, all my guns are kinda old. My Colt Trooper is a 357 and if I am shooting, the camera, in the mountains- I either carry it or the 44 mag. But for everyday, I think maybe a 1911 or a XD might be better! Not like I can outrun a BG and I am afraid that even with 2 38's , I might need all the advantages I can get!

I think the racking will come easier than you think with the above method. Not saying you'll be able to rack everything. My left hand is in really weak (dupuytrens contracture) I have several autos from a desert eagle to AMT 380 and alot in between and rack without a problem. And trust me I'm pretty weak. A kimber "not mine" was the hardest that I can remember.

Edited by laktrash
Guest kmfbiomed

Beretta Tomcat Inox model has nice tip up barrel in .32 acp this doesn't require sliding. Just make sure it is the Inox model.

Since the main problem for you will be pulling the slide all the way to the rear for loading, two general rules are going to come into play here.

The first is that the more powerful the caliber, the more powerful the spring. We are going to assume that you are looking for a locking breech pistol, not a pure blowback with a fixed barrel. A 1911, Glock, or similar has a locked breech where the barrel recoils with the slide for a short distance before unlocking.

The second rule is that a shorter slide needs more a powerful recoil spring(s).

Applying those two rules, you can see that the Glock 17 full-size 9mm will be easier to load than the compact Glock 29 in the powerful 10mm. I am using Glocks as examples because they are common, well-known and easy to compare between models. With that knowledge in hand, my advice would be to visit a large gun shop when they are not busy and get a salesman to spend some time letting you handle as many models as you like. Test the pistols for how easy they are to load, how well you can move the controls (safety, slide release, etc), and how suitable the weapon is for your favorite mode of carry. go when they are not busy so the salesman can spend some quality time and not feel like he is torn between customers.

If possible, try to get to a range that rents the model you are interested in. Rent the pistol and see how well you like to shoot it. You do not want to spend a lot of money on a pistol that you hate to shoot or cannot comfortably operate.

I would concentrate on 9mm models. The 9mm is probably the cartridge which will give you the greatest choice of pistols which can be comfortably operated by you. There are some really excellent 9mm+P defense cartridges available these days. And 9mm practice ammo is less expensive than most other rounds.

I ran into this problem with my mother when we were gun shopping.

With double action revolvers, she had difficulty working the trigger. She also had difficulty pulling the hammer.

She can rack the slide on my Glock 19 using the methods described above (pushing the frame while holding the slide weak hand) and is pretty confident with that.

However, when I bought her a new gun the 19 was a little out of the price range we wanted. After a couple of hours at the gun store, we decided on a S&W Sigma 9mm. The gun gets a bad rap, but for the price, it is a solid little shooter and we haven't had any issues out of it. She can operate it as well as she can my Glock and she is confident with it.

Another option that I saw mentioned that I like is the Beretta Tomcat. While the .32ACP isn't as potent as the 9mm, it is still a bullet and it has served well for a while now in it's role. My mother had a Bobcat (the .22LR variant) for years and she was very fond of it.

If you are looking at smaller guns that are easy to conceal, the sig p238 is easy to rack and has a light trigger, both of which are awesome if your hands are in bad shape (age aside, computers have ruined my hands). Its a 380, which is weaker than 9 but more than plenty.. but it has less firepower than any of your revolvers, upside is just the rapid fire and small easy to conceal frame.

From there, there are many, many 9mm to pick from in many sizes and styles.

Guest pfries
With that knowledge in hand, my advice would be to visit a large gun shop when they are not busy and get a salesman to spend some time letting you handle as many models as you like. Test the pistols for how easy they are to load, how well you can move the controls (safety, slide release, etc), and how suitable the weapon is for your favorite mode of carry. go when they are not busy so the salesman can spend some quality time and not feel like he is torn between customers.

If possible, try to get to a range that rents the model you are interested in. Rent the pistol and see how well you like to shoot it. You do not want to spend a lot of money on a pistol that you hate to shoot or cannot comfortably operate.

This is key ,

on another note my daughter who is 11 years old and very petite will load the mag and rack the slide by catching the rear sight on her pants (at the pocket or belt line) the sights I have on my 9 and .40 are made for this with minimal training this is safe and effective.

That is what works best/easiest for her.

My 9 year old son uses the method from the video.