1911 grip help

i've been carrying my S&W 1911 with Hogue wrap grips for a while now. I've come to the conclusion that the grips are too big for my hand causing some misalignment of the gun with my forearm. The other night I went back to the factory grips and the pistol is much more slender and fits my hand very well.

The reason I switched to hogue is because the factory checkered grips (and backstrap for that matter) are like a cheese grater on the hands. They just feel super sharp to me. Granted, I work at a desk all day so I don't have farmer's hands. What kind of grips give a good purchase without being slippery, and yet not act like a cheese grater on the hands at the range? The S&W Compact ES is a CCO sized pistol, officers size frame. This pistol is my main carry pistol.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some nice rubber grip panels that are the same size as the original grips, just softer..and they install the same as the originalbut that still leaves the backstrap to contend with though...

Yeah, I will have to switch out the backstrap in the future. Can only afford one thing at a time. I kinda like the backstrap for carry/defensive purposes. But, I'm about to take a 500 tround tactical training course and there is simply no way I can get through it with the grips the way they are. I will probably have to put a peice of tape over the backstrap to get through the course.

What rubber grips are you referring to? Looking around and Hogue doesn't make them for the Officer's size frame unless I'm mistaken. Looks like Commander sized frame is offered but not the smaller ones.

Those look pretty good. I've had rubber grips before on my Kimber but not sure where they came from. Really comfy. Here's an inexpensive one I found: 86428 - Rubber Grip Panels Colt .45/1911 Black Something that I found really works for me (and this is really ghetto though) is on a Springfield TRP, which has really sharp grips for some reason, I just wrapped the grips (which also included the front and backstrap) with sporting griptape. The kind that you would use on a hockey stick...Its cheap, grippy, and covered the sharp areas so it was comfortable for extended shooting. Just make sure you don't have it wrap the grip safety. But that was better to me than any aftermarket grip, but I think I'm in the minority haha.

Is it a full sized gun or an officer model sized gun?

For full sized guns there are several cheap grip panels on Ebay:

mo-viking | eBay

If it is an officer model I think I might have some ivory colored micarta grips for it I no longer need and would sell for what I bought them for.

Also, if it is a full size gun I will look in my junk box for a mainspring housing. If I have one it will be a arched housing but it won't be checkered.

Dolomite

Have you looked into smooth wood grips. They look slippery and hard to grip, but are quit the opposite. Most of your grip comes from the front strap and mainspring housing. Here are mine on my EDC

IMG_3191.jpg

Of course you would have to change out your mainspring housing but that reactively easy and inexpensive.

Here is a flat mainspring housing for a fullsize gun.

Colt 1911 Flat Mainspring Housing | eBay

Here is aflat, smooth one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Colt-GI-Type-Blued-Mainspring-Housing-Loop-Vintage-45-Flat-Commercial-/330611145690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf9f5bbda

I agree you get what you pay for but until you decide what you like I recommend buying the cheapest you can find. No sense in spending a few hundred dollars trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Dolomite

Is it a full sized gun or an officer model sized gun?

For full sized guns there are several cheap grip panels on Ebay:

mo-viking | eBay

If it is an officer model I think I might have some ivory colored micarta grips for it I no longer need and would sell for what I bought them for.

Also, if it is a full size gun I will look in my junk box for a mainspring housing. If I have one it will be a arched housing but it won't be checkered.

Dolomite

Thanks for the offer Dolomite. This is a CCO sized gun with commander length slide and officer's sized grip. I might consider the grips you have but I'd need to see a photo to see if I like them.

Why not just put the factory grips back on and get something like a handall. Or even get some slim grips with a handall. A handall would solve the cheese grater problem on the grips and backstrap.

This is something I haven't considered. I haven't seen these "handalls" around much and am not that familiar with them. This may be the perfect solution actually because I could slip the Handall on when in the tactical course and during extended range sessions, but slip it off for normal carry or short range sessions. And, it's a cheap solution which I like very much right now. Especially since I love the look of the stock grips.

Have you looked into smooth wood grips. They look slippery and hard to grip, but are quit the opposite. Most of your grip comes from the front strap and mainspring housing. Here are mine on my EDC

Of course you would have to change out your mainspring housing but that reactively easy and inexpensive.

I know I'll be in the minority here but I just haven't seen many pics of 1911's with these smooth wood grips that I like. The wood is beautiful, the guns are beautiful, but for some reason to me they just look terrible together.

You could buy the cheapest set of checkered grips available and sand them down till you get something with the amount of traction you want. Might not look great but would give you an idea of what would work best for you at little investment.

IIRC, someone used to offer grips with intentionally flat diamonds.

Another option would be dimpled "golf ball" grips. 1911 AUTO GOLFBALL PATTERN G10 GRIPS - Brownells

Thanks for the offer Dolomite. This is a CCO sized gun with commander length slide and officer's sized grip. I might consider the grips you have but I'd need to see a photo to see if I like them.

This is how they look.

Colt Officers Model Auto Pistol Grip - Custom Pistol Grips and Kits - CollinsCraftGrips

Something else to consider using is bicycle inner tube as a grip cover. They are cheap and work well. You can get 10-15 out of the average inner tube. They can be bought at walmart for under $4. I have used this method on dozens of guns and they work really well for the price.

Dolomtie

I know I'll be in the minority here but I just haven't seen many pics of 1911's with these smooth wood grips that I like. The wood is beautiful, the guns are beautiful, but for some reason to me they just look terrible together.

Different strokes and all that. I would look into vz grips in a not so aggressive pattern. Maybe even the 'slim' version. I have VZ's on my TRP and I like them, but they are pretty aggressive.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FiddleDog

I have a 1911 Pro Series Sub Compact as well, and I picked up a pair of Rosewood and and pair of g10 grips from Ultimate Equipment (Ultimate Equipment - Maker of the M1911 Knives) that I'm quite please with...and at $27 a set, they don't break the bank (they sell them for $20, if you check out their booth at gunshows. Checkt hem out...the quality and detail on them are nice and, you can get a matching 1911 folding knife to match from them, as well.