How do you pakage preped brass?

Guest pfries

Guest pfries

OK new to reloading here,

Went through and cleaned all of my brass and was curious as to how to/best way to pakage it up and how long it will store prior to needing another run as I doubt (well I know) I will not get to load it all this comming week.

I still need to work up my rounds ect.

Guest Lester Weevils

The walmart cheap rubbermaid "semi-disposable" clones of tupperware kitchen containers work real good for both dirty and clean brass and poly bags of bullets. They are surprisingly strong, airtight, and stack real well. A bunch of empties store in about the same space as 1 filled container.

My cabinet is only tall enough to hold them stacked 4 high, but the weight of the brass doesn't crush em stacked up to 4 high anyway. Dunno how much higher one could go.

51O4MtmEyML._SS400_.jpg

The big 40 oz Peter Pan plastic peanut butter tubs are worth saving for assorted parts and brass. They are excellent good quality plastic, airtight, and very optically clear so it is easy to get a good look what is inside. They seem built a lot better than the minimum spec to hold 40 oz of peanut butter.

Wife gets onto me for saving empty peanut butter tubs, but I actually do use them. She tells everybody I'm a packrat but that is unwarranted slander. We go thru a lot of peanut butter because the dogs get a dab with every meal. One dog has to take old age pills in the peanut butter and the other dogs would be jealous if they didn't get any. Also if they are accustomed to reflexively gobbling a dab of peanut butter every day then you can sneak in a pill any time it is necessary without having to convince them to do something new that they are not accustomed to doing.

Guest Lester Weevils
Wait... am I missing something here? Is it necessary to store them in an airtight connector? Can't you store them in the open air? I mean yes, they are all shiny but the air won't damage them will it?

Dunno much about it. Maybe air will not quickly make them no longer functional.

I made some shiny reloads years ago which I did not store air-tight. Those rounds are not shiny any more. :) The ones stored air-tight seem to stay shiny.

Wait... am I missing something here? Is it necessary to store them in an airtight connector? Can't you store them in the open air? I mean yes, they are all shiny but the air won't damage them will it?

Nah. It just keeps them shinier if they are in bags or in sealed containers. There are reloads around my house that have been reloaded since the middle eighties that look factory new.

Hope this helps.

leroy

For prepped brass I use large closeable containers such as ice cream, coffee or large tubs of butter comes in (cleaned of course).

For loaded ammo I use plastic storage bins that have good locks on them, get them at Wal-Mart/Big Lots.

Brass if stored in a good sealable container will last quite awhile before needing cleaned again.

Guest pfries

Thanks for al the replies,

I guess I will be fine as I put them in gallon freezer bags with silica gel.

I have decided I need to clean the brass more often..... it took a while to do the amount I had saved up.

Or get a bigger tumbler :lol: :-P

Guest friesepferd

meh. really doesnt matter. My large amounts of unpolished brass I have in big empty kitty litter tubs:

When cleaned and sorted, I put them into tupperware containters.

Guest pfries
meh. really doesnt matter. My large amounts of unpolished brass I have in big empty kitty litter tubs:

When cleaned and sorted, I put them into tupperware containters.

so you offering to save me a few.... Lol

Guest friesepferd
so you offering to save me a few.... Lol

hehe naw. i actually dont have any cats, just dogs.

not hard to find someone you know that has cats though.

Guest Lester Weevils

Those cat litter tubs look built good enough to fetch at least $5 apiece empty if they were un-labeled, empty, for sale on the buckets aisle at Ace Hardware. Fabulous idea.

The advantage of butter tubs, Rubbermaid containers, cat litter tubs is that numerous empties can be stacked and take up not much storage space.

Mayonaise jars, peanut butter tubs, and 50 cal ammo cans are good but they take up just as much shelf space empty as they do when full.

I really like ammo cans and that is the only way I store loaded ammo. But if you want a lot of temporary storage then it takes a lot of shelf space to hold a bunch of empty ammo cans waiting to be used for temp storage.

Giant ziplock bags are great too. The only problem I have with them is that they seem to wear out pretty quick after a couple of uses, and they don't stack well in tall shelves. If you have a bunch of short shelves it is easier to get good use out of ziplock bags.

Guest The91Bravo

I buy my brass in bulk, rough.

When I am tumbling it, the moment I pull it out of the tumbler, I no longer touch the cases. I have non-latex exam gloves and I use them to sort them by headstamp.

When I have enough for 500 or 1000 count packs, I put them in ziploc bags, and sell them on gunbroker.

The cases that I do not have at least 500 pc of, I keep them in the ziploc bag until my next batch is prepped. The only thing that will really tarnish them is oil from hands, or moisture.

So the ammo cans, are great. I literally have about 35 of the Maxwell House plastic containers with the handle molded in. An I have them full with everything form .25 ACP to Lake City Long Range 7.62.. and everything in between.

I will be listing some of my calibers here, but my current offerings are here:

GunBroker.com - Auctions by The91Bravo

That brass will stay that shiny for months, or longer.