Happiness is...

• Administrator

Happiness is being provided the opportunity to work late night infrastructure updates for your company, from home, with a glass of lemonade and a firearm sitting on your desk in plain sight.

Some of my peers work from home 2-3 days per week and even others work from home entirely unless needed. I'm truly blessed to have a great job with a great company once again. Even if we are putting in some horrendously long, late hours this month to take care of some projects. :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to make light of your sentiments...but honestly, this was the first thing that popped into my mind.

"Happiness...is a warm gun" Courtesy of the Beatles. And yeah, if I were any good at this, I'd have a clip with them singing linked here.

• Administrator
Not to make light of your sentiments...but honestly, this was the first thing that popped into my mind.

"Happiness...is a warm gun" Courtesy of the Beatles. And yeah, if I were any good at this, I'd have a clip with them singing linked here.

Don't think that song hasn't been in my head all evening as well! :)

Glad to hear things are going well! Life is good!

Indeed it is.

Hope you have a happier Moose as well.

He's doing much better, thanks! Poor guy has had a rough week.

I work from home in the family business. I know what you mean. When I think of going back to what I was doing, It makes me happy I don't have to. Happiness working at home means not having to commute and share the road with imbeciles, not burning money on gas and fast food, eating from my own fridge, using my own toilet, Happiness is knowing I have to be to work by 8am and I can set the clock for 7:45 and not be late, or better yet, set the clock for 6 and do some reloading while it's nice and cool in the shop.

Yup, homework ain't what it used to be. Thank God.

My job can be done from home, however it is one of of those thing if allowed by management. It is allowable from time to time. I have a great record so I can get on the list with no problem; however since I live very close to work, I have less lag then using their VPN with the IP phones. Something about the IP phones over the VPN just don't sound right to me and have a strange echo. So I would rather just drive in.

However, I recently changed positions and barely use the phones so I may start working from home again.

My wife has a job that could easily be done from home, at least some of the time, but the management simply won't allow it. It's one of those examples of how many folks won't change the way of doing business just because that's the way they have always done things. But of course, they have issued her a CrackBerry in order to do work when she's out of the office.

All you guys that work at home, are all of you computer/IT industry?

Whaaaat? Shoot no man, I get greasy for a living.

I thought "IT" was a Stephen King novel. My iMac is just like what scientists say the human brain is; only 10% of it's true potential ever gets used. :D

My wife works from home. She used to be really outgoing, but working from home has turned her into quite the intravert. I've never been very social, yet I'm out among people all day every day. Weird, huh?

Glad to hear your new job is working out, David. Life's too short to do something you hate every day.

Guest Lester Weevils
All you guys that work at home, are all of you computer/IT industry?

Mostly for the last 15 years, but did other home work before that.

• Administrator

I will say that it is harder for me to get as much work done in the office as I get done working from home. Here at the office there are so many other distractions vying for pieces of my time. People stopping by and expecting you to drop whatever you're doing at the moment to look at something for them, phone ringing, etc. At home I can just focus on the tasks at hand and do my work.

Kind of the polar opposite of what so many people say it is like working from home.

I will say that it is harder for me to get as much work done in the office as I get done working from home. Here at the office there are so many other distractions vying for pieces of my time. People stopping by and expecting you to drop whatever you're doing at the moment to look at something for them, phone ringing, etc. At home I can just focus on the tasks at hand and do my work.

Kind of the polar opposite of what so many people say it is like working from home.

I hear ya! I WFH 2 days a week and my productivity is much higher on those days than the other 3. I tend to sign on earlier and sign off later than required because I don't have to fight traffic. I eat at my desk most of the time. I occasionally go out to the Smyrna bowling alley to bowl a few games for $1 each to get away from work. No way to do that from the office in just an hour.

I find it odd that the boss doesn't have me working from home all 5 days per week.

Only thing I will say is that it's hard for my wife to remember that I am actually an employee during the day. Not that she harps on me or anything, but she has grown very accustomed to having me here to do things at any time. I've hurt her feelings more than once by dropping what I was doing for her to tend to a customer. She understands though....doesn't like it!, but understands.

Guest mustangdave
I hear ya! I WFH 2 days a week and my productivity is much higher on those days than the other 3.

I find it odd that the boss doesn't have me working from home all 5 days per week.

Don't I wish.....:)

Only thing I will say is that it's hard for my wife to remember that I am actually an employee during the day. Not that she harps on me or anything, but she has grown very accustomed to having me here to do things at any time. I've hurt her feelings more than once by dropping what I was doing for her to tend to a customer. She understands though....doesn't like it!, but understands.

Yeah I often get treated like I don't have a job.

Guest justluck

I work at home quite a lot. I've been retired for about 17 years now. The only down side is that the pay is not quite as good now.