11/87 - Picky eater

Guest mcdowdjr

Guest mcdowdjr

Hey guys,

Newbie with a Remington 11/87. Having trouble getting it to cycle. Slugs cycle fine, but birdshot gives me trouble. I can usually get about 2 or 3, then it doesn't eject after fire.

Any suggestions?

Tried to search the forums...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcdowdjr

I guess it would help if I posted that.

11/87 12ga 2-3/4 to 3 inch shells, 20-1/2inch barrel smooth bore. smooth bore choke.

I've tried Federal Game & Target Load 2-3/4inch, 3.25dram, 1oz shot, 8 shot and

Winchester AA 2-3/4inch, 1300FPS, 1-1/8oz, 7-1/2 shot.

Guest mcdowdjr

I've stipped the gun all the way down and checked the gas ports, they were dirty, but not clogged. The barrel is not rated for magnum.

Not sure, is the gun broken in (do shotguns need much break in??) or something? It sure sounds like that ammo should work in that gun barring a problem of getting the gas to push the action. Does it have the 2 ring setup, where you have to ensure that the gap in the rings is not aligned? Thats the only other thing I can think of tonight.

You probably just need to try heavier loads. Your setup appears to be a defensive shotgun, which are usually designed for higher pressure loads. Pick up a couple boxes of 00 Buck and see how it cycles. I imagine it is just sprung too heavy for the field loads you are trying to use.

In that case, depending on what you want to DO with the gun, you may be able to have a gunsmith change the port hole to cycle the weaker ammo, but that makes heavy loads kick a LOT more. We did that to our 1100 and it will take very wimpy ammo, which is great as its a 3 gun build and if I want to shoot heavy loads I have a second barrel.

Drill out the gas ports on the barrel the next size drill bit up. I do it all the time with remingtons.

The magnum barrels have one gas hole. You can either drill it larger or add a second. Field barrels have two holes. You can drill one at a time and try, or just do both.

Well, I'm about to look into getting a new trigger grouping for it. Genius who installed the side saddle before I owned it did so by drilling 2 holes in the thing and runnin' screws through. Drilled right through the trigger grouping. Now I've got 2 screws stickin' out the side of the gun that have to stay in so the trigger grouping won't come out of place.

Well, I'm about to look into getting a new trigger grouping for it. Genius who installed the side saddle before I owned it did so by drilling 2 holes in the thing and runnin' screws through. Drilled right through the trigger grouping. Now I've got 2 screws stickin' out the side of the gun that have to stay in so the trigger grouping won't come out of place.

EDIT: I see you are talking about an 870 -- dude, that IS the way the trigger group is held in place, fellow didn't drill any holes (unless there are two extra new ones).

Sidesaddles generally use existing pin holes, although they come with different longer pins/bolts than the stock flush pins.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Well I still don't like it.

That's the way they are made. Note the two holes with flush pins.

Might as well not like the moon.

img4764ez5.jpg

I would take it to a gunsmith if you are going to make any changes. It would be a shame to ruin a perfectly good shotty because you don't know what you are doing.

In this case, absolutely agree.

I'll offer $100 for that ugly ole 870 with the ugly ole holes in it and all. :yuck:

- OS

It looks to be identical to my 1100. Again, I had the gunsmith drill my ports out, the DIY approach is fine if you either know how big to go or like the trial and error approach. If you only shoot light loads, this is THE thing to have done, it will then be usable for light loads. Buy a couple of pins (this can't be that expensive) or have them made to get it flush, and you should be good to go.

Ok, who the hel said I was doing anything to it, and who the hel said I don't know what I'm doing. So I didn't know they were made that way, big deal. I make it a personal matter to learn the internals and externals of every firearm I own. If the model I had gotten had come with a manual I might've been aware that they're supposed to be made that way. I'm perfectly of taking all the pieces apart, and putting them all back together like a big boy. I've already done so to replace the mag spring and follower.

Ok, who the hel said I was doing anything to it, and who the hel said I don't know what I'm doing. So I didn't know they were made that way, big deal. I make it a personal matter to learn the internals and externals of every firearm I own. If the model I had gotten had come with a manual I might've been aware that they're supposed to be made that way. I'm perfectly of taking all the pieces apart, and putting them all back together like a big boy. I've already done so to replace the mag spring and follower.

Lighten up, PizzaDude.

Just trying to help before you weld up factory holes and buy an unneeded trigger group. :D

870 Manual:

http://remington.com/~/media/Files/Owners-Manuals/om_870.ashx

- OS

Make sure you have all the parts,I bought a used 1187 that would not fire more than 1 shot,I tried all brand of ammo light load heavy load nothing would work,replaced recoil spring ,seal, piston,gas cylinder spring ,all to get nowhere.Than one day i pulled up a schematic and figured out one part was not in my gun,is the gas cylinder collar it goes over the magazine after the barrel as been inserted in to the receiver,then you have the forehand and finally the magazine cap.I see how easy would be to forget to replace it after a cleaning .If you decide to look at a schematic be sure you have the one for the 1187,not 1100 or 870,these gun do not use that part.

Remingtoncountrystore.com has a clear photo of the part i am referring to again be sure you are looking at the 1187 page.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Danny.