See if I make sense!! .40 Glock mag accepted carbine for SHTF!

So Im arranging everything for the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI senarios. I am thinning the herd to have Glock .40 cal, since I recently came across some magiazines. Im not at all well off by any means so Im not looking to spend a GAZILLION dollars on (a) one gun. So here is my collection, I have a G27, G23, and working on a G22, and along with these guns I have 10-12 standard glock magazines (cant remember off hand) and 2 31 round Victory mags. I have seen where Kel Tec, EMF, and Olympic Arms makes carbines/AR that will accept glock mags. Any others I missed? Also Mech Tech Systems makes an upper (if you will) for the glock pistol.

If your following me here Im wanting to have all the same mags and ammo for all my guns, just makes since to me ;) Im asking yall for any advice on a carbine in .40 thats accepts glock mags that yall would have. Now don't go giving me :), lol. Just give me your opinion and maybe some advice that I might need. I'm ready, let me have it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I like your thinking, but I'll add a couple of points.

First, even when fired out of a carbine, a .40S&W round is still a pistol round. There's a gap between that and a rifle round. Even a 5.56 round. Having a carbine in a rifle caliber makes a lot of sense when you're only going to have one rifle.

Second, while I'm a fan of the pistol caliber AR's a lot of manufacturers don't seem to have them all the way dialed in. A lot of them require tweaking to really run correctly. While this is frustrating in a day-to-day environment. It could be limiting/deadly in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI environment.

Third, since you stated that cost is an issue, you're buying a lot of specialized components in most pistol caliber ARs - new BCG, buffer, barrel or upper, etc... You could probably shop around a little bit and have a decent 5.56 carbine for half of what you'll spend on the pistol caliber carbine.

All that said, I like PCCs, own and shoot them. But, even if my 9mm AR were sitting right next to a 5.56 in a life or death situation, I'd almost always grab the 5.56 first.

If you decide to go this route, then have fun with it. Make sure you spend the time to get your weapon dialed in to ensure its reliability, and then get some training with it. There's no reason this setup couldn't work well within its limits.

That sounds like a good plan. My friend has the Kel-Tec and loves it. I'm not very familiar with the ARs. The one thing I can tell you for sure: don't buy those Asian military Glock mags! They are junk that I wasted money on. I've bought some used LE marked ones that are great and only paid $10 each for them

Guest Papabear

Not sure about AR type rifles that accept Glock Magazines. But I have a combo similar to what you are talking about. I bought a Beretta Storm Carbine that uses the same 92 magazines as my pistols. Carbine is a simple blowback design and runs great since it was designed for a pistol round. I think there are several pistol carbines that I would pick over a AR platform for what your looking for. As said above for the cost of a pistol caliber AR might as well make it a 5.56.

Guest Victor9er

Sounds like a good idea... but what happens if you run low on .40 caliber ammo? Or can't find any? (unlikely I know, it IS a popular choice... but this is a WHAT IF senario we are talking about here)

The way I see it, having all of your guns shoot the same caliber is certainly convenient, but if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're scrounging for ammo and you can't find your caliber then you are SOOL. I'd at least consider getting the lone wolf conversion barrel for your G22, and pick up a couple of the 17 capacity 9mm mags and in seconds you can switch to 9mm if the need arises.

BTW - I'm working on getting a G22 as well :(

Edited by Victor9er

I actually have thought about the conversion thing. You all make good points. If I build my own AR I think I have it figured to be about $609.00, Olympic Arms Complete upper, $520.00 and Spikes lower $89.99 plus shipping of course. I never really thought about running out of ammo, within the next few weeks I will have 2k rounds of .40, I suppose in a SHTF senario that might go quick.

The 40 S&W, from an 18" barrel, (according to mouseguns) will deliver somewhere around 700-800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That's not bad for a handgun cartridge. I bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine just to plink with. That darn thing has never failed in 300 rounds. The down side of the Hi-Point is it's magazine capacity. 9-10 rounds. They are working on a higher cap magazine but I haven't seen any yet.

