TN HCP price increase

Guest Boomhower

Guest Boomhower

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but the search terms I used never turned up anything.My wife was informed last week at the DMV (straw plains office) that the $115 state charge will be going up to $165 on Aug. 1st. Has anyone else heard of this? I can't find anything announcing this on the web....Also wondering if the $50 renewal fee is supposed to increase as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Nothing is mentioned on the TN DoS website and a cursory Googling didn't bring anything up. Maybe the employee was just misinformed?

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Maybe the employee was just misinformed?

Wouldnt be the first time a DMV worker didnt know what they were talking about. When I applied for my permit I asked if I could register for my fingerprinting online. The lady told me "NO, you HAVE to call the phone number to register."

So I came home & registered online. :D Seems like they usually dont know what they are talking about. ;)

Guest President Fernatt

Spoke to the lady at the DMV just out of ignorance to gain some info on this. She said the application fee is $115 and if you complete the fingerprints before August the fingerprinting is free. However, I was informed that if you did not complete the fingerprinting by August it would be an additional 48$ fee for the prints. I don't remember if this was in my literature when I got my permit so I'm not sure if this is a new thing or not. There might have always been a 30 day stipulation on the free fingerprints service or this may be something new the state is starting in August. Like I said, I don't remember what the info said when I got my prints done because I did it the very next day...certainly in no risk of a 30 day limit breach. Do any of you know if this is a new thing or something that was always done??

I'm not sure...way back when I got mine the Dept of Safety did the printing themselves. I can see there being a time limit to get your prints done, but I would think it would be more like having to apply again if you went past the limit as opposed to paying for the prints.

But whatever the case is, it is the first I've heard of it.

Spoke to the lady at the DMV just out of ignorance to gain some info on this. She said the application fee is $115 and if you complete the fingerprints before August the fingerprinting is free.

My understanding is that the fingerprinting currently isn't 'free' - it is simply part of what is supposed to be covered by that $115 fee that we pay for the 'privilege' of legally exercising a natural right. The fingerprint check, unless I am mistaken, is performed by the company that has the contract to do fingerprint checks for the TBI. Perhaps that company is raising it's rates or another company has gotten the contract?

Guest WyattEarp

I don't understand why the DoS no longer does it, why do you have to go to one place to submit an application, then schedule an appt and go to another somewhere else to do the fingerprinting?

wait, it's the gubberment we're talking about her, never mind I said anything.

So if we get our handgun class this weekend and get everything done next week the 115 will still cover the fingerprints for CoGent? I had to pay the $48 for my fingerprints for my EMS license through them...

Guest President Fernatt

As long as you get everything done before August I think you are good to go for the $115 fee. It is absolutely ridiculous that the dmv can't do simple fingerprinting. Instead I guess that state contracts it out for a portion of the $115 fee...greedy state probably doesn't want to do that anymore = the new $48 fee. Your constitutional rights aren't cheap folks lol

I called them today. Its not a price increase. they are changing the fingerprint service, to another service on 8-1-11. They explained to me that if you pay your 115.00 this month that you better get your fingerprints done before 7-31-11 or you will have to pay extra for fingerprinting. They told me after they start with their new service on 8-1 and you pay your permit fee after this date then thats all you have to pay, fingerprints will still be included.

That is ridiculous!! It seems we already have one of the highest costs for the permit around and now they are going to add $48. Because of vacation and work obligations, I have had to wait till the middle of August before I can take the class. Very frustrating.:D

That is ridiculous!! It seems we already have one of the highest costs for the permit around and now they are going to add $48. Because of vacation and work obligations, I have had to wait till the middle of August before I can take the class. Very frustrating.:D
You wont have to pay any extra....its all included still unless there is a lapse in when you pay your fee and get your prints done at the end of this month!
Guest bkelm18

They are not adding anything. They are switching services. If you apply before Aug 1st, you have to get your prints done before they switch on Aug 1st, if not you have to pay the extra $$. After Aug 1st everything will be back to normal.

Yes apparently it's no longer at you're discretion where to go get you're fingerprints. You have to go to one specific place (in Knoxville anyhow). I was not aware of the extra price though.

This is how it was years ago... had to take class, then schedule appointment for printing. I believe it was done by the Sheriff's office, in the old Sear's building on Central Ave. Same place my wife had to get printed for her teaching certificate. I guess they changed it at some point, because she was able to get printed at the same place she took her HCP class last year. I guess they are going back to something like the old system now?

Guest President Fernatt

I don't care what they are doing (charging more, changing services, or switching systems, etc) ...its still freakin' annoying! :D

Ok...I get it....I think...

NO INCREASE!!!

The Dept of Safety pays for the fingerprinting out of the $115 application fee.

It just depends on whether you apply on or before 7-31-11 or on or after 8-1-11 where they will send the money for fingerprinting and if the send it to the current company, you need to get fingerprinted before they are no longer the finger print provider.

One should be able to get fingerprinted before 7-31-11 if they apply this week, but as it gets closer, wonder what they will do. I would hate to apply on 7-31-11 and not know ahead of time that I had better go get printed that same day.

Ok, so I just may have to go somewhere else to get my fingerprints into the system other than the DMV or whatever if it is after August 1st, correct?

Regardless of when you go, you will have to go to another location besides the Dept of Safety office you go to to be fingerprinted.

From what I can gather thing is, if you apply on or before 7-31-11 you need to go to where ever they tell you to go to get fingerprinted on or before 7-31-11. If you apply on or after 8-1-11 there shouldn't be any problem or rush.