I didn't know what to do.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm a sloppy dresser. I don't care what people think, but at the same time, I understand when the "older guys" at gunshops/shows don't want to treat me the same as the other "good ole boys". How you are treated depends heavily on how you present yourself. That's not racist or profiling, that's just fact.

Does that matter? What if he saw on the news they robbed the place or shot someone after he left and were looking for info? Oops sorry, I didn't want to be racist so I didn't bother to take down the tag number of the car that was obviously theirs. :screwy: There's a HUGE difference between sticking your nose where it doesn't belong and being cautious.

What did he do wrong? Because he was young person driving a crap car does that mean that he was about to commit a crime. The op stated that he was conducting business.

I've been in this situation more than once...at my local gunshop one time 3 hoody looking types came in when I was ready to leave...since there was only one guy working at the shop, I hung around, just in case...profiling? yes. But I'd want similar if I was in the employees situation. None of my business perhaps, but I wasnt gonna leave him hanging...conversely...similar situation occured at the same gun shop when 2 hood y types came in but the owner was there and about 3 of his employees., all armed of course..I was ready to leave and I did, knowing full well that they could handle anything that developed.

I'm sick and tired of profiling being considered racist or a bad thing...look at who and where the most crimes are committed...it's the same at the airports with TSA...they search little old ladies, despite the profile of the average terrorist being not like her...ya cant JUST profile, but profiling is NOT a bad thing...JEEZ.

Nothing wrong with it until you become the one being profiled.

Hey, I'm a sloppy dresser. I don't care what people think, but at the same time, I understand when the "older guys" at gunshops/shows don't want to treat me the same as the other "good ole boys". How you are treated depends heavily on how you present yourself. That's not racist or profiling, that's just fact.

Same. When I am at work I wear button down shirts, sometimes with a tie, slacks and fancy shiny shoes. My hair is combed and my beard is neatly trimmed.

When I go out on Saturday I am in a twenty year old beat up ball cap, a t-shirt and a pair of jeans (most likely stained since I pretend I am a mechanic on occasion.) No one ever bothers to notice the beat up boots that cost a pretty penny and will last a decade.

Oh, and I am also covered in tattoos with a sleeve.

Do I get treated differently?

Yeah.

Does it bother me?

No.

I actually get a kick out of it. I have a good job, am well educated, have a great family and know what makes me happy.

To me, that means I am better off than a lot of folks in the world, especially those that would judge me.

For those of you that like to profile, think about this.

Back on the 80s, back when you were young with long hair, metallica t shirt, baggy dark clothing, you were looked at the same way. You were not out to rob people like the movies portrayed. You were not out pulling switch blades on little old blue haired ladies.

You were only being youthful and following the trends of the day.

Being a young black male dressed in baggy clothes does not make you a thug.

Being a young "orange" male with spiked hair does not make you a mobster's kid.

Being a middle-aged white male in a 78 Monte Carlo does not make you a racist hick.

Being a young female in scantily clad clothing does not make you an easy tramp.

Ok, well, maybe the last one is true but y'all get the gist

Open your minds a little and you might just be surprised at what you learn. And you might even make a new range buddy :screwy:

Edited by strickj
  • Administrator
Isn't that profiling? All he did was look young, dressed differently from you and drove a vehicle that may not be age appropriate for you.

Contrary to popular politically-correct opinion, profiling is a legitimate tool. We should all engage in profiling to an extent as part of our "situational awareness" methodology. That does not mean you should go on high alert if you see someone different, but if it tweaks your spidey sense, pay attention and adjust accordingly.

Just keeping it real.

Guest Victor9er
If something looks out of place, it might be. It also might not be. Paying attention in case it is, makes good sense to me.

Very true... there's also a fine line between "paying attention" and "being paranoid" as well.

Guest bkelm18
For those of you that like to profile, think about this.

Back on the 80s, back when you were young with long hair, metallica t shirt, baggy dark clothing, you were looked at the same way. You were not out to rob people like the movies portrayed. You were not out pulling switch blades on little old blue haired ladies.

You were only being youthful and following the trends of the day.

Being a young black male dressed in baggy clothes does not make you a thug.

Being a young "orange" male with spiked hair does not make you a mobster's kid.

Being a middle-aged white male in a 78 Monte Carlo does not make you a racist hick.

Being a young female in scantily clad clothing does not make you an easy tramp.

Ok, well, maybe the last one is true but y'all get the gist

Open your minds a little and you might just be surprised at what you learn. And you might even make a new range buddy :rolleyes:

Whilst I see your point, having situational awareness is key to a proper defense mindset. Walking around with your head in the clouds thinking everyone is your buddy is going to leave you high and dry if the stuff goes down. As Mike said, everybody profiles. Don't try to admit you don't. Like I said, there's a huge difference between freaking out at the drop of the hat and calling the cops and just playing it cool but keeping your eyes open. The former benefits no one, the latter can save your life.

Guest db99wj
Whilst I see your point, having situational awareness is key to a proper defense mindset. Walking around with your head in the clouds thinking everyone is your buddy is going to leave you high and dry if the stuff goes down. As Mike said, everybody profiles. Don't try to admit you don't. Like I said, there's a huge difference between freaking out at the drop of the hat and calling the cops and just playing it cool but keeping your eyes open. The former benefits no one, the latter can save your life.

Exactly.

We should all engage in profiling to an extent as part of our "situational awareness" methodology. That does not mean you should go on high alert if you see someone different, but if it tweaks your spidey sense, pay attention and adjust accordingly.

I can agree with this and I attempt to practice these habits daily. In my own uneducated way your statement was what I was trying to say. Different does not automatically make a person a threat.

Situational awareness is very good thing. Assuming that a crime is about to be committed because of someones car, dress or color is ignorant.

No one said anything about not having awareness.

But thinking everyone with big rims on a cheap car is a thug and is out to kill you is just nonsense.

Everyone here can be quoted as saying "crime happens everywhere"... but it seems only "young boys with big rims" will commit those crimes. :rolleyes:

I just saw on the news where cops have arrested someone holding up pharmacies all over se.TN and nw.GA. The robber was an older white woman. I guess we can all now agree to add older white women to the ole' profile list?