kel tec pf-9

93civEJ1

I cant make up my mind. I have been eyeing this little gun as something a little smaller in frame size to add to my collection and it seems like you can get it at a fair price as well. Seen them going for around 249$. I just cant seem to decide based out of reviews...some people are liking it alot, some people not so much. I like the looks of the gun, and the price...I just came seem to decide if I want to jump on one or not. Thoughts from those that may have one or have shot one?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had two and they ran just fine.They are smaller and lighter than anything out there with the exception of the Diamondback. However, the Diamondback is still very new and working out growing pains. That being said, they both have excellent customer support. Even if I had a problamatic one I would be concerned due to both companies backing. Just remeber to keep a locked wrist and polish the feed ramps. Good guns.

I bought one late last year and got good service out of it. It was extremely reliable. I had purchased it to use as a pocket pistol, but soon found out it was just too big to pocket carry all day long. if I'm going to belt carry a 9mm, I'd rather have a few more rounds in it. All in all, it's still a good bargain at the price. KT warranty and customer service is exceptional.

I have one that shoots and cycles well but it is an up close and personal kind of weapon. The Ruger LC9 is comparable in size but has a longer trigger pull. I carry the PF-9 in a pancake slide holster under a t shirt and forget it's there. As far as recoil it's not near as bad as a .38 snubbie.

well hearing good about warranty and customer service makes me feel a little better about maybe picking one up.

As a testimony to their customer service, I recently picked up a P32 that someone had traded in. The original owner had kept it in a drawer for two years and shot it just a little. He traded it because the gun kept jamming and he didn't want to bother with having to ship it back for service.

After shooting a few mags at the range and experiencing failures to extract, I removed the extractor spring and put a little more bend in it. This reduced the failures from every other shot, to one ever four or five magazines. Having diagnosed the problem, I called KT customer service, explained the problem I was experiencing and asked for a new extractor group. It arrived in the mail two days later at no charge. The new spring, extractor and screw took about five minutes to install. The gun now runs flawlessly.

Yes, they are not very expensive guns but then again, there aren't many gun companies who will ship you parts for your gun for free with no questions asked. FWIW, there is also usually a pretty good market for them used as well, if you can find one.

Not a friendly shooter, your hand will hate you after about 20rds.

A lot of people who own the PF9 say the same thing. One thing you can do to help tame it is to put a grip sleeve on it like a Hogue Handall Jr. It helps to reduce the perceived recoil. As someone else mentioned, I don't think the recoil was nearly as noticeable as my .38 special snubnose, but then again, everyone perceives recoil differently. ymmv.

I had its cousin. The trigger is brutal and the internal finish can be rough as well, but if you are willing to take it a part to polish the internal parts or spend some time on a break in, they do well. The kel tec owners site has all sorts of info on how to polish and improve these inexpensive guns to ensure reliable performance. If you are the type that expects it to work 100% out of the box, you may be better off spending another $100 for more polished production firearm. I love the size and weight, but cannot abide DAO guns, that is the only reason I sold mine and not a reflection on the gun. I got it from ignorance -- gunshow vendor swindled me by calling it double action, and me not knowing any better....

I had one and it was a pretty fair carry gun. Its not a range gun but shoots just fine out to 10 yds. I havent looked at the ruger but 249 is hard to beat

Guest Aces&8s

I love mine. It is a great gun, runs flawlessly, eats anything I feed it. I added the rubber grip (I went with a Pachmayr... #5 I think, maybe #4), which helped make recoil more manageable, and added the KT trigger shoe, which makes a huge difference with the trigger pull (well, my perception of trigger pull -- the actual weight of pull is the same, but more finger on the trigger makes it seem much lighter than it is).

good to hear. I just called the cheapest local place I know of for guns. (Bills) and it looks like they want around 299 for one. I may wait til the next local gun show runs around and grab one of the ones for 249. I wish I could have remembered what shop it was. I think it was something called like RJ's or something. I dont remember right off.

Be aware that KT has solidified their guidelines on servicing 2nd hand weapons. New purchases/ original owner, with proof of purchase/receipt, remain with a lifetime warranty.

That said, even with second hand repair costs, they are a bargain.

see warranty details at Kel Tec CNC

I love mine, and the 5 other KTs I own.

Bert

I got a P11 first becasue I thought I needed the extra rounds it carries. I still carry it some, but since I got the PF9 I use that almost all the time. I like it better then the P11 due to being thinner, less weight, and has a better trigger. Not stellar, but usable. It really is a pocket pistol for me.

As for shooting, I have yet to have a failure of any kind. It is not a range gun, but is fine for 20 rounds or so at a time to keep it working. I did add a rubber Limbsaver grip, but have not shot it yet to see how muich difference it makes.

Guest JebusJames

I purchased a pf-9 a couple months ago. I loved everything about it. The feel was great and it was very lightweight. After testing it out, I experienced extraction failures every 3 or 4 rounds. Kel tec support was super nice and sent a new extractor kit. I installed it and still experienced extraction failures. Sent it back to KT and they paid for shipping. They replaced internal parts and barrel and it still jams. I purchased an LC9 because of the trouble with the pf9. No failures from the LC9.

I would not have bought the LC9 if the PF9 worked as it should.

I really like both guns about the same. There are things about each gun that I like and some things about each gun that I don't like.

As far as the comments about the pf9 hurting the hands, the gun never did hurt my hands while shooting but it does have a good kick to it.

I would still recommend the PF9 even though I had bad luck with the one I bought. I still don't know what to do with mine.

I went from a PF9 to an LCP and LC9. The LCP for pocket carry and the LC9 for belt or coat pocket carry. I didn't do this because the PF9 was a bad gun, far from it mine work's very well, in fact I gave it to my wife to carry. My problem with the PF9 was the small trigger guard was causing me problems and was killing my index finger. The LCP and LC9 have larger trigger guard's and that solved my problem.

I purchased a pf-9 a couple months ago. I loved everything about it. The feel was great and it was very lightweight. After testing it out, I experienced extraction failures every 3 or 4 rounds. Kel tec support was super nice and sent a new extractor kit. I installed it and still experienced extraction failures. Sent it back to KT and they paid for shipping. They replaced internal parts and barrel and it still jams. I purchased an LC9 because of the trouble with the pf9. No failures from the LC9.

I would not have bought the LC9 if the PF9 worked as it should.

I really like both guns about the same. There are things about each gun that I like and some things about each gun that I don't like.

As far as the comments about the pf9 hurting the hands, the gun never did hurt my hands while shooting but it does have a good kick to it.

I would still recommend the PF9 even though I had bad luck with the one I bought. I still don't know what to do with

mine.

Any interest in selling it?