Motorcycle, second thoughts about commuting.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

It seems every time I get the urge to ride the motorcycle into work I'm reminded of the idiots on the road while in my car, or after seeing videos like this.

Dramatic video shows motorcyclist rear-ended and thrown into traffic

Dramatic video from Dallas North Tollway shows motorcyclist rear-ended and thrown into traffic | The Scoop | dallasnews.com

The video shows a motorcyclist getting slammed from behind by a small silver car. His bike gets sandwiched between that car that hits it and a car in front.

The motorcyclist would have been crushed, too, but he's thrown into the next lane of traffic -- where he barely misses being run over by a white SUV.

Look out! Lots of Americans just can't drive

More than one in five Americans -- some 36.9 million -- are not fit to drive and would fail a driving test if asked to take one today, according to a new survey of the nation's drivers.Shocking as that may be, it's actually an improvement. Last year, 38 million received failing grades. Nationwide, the average score this year increased to 77.9% from 76.2% in 2010.

According to GMAC Insurance, which conducted the survey, the results mean that a great number of people on the road still lack basic driving knowledge, an ignorance that leads to dangerous driving habits.

Americans don't know rules of the road - May. 26, 2011

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure why, but you can see traffic slowing down a little in front of him, and his wheels are smoking a bit as he slows down.

Not saying he was doing anything wrong, He was alert and trying to stay out of an accident himself; Note the car the rear ended him, also hit the car he was following (double rear-ender so to speak). He was pinned in a bad place with only a second to make a decision.

I don't want to quarter back it after the fact watching the video with time, he didn't have.

Edited by vontar
not sure why, but you can see traffic slowing down a little in front of him, and his wheels are smoking a bit as he slows down.

Not saying he was doing anything wrong, He was alert and trying to stay out of an accident himself; Note the car the rear ended him, also hit the car he was following (double rear-ender so to speak). He was pinned in a bad place with only a second to make a decision.

I don't want to quarter back it after the fact watching the video with time, he didn't have.

You're right. Traffic slowed quickly and he had to lock it up to avoid hitting the car in front of him. I have made it a habit to 1) keep a substantial distance between me and the car in front of me and 2) watch my rear view when slowing, even when slowing very quickly. The first ensures that I don't have to stop that quickly and since I have ABS on my bike I would stop even quicker than that guy. The second ensure that those not paying attention don't rear end me. Back to the first, it ensures I have a way out if the guy behind me is about to rear end me.

Hopefully this guy was able to ride again. It looked like he was banged up but it's impossible to tell if he had life threatening injuries.

The white SUV that was behind the car that hit him, did a good job of missing him when cut over to miss the black car. Picture yourself as the driver of the white SUV, you cut over to miss the black car then there is a guy in the road in front of you out of no where. He has to cut over to miss him as well.

(this guy was lucky to not be hit again) That driver was good to be paying attentions and lucky to have an opening in traffic to make the turns needed to avoid collisions.

Edited by vontar
What I noticed is no one jumped out to help. I know traffic had just stopped but I would have bolted out of the car to see if the guy needed any help.

I hope someone did after the camera faded. They did cut the camera like 2 seconds after.

I hope someone did after the camera faded. They did cut the camera like 2 seconds after.

Like I said, maybe too quick to judge but I would not be surprised in this day and age if everyone just kept on going.

On a lighter note. While pumping gas today in Sevierville I watched a suv back into a bike trying to leave the pumps. Crazy nice Ultra Glide.

SUV blacked out windows male driver on cell phone. A Latino and myself ran over as the bike hit the ground. The bike rider jumped off and went after the driver of the SUV. I learned new cuss words today.

I still ride when it's nice but not in town here. Give me back roads and I just putt along slow.

OP (and others),

If you have not done so already, I strongly suggest taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic and advanced riders courses.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

It has saved my a$$ several times over 35K of riding in the last few years. I took the basic as an experienced rider, and still learned a lot. Hope to take advanced soon.

Bert

I worked for UT Hospital transporting. I picked up a guy and took him to CT scan and wondered what was wrong...he seemed chipper enough. Well...He was missing a leg...Motorcycle VS Car thing. When he was done explaining he tried to give me the bike...brand new V Twin...new except for scratches.. I turned him down. Lots of my amputee patients were former motorcycle riders.

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. ... That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."

Thomas Jonathan Jackson

I ride only in the country now. I was toying with riding into work which is only four exits down. The people going into Nashville at rush hour are just to dangerous. From talking on cells to texting, eating, putting on makeup, reading a newwspaper and just picking their nose. There is some fenderbender/wreck every morning.

+1 on the MSF Riders Course. I've been riding over 40 years and still learned something.

Edited by R1100R
OP (and others),

If you have not done so already, I strongly suggest taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic and advanced riders courses.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

It has saved my a$$ several times over 35K of riding in the last few years. I took the basic as an experienced rider, and still learned a lot. Hope to take advanced soon.

Bert

As a former motorcycle safety instructor, I wholeheartedly agree. There is something to be gained even for seasoned riders.

Oldogy I am sorry to hear about your son. I have ridden for several years but I could never use my bike as an everyday commuter. I enjoy getting out of town or going to Deal's Gap to have a little "therapy" but every time I head into town I feel like someone put a huge target on my back. I would like to think that I am a smart, somewhat skilled rider but when most drivers are on their cell phone, eating, petting there pomeranian or some other stupid activity it just doesnt make it worth the risk. Another thumbs up for the MSF class, it not only made me a better rider, it made me a better driver while in my car.

