AR for the 7.62x39 Russian round?

Guest Burgan

Guest Burgan

I'll probably get some flak for even bringing up getting a AR platform rifle chambered in a non-NATO round. But I'm trying to see if anyone has played with these AR-47 type rifles. I have been looking to see if anyone makes the AR platform for the 7.62x39. I saw that Colt and DPMS Panther used to make them but I don't think they do anymore. Also, I think currently Olympic Arms and Armalite make 7.62x39 ARs. But them only thing that I don't like is the standard AR magwell they all used. I read alot about feeding issues because of the tapered russian round.

The other day I came across a guy that builds AR-47s he machines AR lowers that will allow the AK mags to work out of 6066 T6 aluminum and will mod uppers to fit his lower:

lower_cu.jpg

But he also makes complete rifles:

ar47_rifle.jpg

ar47_drum.jpg

mag_cu.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Burgan

I've always thought the greatest flaw of the AR system is the small 5.56 round vs a larger round. But the greatest flaw of the AK platform is the low accuracy. But then again the AK was made to lay down as much firepower as possible for extended periods of time.

He said he would sell the complete rifle for a little over a grand. Which is pretty good when you compare it to the other AR in 7.62x39 on the market that have the standard mag wells.

I'd like to know the parts included in this rifle, but I like the idea :ohyeah:

Also, just wanted to note that the brand of ammo lends to the AK's innaccuracy (IE Wolf isn't as accurate as Hornady).

I think the M&P S&W AR can be had in this caliber (not 100% sure). I agree that the 223 is too small and wouldnt use it as my first choice for anything other than range fun, really.

Edit- my bad, it was colt, not S&W.

Edited by Jonnin

I looked into an AR in 7.62x39 several years ago and found the same issues. Some folks had guns that ran great, others were very problematic. All were expensive and rather hard to find. Got a link to this one? I'm curious.

I own a Colt Sporter in 7.62x39 that is one of my favorite rifles and is only handicapped by the availability of reliable magazines. It outshoots my Sagia in 7.62x39 and is a fun gun to take to the range. I wasn’t aware of anyone milling out AR receivers to accept AK magazines, which BTW is a fantastic ideal. Can you provide contact information for this individual so that those of us who are interested may contact him?

I own a Colt Sporter in 7.62x39 that is one of my favorite rifles and is only handicapped by the availability of reliable magazines. It outshoots my Sagia in 7.62x39 and is a fun gun to take to the range. I wasn’t aware of anyone milling out AR receivers to accept AK magazines, which BTW is a fantastic ideal. Can you provide contact information for this individual so that those of us who are interested may contact him?

Could you post it up on the board. I am intrested.

Guest Burgan

Yeah, the guy that does it is runs the AR-47.com site. I will amit his site is a little lacking. I've been emailing back and forth with him. and have gotten some informations cleared up.

It's $375 for a striped Lower machined out of billet to fit the AK mags

He also does modifications on the uppers and carriers to all proper fit and feeding of Russian round: $125

He also can do "Auto" marking for DIAS on his lower for an additional $25

I'm still in communication with him so I'll update the more information I find out (like what the rifle is comprised of ect.)

I can attest that the AK's accuracy or lack there of is due more to ammunition quality than the weapon's design. While overseas we had and used brass cased, high quality, American made ammunition in a lot of the AK's our locals used. When using the brass cased ammunition we had locals, using open sights, hit man sized steel targets 7 out of 10 times using the quality ammo. Using steel cased ammo they would never have time hitting the targets as often.

We had some cheap Serbian surplus 5.56 that made it into our supplies at one point. We used it for practice only but shooting those out of our AR's resulted in miserable accuracy. We couldn't even get as many hits on target using the Serbian stuff as the AK's using the steel cased stuff. Using good quality ammo our hits were generally around 8 or 9 hits out of ten with our AR's.

Dolomite

1305726013.jpg

It is possible with a standard AR lower. Magazines are not perfect, but once they work... They work. I shot everything from Wolf, Yugo surplus, Silver Bear and WWB with no failures. PMC Bronze for some reason doesn't work.

With AK's still readily available for $450 or less I can't justify buying an upper for the cost of an entire rifle. I don't own an AK but do have a few AR's. I too considered the upper but decided I will just buy an AK. I'll use the money I save to buy 1000 rounds of ammo.

Guest Keinengel

+1 to the above post.

While I enjoy the AR platform a great deal and have for a long time, I have to say I'd rather just buy an AK.

The locals were shooting steel at distances up to 350 yards. Had a few really good shots that could hit the 350 yard targets 7 out of 10 times using their AK's with open sights. I would let them shoot my AR with a red dot and those same guys would get 9 out of 10. In addition to the weapons and ammo it was also the fact they were just good shots.

And we had some on the other end of the spectrum. They couldn't grasp the concept of sight picture and sight alignment. No matter how much we trained and how many shots we fired with them they could never hit a target with their AK. Even at 25 yards they were digging into the dirt or shooting wildly over the targets.

Just like American's, some shoot well naturally and soem don't. I am in the don't category so I as much as I can to stay proficient.

It is funny, actually it isn't, but intelligence and understanding by locals had more to do with food quality than anything. Here people are just lazy but most are still somewhat intelligent. There they have a lot of problems understanding even the most basic stuff. I spoke to a terp and he said it is because they were starved as kids and never developed mentally. Watching locals try to figure out why the magical stick that makes light (flashlight) stopped working would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

Dolomite

Guest Keinengel

I saw some very similar situations while I was over. It really is sad. Not to derail the thread but I'm curious.. Are you a defense contractor? Private Security perhaps?

Guest Burgan

Sorry I haven't gotten back to everyone with an update from Michael (the fella making the rifles). But as soon as I started asking him for pictures of his rifles he's made up and who the upper was made by he just dropped off the face of the earth.

Right now a rifle really wouldn't do me much good. I've got my eye on the CZ527 Carbine in the russian 7.62x39. It would be much cheaper than the AR platform rifle. Though an AK would be nice to have. I held a VEPR about a month or so ago, but boy they sure are expensive (compared to other AKs).

Guest Burgan
I saw some very similar situations while I was over. It really is sad. Not to derail the thread but I'm curious.. Are you a defense contractor? Private Security perhaps?

Niether, I have done some Army training (tactical squad, M9 qualification, M4 qualification, etc) thanks to ROTC. Though I am not in ROTC anymore and will never get the chance to serve due to a DQ from both the Army MEPS and Navy MEPS.

I just figured if there was ever a need to arm myself against a threat it would nice to have a round with more penetation than a 5.56 and would be easier and cheaper to come by.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to everyone with an update from Michael (the fella making the rifles). But as soon as I started asking him for pictures of his rifles he's made up and who the upper was made by he just dropped off the face of the earth.

Right now a rifle really wouldn't do me much good. I've got my eye on the CZ527 Carbine in the russian 7.62x39. It would be much cheaper than the AR platform rifle. Though an AK would be nice to have. I held a VEPR about a month or so ago, but boy they sure are expensive (compared to other AKs).

Hope this isn't too off line here. I' have to agree about the CZ527 Carbine. I've been drooling over one in a local shop. Looks good. Feels absolutely great in my hands. Just having a hard time justifing buying another rifle that will in all likeyhood just sit around after firing a couple of mags. But still....

• 2 weeks later...