Best 'All round' hunting caliber

Handsome Rob

What's your opinion?

If you discount the largest of big game animals (Moose & Grizz) what would you consider to be the best all-round caliber?

I know that everything is a compromise, but I'm trying to figure out a caliber that is enough for Elk, but won't tear up a coyote with lighter bullets.

I don't buy into the whole 'magnum' thing that seems to prevail at present (".223 for Whitetail??? You need a 7mm Ultramag at least!) & I'm aware that whilst not optimal, smaller calibers are more than adequate for larger game, as long as shot selection is paramount. Yes, a .30-06 will do everything, but so can a .600 Nitro. What I'm looking fo is something that comes in a good range of bullet weight that can be loaded down for small game & loaded hot for big game.

At the moment, my thinking is that a .25-06 is about the most versatile caliber around, closely follwed by .243

Back in England, the .243 is the most prevalent caliber for deer hunting. From tiny little Roe deer (Think Florida Whitetail size) right through to Red deer (Elk sized)

What say you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In TN the .243 is perfect. I have heard (but not listened to) arguments that it's too small, but they're idiots. A well placed shot ends it then and there. They can be loaded with light bullets for varmint hunting, heavier for deer. AND, with the exception of the 25/06 you mentioned, I challenge anyone to find a flatter shooting (standard) cartridge. The .243 is blisteringly accurate.

I really want a 243 in an AR10!

Guest nicemac
The .243 is blisteringly accurate.

Agreed. I have a Browning SS Stalker in .243. It makes me look like a very good shot every time I take it out! Dead accurate.

For this neck of the woods either the 270 or 30-06. Both are great calibers. I love the 243 but feel it is to small for elk. You can kill an elk with one but there is no room for error on the shot. If you are wanting to shoot coyotes to elk with the same rifle, my vote is for the 270.

One other option is to get a TC Encore and a couple of different barrels.

Edited by KahrMan

I always thought the dabate was left between .270 and 30-06. I didn't know there where any others. :) Seriously, both those can be loaded for anything from dangerous African game to any Europena or American game, large or small. .270 can load down for the smaller stuff a little better than 30-06 and 30-06 can be loaded a little heavier for the bigger stuff better than .270. Either way both great rounds. I prefer .270

Most anything from a 243 Winchester to a 30-30 Winchester to a 338 Win Mag would fill this bill adequately. If you don't handload, I'd say a 270 or 30-06, because of the wide range of available ammo. If you handload, there are many, many options. It is my opinion that the differences between the different high power rifle chamberings are much much smaller than gun store B.S.ers and gun magazine writers would lead you to believe. For specialized applications, I believe that bullet selection is a lot more important that chambering selection. The 243 and 25-06 are both fine choices.

Guest adamoxtwo

This is something that falls into the it all depends on the area you are hunting. If you are in thick brush you can't beat a 35. 30-30 is a great rifle in tennessee. If you have a little distance anything from a .243, 25-06, .270, 30-30, .308 all work. I think the round is second to the glass you are looking through. If you have a crap scope caliber doesn't matter, but in a perfect scenario I need two guns. One for the field and one for the brush. I'll take a .25-06 for the field and a 35 for the brush.

Guest GunTroll

A lot of 243 and 270 lovers here I see. Nothing wrong with either. Split the difference and go with a 6.5x55 or 6.5-284 or 260 rem. I'm a bit into cartridges that have a bit of nostalgic curb appeal :) so go 6.5x55 swede! . The 6,6.5,6.8 mm bullets that are out there today can be used on a wide range of animals and intended use and varied distances. Seems your question and scenario that you set up, left out bullet construction. I'd say today's bullets are the best we have ever had. Small bullets now makes up what it lacks in diameter with construction. Even 6's are just fine for Elk with the variables taken into consideration of course.

Of course it helps to reload. If you don't....I believe 243 has the best factory loaded bullet variety. Probably the most available too.

I love these topics. And I love the opinions that follow. Should have done a poll :) .

Guest GunTroll

Oh yeah.... 264 win mag. Its coming back around you know!

I'm building myself a 6.5 bolt gun as we speak so I'm a bit hung on the caliber at the moment. Next week maybe 338???

The reason I ask, is that at the moment I have 2 rifles (a old Ruger .243 & an older Enfield .303) that I'm considering trying to trade for just one, but I'm wanting something I can use for just about everything.

I dunno.....

The .243 is geat for 99% of things I'd ever hunt & it's fairly cheap to shoot, the .303 is good for the other 1% and luckily, the cheapest ammo available also shoots the best :D & at $13.00 a box it takes some beating.

I was really thinking about a .25-06 or a .270 Maybe even a newer, not as worn out .243.....

What would you do?

Edited by robtattoo

If I were to start over now and wanted a dedicated deer-on-down rifle it'd be a lightweight 7-08. Actually unless you're talking about game larger than deer there's not much need to sweat calibers much unless you are serious about shooting at extended ranges where flattening the trajectory does help things. Personally I've got a .308 (enormous availability and variety of ammo) and it's just about retired the rest of the arsenal other than sentimental trips with the 30-30.

I was really thinking about a .25-06 or a .270 Maybe even a newer, not as worn out .243.....

What's worn out about your .243? I went through a caliber consolidation several years ago and the .243 is now my primary bolt action hunting rifle. Hard to beat the availability of ammunition, choices of loadings, and overall capability in the caliber. If you have an issue with YOUR rifle, then sell both guns and buy a new .243.

There are other caliber choices out there that are in the same neighborhood... .260rem and 7mm-08 especially, but they don't really offer the "light" loadings that the .243 does and neither one of them (especially the .260) share the extensive popularity of the .243.

The Remington Seven and 700 are excellent options in this caliber...

It's nothing too serious, but there's quite a bit of bolt-slop in the receiver & I'm not sure about how good the rifling is. I'll admit, I haven't tried a whole lot of different ammunition & it could be that I'm crap, but I just don't get the accurracy I'd expect from a good hunting rifle. It's mounted with an older Weaver K6 scope & I'm struggling to hold better than a 3" group at 100yds

Converesly, since I had the barrel piked down to 19¾" on the Enfield, I can manage 1½" groups at 100yds, with a cheap Barksa scope & Prvi Partisan 150gn ammunition.

I don't do any reloading yet, but I'm thinking I ought to send the Ruger to someone who does & let them try a few different loads, see if that makes any difference.

Edited by robtattoo

Before spending any money on a gunsmith, and assuming you are willing to give it a try, I would recommend the following for your .243:

-Disassemble the rifle and check the stock-to-barreled action fit - check for damage or wear.

-Remove and re-mount the scope rings and bases (assuming they're not integral), use loctite on reassembly.

-Substantially clean the barrel to remove any potential fouling.

-Buy about 5 different boxes of different types of factory ammunition to see if it's the load you're shooting.