Anyone here volunteer their time to help others or with organizations?

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

Just curious if anyone here volunteers their time to go help others?

kids? elderly people? disabled, or maybe helping build houses for the less fortunate?

There's a special woman who made a difference in my life a little over a year ago, and even though she's no longer in my life, she has awoken some things inside me I didn't know existed until she came along.

Anyways, I've looked into volunteering with United Way, but they didn't have much in the way of what I was looking for (most of it was loading a truck with canned foods or setting tables and chairs up and they were too far away in downtown Nashville), and tried to google a few things, but no luck with anything close to Murfreesboro.

I've thought about this for a year, and while I have been busy with school and work, during the past year, I haven't been so busy I couldn't have taken a day or two once a month to go do SOMETHING, to make a difference and not just think about myself and what everyone can do for me. I'm tired of thinking about it and ready to go do it.

Since I moved here in 2007, there's been A LOT of people go out of their way to help me when I needed it (and I know I didn't show it at the time, but I am truly grateful for their help), and it's time I give back to someone else who can use some help.

So if you're a part of any volunteer projects, you run one, or you know someone who does and that needs more help, I'd like to be a part of it and come help.

thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mn32768

I've been volunteering in the foster care review board of the Knox County juvenile court for a few years now. The purpose of the FCRB is to make sure foster kids get out of foster care in a timely fashion and get the services they need (i.e. make sure the Department of Children's Services does their job). They need volunteers all the time, it's only one evening a month. If you're interested contact your local juvenile court. Of course, if you want to really get into it, there's always a shortage of foster/adoptive parents...

Guest WyattEarp

mn, thanks I will check with the Juvenile Court here in Murfreesboro, and see if there is any volunteer positions, sounds like a great idea.

not that I have anything against animals, because I have grown up around cats (and all 3 are at my parents house) , but I'm looking to make a difference in people's lives.

I commend you, wyattearp. I offer the following as a possibility for you and others.

I volunteer at Operation Stand Down in Nashville. Their annual event is 3,4 and 5 November. The idea of the event is to get homeless veterans off the streets for a few days and give them some help. They are collected from various locations or make their own way there, given a safe place to sleep for a few days, with plenty of food and given clothing. Local musicians provide entertainment. They have AA and NA meetings on site. VA comes in and provides minor medical and mental heath care, dentists, volunteer barbers are on hand. Meals are provided free to volunteers and participants and are donated by various organizations...one I remember from last year was the Order of the Purple Heart. A local judge has his staff there to help with some minor legal and criminal issues. There are many Federal, state, and local agencies that come together to help vets. Volunteers are also needed to help set up and tear down and staff various duties. You can donate money, clothing time, and probably other stuff too. If anyone wants to donate or help, you can contact Bill Burleigh at 615) 248-1981. You can tell him John Alexander sent ya. All of the participants at this event are veterans and many have fallen on hard times. Some have substance abuse problems, some may have mental problems...some may be there because of their own fault. But these guys have served their country, some in combat, some not, but all answered the call of their country, and could use some help now. The potentially bad news...the location is the old Tennessee Prepatory School on Foster avenue off of Murfreesboro rd in Nashvillew. It may be a state building and may be posted, Im not sure about that...In any case...its a worthwhile cause. These guys either went off to fight Americas wars or at least signed up to do so. See ya there?

Edited by barewoolf
Guest WyattEarp

barewolf, thanks for the info! those who volunteer and replied to this thread, i appreciate your input, and thanks for what you do by volunteering.

Most of our time goes to animal rescue organizations but we've worked with Mercy Ministries ( Home - Mercy Ministries of America ) which has saved alot of womens lives. We also like Ronald McDonald House ( Ronald McDonald House Charities of Nashville ) though both are closer to Nashville and I'm not sure how convenient the locations will be for you in the boro which is important. While volunteering does entail self sacrifice you don't want to set yourself up for failure then regret not being able to make the commitment because of distance to travel. My mother had a problem like this with a Murfreesboro literacy program she was involved with while living north of Nashville. Her twice weekly '3 hours' of volunteering she was trying to do was turning into 4-5 each time. I think charitynavigator.org or charitywatch.org can help you find something closing to You in line with Your interests. Volunteering is hard sometimes and it helps if you find something based on an existing interest that is meaningful to you or if it makes use of some unique skillset you possess. I can volunteer with animals or with suicide prevention networks because I love them but can remain emotionally detached enough to help. I love kids but I'd be an emotional train wreck if I tried to volunteer with terminally ill children because I get attached easily. Volunteering is a wonderful job that offers more rewarding pay than any company that's ever cut me a paper check! Glad to hear you have an interest and don't give up, there's an organization that's been needing you and that's probably why you haven't settled on the others. Thanks man!

Don't overlook youth sports organizations. I've been helping with a local softball league for the last 4.5 years. I became so wrapped up in it that I still help even after my kids stopped playing. A good number (not all) of the kids apprieciate what you do. It's also a good place to meet new people. If ya keep in mind it is about the kids and not the parents it's all gravey.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm such a slow worker, have to spend more than 8 hours getting a days work done so all I can do is send money.

From long ago working in the field, two of the most effective private organizations in delivering short-term emergency services are Catholic Charities and Salvation Army.

I'm not religious but they deliver some of the best bang for the buck.

Those little church ladies are skilled at separating the wheat from the chaff and identifying people who most need help and least likely able to help themselves. That is a difficult task and a gov organization can't efficiently triage the clients lest they be accused of prejudice or favoritism. To some extent a gov organization must take client claims at face value in absence of contradicting evidence, wheras private organizations can rely more on "educated guesses".

There are numerous religious orgs who do excellent charity work, but some do not show interest in clients who are not "theologically compatible". That is great if the client matches the charity, but not so good otherwise. Salvation Army and Catholic Charities will help about anybody if they decide the person needs help. They are always short on funds, which is why it is good to send them money.

Food banks are another worthy effective charity.

Long ago in college did volunteer work at a crisis hotline. You might like that. If you google murfreesboro tn crisis hotline there seem to be several in your area. They typically need volunteers manning the phone 24/7.

Some suicide/crisis hotlines are religious operated and a few (not all) of the religious hotlines spend most of their effort trying to "save" the callers rather than counselling. Which may be OK but not my cup of tea. Others are just straight non-sectarian non-judgmental counselling.

It typically requires at least a few hours training before being allowed near a phone. It is not rocket science but you don't want to mess up a person even worse than before they called. It is interesting and useful training.

The training can be useful in the real world. The agencies will shy away from calling it "counselling training" because some words have professional connotations. But you would likely get very good training from a professional, teaching you to be a very good non-judgmental listener. A skill which is also useful for business dealings, good will from the boss, or getting a cute girl to like you (or staying on good terms with the wife)! :)

I help a bit with Boy Scouts, and also with Little League. I guess it's a bit self serving since my children are involved, but it makes it easier to find the time to help out. A local nursing home would be a good place to start, as they could always use some help. Just visiting with some of the residents can be a rewarding experience, and means a great deal to someone who has no one to talk with.

I've found United Way to be little more than a giant fund raising operation.