"Big Game" Guns

Guest frank318

Guest frank318

I'm starting to look around to try and figure out what "big game" gun to get. I like the .45-70 but was wanting to know some other options. How good is the .50-95? Also who makes an affordable "big game" gun? I've see Uberti's go for $1500 or more. I'm more in the $500-$700 range.

The more uncommon a caliber is the more the gun is going cost. In the 5-7 price range you are on the .308/30-06 range.

If you are going to hunt something either of those rounds won’t take down; you need more gun money. :)

Guest frank318
For what kind of big game?

African-style big game: elephant, rhino and buffalo.

Mainly looking to add to my collection a rifle worthy of those.

The more uncommon a caliber is the more the gun is going cost. In the 5-7 price range you are on the .308/30-06 range.

If you are going to hunt something either of those rounds won’t take down; you need more gun money. :)

Not looking for new. Almost had a used .45-70 single shot for $200 or so. And dont have to be super fancy. Tube fed lever action would be nice. Not really interested in the doubles though.

I have never eaten Elephant , or Rhino . I have eaten Buffalo . I hope you are hunting for meat and not sport . I eat all that I shoot/hunt . I would use a Marlin lever action 45/70govt

Edited by tercel89

For African style big game you would be best served with a big bore, long cartridged rifle. You can find old CZ's in 375 H&H, minimum, or better yet 416 Remington. The 458 is an even better round for rhino and elephant, but many have been taken with the 416. In most African nations the 375 is the minimum allowed on dangerous game. It is a great cartridge for large plains game, but a bit too much on smaller plains game. It is sufficient on most cats as well.

The 416 Remington is very nice for most dangerous game and I actually find its push recoil to be easier to control and less punishing than the 375.

If you really want a African style you won't buy the 45-70 or 50-90. The double rifle is always nice, but price is usually steep. As stated above though the classic Mauser action guns, such as the CZ ,and also the old Winchester Model 70 are great bolts. For cost though the CZ is a great gun, with less of a price tag than the Winchester. The 45-70 is legal in most African nations for large plains game, but not for dangerous game.

I have never eaten Elephant , or Rhino . I have eaten Buffalo . I hope you are hunting for meat and not sport . I eat all that I shoot/hunt . I would use a Marlin lever action 45/70govt

Well if he does go to Africa and kills one of these animals he may indeed eat a bit of it while there. However, he will not be bringing it back to the states with him. The standard practice is to give the meat away to feed local populations who cannot, by law or lack of tools, kill for their own meat. It is ver much appreciated by the people.

I once had a custom Enfield in .416 Rigby. I didn't fire it much as the ammo was $4/round in those days. but it was pretty accurate, and didn't recoil as badly as I feared. It was butter-slick to operate, and I kept it in the hope of one day going on a hunt worthy of the rifle. I sold it to someone who actually WAS going to Africa to hunt. He used to get a Cape Buffalo and a lion. That's the closest I'll probably ever get to such a hunt!

Here is an excellent primer on cartridges for dangerous game:

Rifles for Dangerous Game

Offhand what it sounds like you want a .375 H&H. It's classy, steeped in history and in fact pretty damn practical. Seriously, Remington's 30/06 180gr Express load is a whole 1" flatter at 300yds than their .375/270gr load with a 100yd zero. Granted 4300ftlbs of muzzle energy is more than needed for hunting anything in TN but you surely could...and from any range you'd care to shoot.

And of all the "African" calibers you'd surely be able to find ammo more easily (and cheaper) than anything else.

Guest frank318

After doing a little online research on what I've found here i think the .375 H&H is what I'm gonna look for. After i save a little more money. Thanks all!

I would suggest checking out the writings by Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Maybe for the purposes of enjoying good hunting stories. Capstick was an anomaly however, in selection of DG firearms uses. He often used smaller caliber rounds, like 270 to kill elephants. He was an extremely good shot and had nerves of steel. Fortunately African countries don't allow hunters to use such rifles in order to do what he did. More hunters would die if they tried to recreate his exploits. There are a fe who could, most would fail. There are plenty of good sources for rifle advice.

I think a 375 would be a good choice. There are a couple of inexpensive, but good rifles out there in that cartridge. One is the CZ as I mentioned before. The other is the Remington 798. One of my co-workers found a 798 earlier this year in 375 for less than $500. He hasn't taken it to Africa yet, but he did dispatch a large American Buffalo with it just after getting it. Have fun finding the rifle you want.

Maybe for the purposes of enjoying good hunting stories. Capstick was an anomaly however, in selection of DG firearms uses. He often used smaller caliber rounds, like 270 to kill elephants. He was an extremely good shot and had nerves of steel. Fortunately African countries don't allow hunters to use such rifles in order to do what he did. More hunters would die if they tried to recreate his exploits. There are a fe who could, most would fail. There are plenty of good sources for rifle advice.

I think a 375 would be a good choice. There are a couple of inexpensive, but good rifles out there in that cartridge. One is the CZ as I mentioned before. The other is the Remington 798. One of my co-workers found a 798 earlier this year in 375 for less than $500. He hasn't taken it to Africa yet, but he did dispatch a large American Buffalo with it just after getting it. Have fun finding the rifle you want.

Regarding Capstick I was thought he was most associated with the "normal" African calibers but particularly the .470 Nitro. In fact he was the inspiration for the .470 Capstick. (which IIRC is basically a .375 H&H with a .475 bullet)

Agreed that for the money it'd be hard to beat a CZ though not the most refined and generally considered on the heavy side. (though in African calibers a little extra weight does help with recoil) While the arguments are endless it would seem most "professionals" seem to choose CF actions over PF. I actually ran across one of the limited run .375 "Classic" 700's a few years ago for a really good price. Traditionally speaking I'd rather have a mauser/M70 for that caliber but still...it was an awfully good deal.

Yes the CZ is not refined, but it is durable and accurate. It may be somewhat heavy, but my experience has been that I like heavier. The Remington 798 is not a 70o action, but a mauser action. It is also not refined, but it is a good rifle.

• 2 months later...

Now if you just want one, that's great, but if you're just looking for a big game gun to do the job,What could you possibly be hunting that a 30/06 isn't enough? It's taken just about every animal on earth and fits nicely into you're budget. Especially if you can "budget" in some reloading equipment.

Now if you just want one, that's great, but if you're just looking for a big game gun to do the job,What could you possibly be hunting that a 30/06 isn't enough? It's taken just about every animal on earth and fits nicely into you're budget. Especially if you can "budget" in some reloading equipment.

Well for one thing it isn't legal to hunt everything, in Africa for instance, with a 30-06. Some dangerous game have a minimum requirement of 375 H&H. Obviously this hasn't always been the case as Capstick hunted elephant with the 270. However most hunters are also not Capstick and many are nowhere near as good as they think they are.