I went to see a recently divorced lady about a yard full of airplanes. She had a P47, a P40, a P38 and a Grumman Duck all pushed together in a little half acre yard. She also had a box "crate" full of frames, motor parts and wheels. Three Harleys in pieces on one big box were really cheap so I bought it. A 45 flathead, a 61 cube, and a 1938 74. They were "an interesting assembly" but eventually I got the parts where they belonged and lost interest (my dad died, I joined up). When my mom wrote "I'm selling the house...you need to get your junk out of the garage," (Mothers are like that, yeah they are) I was in, or rather, off the coast of Japan, on board the Ranger at the time and I knew I wasn't going to get home to get "the junk." I wrote (yup, real letters...ink words on paper) my friend Bill and asked him to go get my "junk"...he did. Pretty soon I got a letter. "I have buyers for the 45 and the 61cube.. ..it's a reasonable offer considering." Now I have a nearly complete 74( tires, hoses and brakeshoes...and paint). I hauled it around the country, stored it in the barn at the estate, stored it at Bills when mom decided to use the barn for a firedrill, moved it here, moved it there. And hurt my back picking up a 2 and 5/8 inch bore cannon. Ended up in the VA. One of the Vietnam crazies in my unit rode his Harley to the hospital for his yearly disability appeal...and got it stolen. I gave him mine.

Edited by bajabuc
punctuation ,I do that a lot.
Guest AmericanWorkMule
...for the guys that ride only in the country now.
Pickup driver tries to kill motorcyclist

It was no less a writer than Hunter S. Thompson, who had done his fair share of hooning in his time, saw this first hand numerous times- as have some of us. Mind you, he wrote this 41 years ago- things haven’t changed.

Quote:

For a lot of reasons that are often contradictory, the sight and sound of a man on a motorcycle has an unpleasant effect on the vast majority of Americans who drive cars. At one point… a reporter for the New York Herald Tribune did a long article on the motorcycle scene and decided in the course of his research that “there is something about the sight of a passing motorcyclist that tempts many automobile drivers to commit murder.”

Nearly everyone who has ridden a bike for any length of time will agree. The highways are crowded with people who drive as if their sole purpose in getting behind the wheel is to avenge every wrong ever done them by man, beast or fate. The only thing that keeps them in line is their own fear of death, jail and lawsuits … which are much less likely if they can find a motorcycle to challenge, instead of another two-thousand-pound car or a concrete abutment. A motorcyclist has to drive as if everybody else on the road is out to kill him. A few of them are, and many of those who aren’t are just as dangerous, because the only thing that can alter their careless, ingrained driving habits is a threat of punishment, either legal or physical, and there is nothing about a motorcycle to threaten any man in a car. A bike is totally vulnerable; its only defense is maneuverability, and every accident situation is potentially fatal, especially on a freeway, where

there is no room to fall without being run over almost instantly. _______________

When confronted with the unreasonable, check six, get the hell out of Dodge, and leave street justice for the cops.

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
You're right. Traffic slowed quickly and he had to lock it up to avoid hitting the car in front of him. I have made it a habit to 1) keep a substantial distance between me and the car in front of me and 2) watch my rear view when slowing, even when slowing very quickly. The first ensures that I don't have to stop that quickly and since I have ABS on my bike I would stop even quicker than that guy. The second ensure that those not paying attention don't rear end me. Back to the first, it ensures I have a way out if the guy behind me is about to rear end me.

Hopefully this guy was able to ride again. It looked like he was banged up but it's impossible to tell if he had life threatening injuries.

Forget that. I always pulled off in the emergency lane when forced to stop suddenly. It saved my ass twice by doing that. Once it kept me from hitting the car infront of me (I crested a blind hill then OH ****!!!), the other kept me from getting hit.

Besides, the emergency lane is like a bikers very own car pool lane in traffic anyway. :)

Covering ass note:

I do not condone nor endorse the use of an emergency lane for non-emergency traffic.

If you're worried about other drivers it's best to stay off bikes.

I've been riding on the street for 37 yrs, (rode off road and raced enduros before that) I've had people cut me off, merge in my lane, and slam their brakes on in front of me. I've seen people look straight at me and pull in front of me. I try to observe the 2 second rule, I never ride next to anyone especially semi's, avoid traffic as much as I can and above all, I ride defensively.

I've had two crashes on the street, the first one was at 16 when I hit the back of a car because I wasn't paying attention, 5 pm traffic and my speed were contributing factors. The other was also my fault when I was so exhausted I shouldn't had been riding anyway, no other vehicles were involved.

I've always loved riding and never been afraid of the risks.

Guest lci419

OK...I'm not a motorcycle guy, but have thought about it over the years. I do however drive a truck and never once have contemplated "murder" as the above mentioned article suggested. I always try to extend the same courtesy to motorcycle riders as I do other drivers. HOWEVER...what always gets me, from these comments to the cute billboards and bumper stickers is the automatic presumption that it's always the 4+ wheel drivers that are always in in the wrong. Clearly the people that make these assertions never encountered the regular jackasses that I have, that like to bypass other traffic on either the shoulder or between two stopped lanes of traffic because "they can;" or that feel that any road of 2+ lanes becomes their own personal racetrack to speed down in considerable excess of the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic.