Gen 4 Glocks

Guest Big-A

Im a Glock guy myself but man these gen 4s must be having some issues. Other forums are hammering em a lot of people are going to M&P's and XD's. Ive never shot one but some people say thier taking brass to the face, FTF's and FTE ect. Seems its just on the 9mm"s havent heard bad about the 40's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a Gen 4 G19 it worked well. I swapped out the dual recoil system with a single Gen 3 recoil rod and the aftermarket reduction fitting for the nose of the slide. Why? Because I could. The gun worked fine either way, as well as my other 6 9mm Glocks. Like a dummie I traded it for something I had to have, now I am wishing I had the Gen 4 G19 back.

the problems they had with the Gen 4's was due to the recoil spring early on. Glock has since fixed the problems. My Gen 4 26 has been flawless. My Gen 4 23 had some issues when I first got it but I finally narrowed it down to a bad magazine. It's been fine since then.

My Gen 4 23 runs like a top. I haven't run a ton of ammo thru it, but what I have has been flawess. I will eventually own a gen 4 G19 as well, so I've been keeping an eye on it too. The lower power spring fix seems to have done the job. The problem was only with lower powered range ammo to begin with. I have asked about the 19 at a couple of gun stores, and they're not getting them back.

I bought a very early Gen 4 17. I had Bill's Outpost order it for me and it was the first one they had seen at the time. It was oversprung initially. It made wierd creaking noises and the spring didn't seat as well upon re-assembly as normal. It made a little wear mark on the barrel as well. If you search back I actually started a thread on my experience. Anyway, even with the weird noises etc... the gun never actually malfunctioned for me; even with cheap ammo. I called Glock and they assured me the marks on the barrel were no big deal, apologized for my trouble, and sent me the updated spring. Since then, it cycles just as smoothly as my other Glocks and I would not hesitate to buy another Gen 4. As a matter of fact, I sometimes think about trading my Gen 3 19 for a Gen 4 just because I like the Gen 4 grip so much.

I purchased a 2nd Gen G-27 as soon as they hit the marketplace and carried it for year's, in fact I still have it. Now though I have a 4th Gen G-27 and consider it to be a much improved pistol due to the ability to replace the grip back, it points and feels more natural to me now. W/O any doubt I'd purchase a 4th Gen Glock if I were looking for another Glock pistol.

I have an early Glock 19 Gen4 and had problems initially (Would not cycle WWB, 1 malfunction per mag on average). Got the new spring from glock and have had zero malfunctions since. Probably 300-400 rounds on the new spring. I would not hesitate to buy another now. Though I do miss my M&Ps, but I miss every gun I get rid of.

I have an early Glock 19 Gen4 and had problems initially (Would not cycle WWB, 1 malfunction per mag on average). Got the new spring from glock and have had zero malfunctions since. Probably 300-400 rounds on the new spring. I would not hesitate to buy another now. Though I do miss my M&Ps, but I miss every gun I get rid of.

THIS is what I've been waiting to hear. I like the M&P's. Still have an M&P9. You just can't beat the size of the 19/23 Glocks.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I rented a G19 Gen 4 & at a range back when I was looking for a carry weapon. I had like 3 FTEs out of about 50 rds fired.

Needless to say I got a XDm instead.....

Guest Victor9er

I have two Gen 4 Glocks. A G19 that I have about 400+ rounds through (bought it back in May) and a G22 that I recently bought a couple weeks ago and just put my first 100 rounds through. I've had ZERO issues with both guns.

Don't listen to the Gen 4 bashers... yes there were issues with the new recoil spring assemblies when they first came out. But Glock has addressed those problems and the new springs they are making for them now are perfectly fine. (My G22 is less than a month off the assembly line) If you do happen to get a Gen 4 with an older spring just give Glock a call, and they'll send you a new one. I called about my G19 when I first heard of the issues and they sent me a new spring. I still have the original spring in it, like I said 400+ rounds of various ammo (WWB, Remington, Blazer, Independence) with no malfunctions. Now I have an extra spring. ;)

I love my Glocks and I don't have any second thoughts about buying the Gen 4 versions.

Edited by Victor9er
I called about my G19 when I first heard of the issues and they sent me a new spring. I still have the original spring in it, like I said 400+ rounds of various ammo (WWB, Remington, Blazer, Independence) with no malfunctions. Now I have an extra spring. :)

I love my Glocks and I don't have any second thoughts about buying the Gen 4 versions.

Anyone with one of these terrible Gen 4s just send me a PM and I'll take that junk off your hands. ;) I hear these rumors of problems with the Gen 4s but I can't seem to find anyone willing to sell me one cheap and then let me deal with getting an updated spring for it.

*BTW; My legal assistant has become interested in handguns and possibly getting an HCP. He picked my 17 out my small collection since I said it shoots softer than my other pistols. His previous experience was one trip where he shot a few .38s through a large frame .357 and put a few rounds down a 5" steel frame 1911. He put 100 flawless rounds down my Gen 4 17 at Coal Creek last week. I don't count rounds and but that's definitely over 1000 now. The only complaint is that he was surprised that a 9mm would have so much recoil (his words). Obviously, it's probably half the weight of the 1911 he tried out. Anyway, there you have it; a new shooter; not accustomed to recoil; shooting weak wal-mart ammo, no malfunctions whatsoever. Mine must be a fluke.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest gw2and4
Saw on Glock's Facebook today that they're proactively offering to replace anyone's Gen4 recoil spring assembly free of charge. Only models excluded are the 26 and 27.

Just have your serial number handy and give them a call.

Go here for more info:

http://www.teamglock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

Called Glock today. On the phone less than 15 minutes and two new recoil spring assemblies are on their way. Very simple call.

While on hold, I also heard that you can email in your details to rsateam at glock dot us. The details they requested are:

Serial number

Model number

Name

Shipping address

Phone number in case of issues

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest Bill'dYourOwnGun
Saw on Glock's Facebook today that they're proactively offering to replace anyone's Gen4 recoil spring assembly free of charge. Only models excluded are the 26 and 27.

Just have your serial number handy and give them a call.

Go here for more info:

Recoil Spring Exchange Program | GLOCK USA

Sent from my iPhone 4

Thanks for posting. Maybe I missed it, but I found this on the internet which should help those that don't know what generation their Glock is:

How to Tell the Generation of a Glock | eHow.com

If any of that is wrong please feel free to correct. I'm new to Glock's.