Several posts have mentioned getting a .223. In a SHTF scenario .223 will be the easiest rifle round to find. I don't have an AR style rifle. If things get that bad, they'll be plenty of ARs littering the battlefield. I'll pick one up then......

I keep a KelTec Sub2ooo (Glock, .40) locked away in the truck just in case. It fits neatly into a backpack - essentially disappears. It's literally never had a single FTFeed, FTFire, or FTE. The extra mags I keep will work in my daily carry gun (G27) or the rifle, and it gives me not only increased power, but more importantly far more accurate firepower if needed. I can easily hit stuff at 50 yards with the S2k that I would struggle to hit with my G27.

I just had one of my buddys call me and ask if I wanted to buy a gun and I said what kind, he said its my S2k, brand new never fired, plus a new factory glock mag, lol :poop:. Now whats the odds of that happening?

1:1

Do it, you'll love it. It's a fun little rifle.

Guest Lester Weevils

The only mag-compatible rifle-pistol combination I have is Beretta Storm 9mm rifle for 92FS mags, a couple of Beretta 92FS pistols, and several mags.

Could put together combinations of semi-auto .22 LR rifle and pistol to share ammo, but none would share mags.

Similarly S&W .357 Mag revolver plus Henry .357 lever gun share ammo, but there are no mags at all in that combo.

To get a mag-compatible 5.56 rifle-pistol pair, I would need to sell my MSAR STG-556 and get an ordinary AR rifle. An AR 5.56 could share mags with the PLR-16 pistol. The MSAR rifle and PLR-16 can share ammo, but can't share mags.

Guest Lester Weevils
how is the storm carbine? I have the .40 pistol, so that would be a thought for me. I dunno the shared mags thing is neat but time I buy a carbine I could get an awful lot of mags for the rifles I do have....

Hi Jonin

The storm carbine seems to work fine as best I can tell. It is not a bullpup but close to the same OAL as the STG-556 bullpup. Near minimum legal length. The storm sets up easy for left-hand shooting without buying extra parts.

I like pistols and do not take a rifle to the range on most trips. The times I've shot the storm it has worked fine.

A few years ago got the idea it would be neat to have both rifle and pistol in the calibers I use, so eventually accumulated the goods. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Maybe the benefit of carbine and pistol in the same caliber would be a low probability fictional survival situation where an out of shape old dude like me is toting a heavy pack living off the land. Carrying only one caliber would allow toting more ammo and mags that would work in both guns. But in reality I would have got culled long before reaching that situation. :rolleyes:

Other than some road warrior scenario, it is likely just a novelty.

I keep a KelTec Sub2ooo (Glock, .40) locked away in the truck just in case. It fits neatly into a backpack - essentially disappears. It's literally never had a single FTFeed, FTFire, or FTE. The extra mags I keep will work in my daily carry gun (G27) or the rifle, and it gives me not only increased power, but more importantly far more accurate firepower if needed. I can easily hit stuff at 50 yards with the S2k that I would struggle to hit with my G27.

+1 I acquired the Sub2000 in .40 from dralarms some months ago and really like it. It is what it is, as they say. Not meant for some things but useful for others. I just purchased an extended magazine (22 rounds) and received it in the mail today. Will see how it works. I also want to purchase a G22 soon since they share magazines.

Guest gunrunner1979

i have the sub2000 for my sig p226 and i have it for the same reason you want a carbine . it folds up in a backpack with my pistol with room for other things, accuracy is not great, but good. i do have to say nothing beats my ar's, the 5.56 is awsome

There is a reason why most law enforcement agencies have made the switch from the MP5 in 9mm/10mm and the UMP in .45 to the AR15/M16 5.56 platform. In a true SHTF senario I think you are going to want a rifle caliber. Don't get me wrong, the Kel-Tec is a good gun. I can hit a gong at 100 yards all day with my buddies gun, but I would still go for something in 556/6.8/.308 first.