Outdoor ranges Nashville area

willis68

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one off of River Road that is a ran by the Cheatham WMA in Cheatham County South of Cumberland River, near Ashland City l believe it is a 200yd range for any type of firearm on the market the phone number is 615-792-4510.

Thanks

Guest mace8924

Sorry guys the one at the Cheatham is only a 100 yrd. range. They also have a 25 yrd backstop and a 50 yrd back stop. I shot there alot when I lived in Ashland City. Also to shot there you have to stop and buy a 2hr. pass at the market before entering the WMA. Cost is something like $3 or you can pay $110 for a year pass.

Guest Killthewabbit

The price for the Cheatham range is now up $5.50

Nice range...But it is unsupervised...you have to be careful, cause sometimes there can be a total lapse of range ettiquete...mostly someone fiddlin' with their gun while you're downrange changin' targets.

Also...I've heard stories, although I've never seen it, about someones weapon walkin' off while they have their back to the firing line when they get up to change targets.

I love goin to th' range though...it's the only range around Nashville that you can shoot somethin' other than paper. And if you're a brass collector, you'll be in heaven.

NO FULL AUTO....The ranger will have a total coniption FIT if he hears even anything that sounds like full auto.

Edited by Killthewabbit
Guest ETS_Inc

The Cheatham County TWRA range involves taking your life into your own hands when you go there. it is fairly remote, and given some of the yahoos who visit there, I'm not surprised we haven't read about a killing out there yet, either accidental or intentional.

The Stone's River range is very nice. I volunteer out there as an RSO when time permits. The biggest drawback, in my opinion, is the ban on humanoid targets. (We don't want to offend the many liberal pantywastes who are making this great State their new home.

Guest ScottD

Not to hijack but does anyone know of ranges in the Nashville area were you can shoot random stuff. Army men, cars, dishwashers, etc etc?

Guest gcrookston
I hear the Stones River range is nice...

http://www.tngunowners.com/dynamics/showentry.php?e=6&catid=4

It is a very clean facility, well maintained and well controlled. I've been there twice, but the rifle range has been limited to 100 yrds, as the 200 yrd range is prown to richochete and was closed Dec and in Jan. As all my long guns (except .22), are zeroed for 200 yrds, it's kind of a dud to shoot 100 yrds, but I was pleasantly suprised to find me dope for sea level is only 1 click away from 500 feet above.

I personally prefer a range with no adult supervision, but I'll qualify that with this statement: I prefer no adult supervision with adults around. I've shot a lot of ranges, and will pack up and go home when "idjits" appear.

In Colorado the range I belonged to was unsupervised. Up to 200 yrds from the first bench. flag the road and 500 yrds were available. No one around and 1,000 yards was available, provided you had a spotter -- not so much for the wind, but for traffic on the frontage road you shot across and across the 500 and 100/200 benches.

Guest HexHead
The Stone's River range is very nice. I volunteer out there as an RSO when time permits. The biggest drawback, in my opinion, is the ban on humanoid targets. (We don't want to offend the many liberal pantywastes who are making this great State their new home.

You can't bring a silhouette target there?

Guest Killthewabbit
You can't bring a silhouette target there?

Nope...No silhouettes...Only circles or squares.

Gotta love the TWRA...ie. range nazis. :wave:

If you bring a silhouette you have to fold the head under. I am an annual member($101.00) and they pretty much leave me alone. They get all levels of shooters and the more they recognize your face the less they supervise.

I personally prefer a range with no adult supervision

I was going to call you Thursday to see about checking out the other range on Saturday; but when I looked at the whether and saw 16 degrees and snow I changed my mind. :)

I have had my new Remington 700 VLS for two weeks now and have not got to shoot it. willy_nilly.gif

Guest bang-flash

another range i frequent is the natchez trace range. its a drive to get to exit 116 off of i-40 west, but is worth the drive imo. no fee, free range and non-static firing line.

Guest flesheatingvirus
If you bring a silhouette you have to fold the head under.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. At least in a while. Who would want to associate guns with killing people anyway? :cool:

Guest stovepipe

Stones River is a great range, but the RSOs tend to breathe down your neck. Cheatham is the opposite, but I wouldn't go there without a posse. Great place to shoot tin cans, clays, TV sets, and old cars. From what I've seen anything goes. - It's a unique place, for sure. Body armor recommended.

(TV sets and cars, may be stretching the truth, but not by much...)

Owl Hollow Gun Club has a range south of Franklin by about 10 miles. Its $50/year and you have to go through a safety class before joining. I haven't shot there in a few years but I recently renewed my membership. Now I just need some free time and good weather!