22 short sub sonic fun fun

rocky

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that SSS is recommended for any semi auto/recoil operated firearms...works fine in revolvers too!

They mention this on their website and literature because some people will, upon buying, be genuinely upset that it will not cycle a semi-auto firearm.

They won't, but they are otherwise 100% fine to shoot in any 22lr chambered gun.

I have tried SSS in several semis and never had an issue. My guns have been worked over to specifically shoot subsonics anyways. One of the biggest problems with the SSS rounds is the ags in the face. Because of the short case they will lose their seal with the chamber earlier than a standard round. When that happens a lot of gas and debris come back into the shooter's face. In shooting them the port noise is often louder than the muzzle noise.

I have tried nearly every kind of subsonic 22 lr made in an attempt to find out what is quietest. Although Remingtons tend to be quiet they also have a lot of port noise out of a semi. Same thing with Winchester Dynapoints, a lot of port noise compared to others. One of the few that has very little port noise and is also quieter than most at the muzzle is the Winchester Subsonic HP's. They also work well with match chambered guns. CCI Subsonic HP's are also another quiet round but because they have a higher driving band on the bullet they will not reliably work in a match chambered semi auto. The driving band causes the bullet to stop short of seating completely. Dynapoints are generally subsonic out of 16" and shorter barrels. Out of a 20" barrel they go supersonic about 50% of the time.

Not really sure shy but most subsonic rounds are more expnsive than the hypervelocity counterparts. Probably has to do with production quantites. Because they produce and sell more supersonic stuff they can charge less per round.

Now that I have the suppressor I built I have noticed a lot more which rounds have port noise and which ones don't. ANd as I said before the Winchester Subsonic Hp's have hardly any port noise nd out of the suppressor are quiter than a nail gun or even a pellet gun. Hitting a 4x4 at 25 yards is louder than the shot itself when fired out of a bolt gun.

There is nothing more satisfying than shooting steel and the ring from being hit is louder than the shot itself. The suppressor is the single most fun thing I have for firearms. It is also useful in the fact I can shoot anytime I need or want to without the need for hearing protection.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

I had a brick of Aguila "22 Colibri" 20 gr shorts with no gunpowder. Very quiet but gave most of em to old dad because he has a .22 revolver that shoots them well.

At the time only had a ruger Mark II. The short little rounds would not reliably load from the mag. If they would have loaded from the mag then even if it didn't cycle the action then at least you could work the bolt to load each round. It was real tedious loading a single short at a time into the chamber with my thick fingers.

I also tried em in my Remington 541T HB bolt rifle. It uses a little 5 or 10 round mag. IIRC the bolt rifle didn't like loading the tiny little shorts from the mag either and it was no fun loading one at a time from the open bolt.

Guess a very under-powered subsonic with a long heavy bullet would be the trick? If a gun refuses to reliably chamber shorts from a mag?

If the .22 Colibri no-powder rounds had put the 20 gr bullet in a LR cartridge rather than a short cartridge, I think my guns would have had better luck loading them from a mag. I think the shortness is what made them want to turn sideways rather than feed straight into the chamber.

I find that the CCI CB Longs shoot better overall than their CB Shorts. These 2 being the primary ammo I use in my Marlin 981t and before this rifle my old Marlin 915Y single shot. I'm not sure if its the fact that the chamber/rifling is made for a lr length cartridge and the short not engaging it all the way, but the shorts definitely dont group anywhere near as tight as the longs. I also get 4 or 5 "funky" rounds per hundred of the CB Shorts. You can hear it when you fire one. Just sounds off and typically lands 6" or more low. For that reason I typically shoot the CB Longs. I shoot a few thousand of these a year so when you use that many of a certain round you really can tell. I only buy the CB Shorts when they're out of the CB Longs(walmart). They are both labeled 710fps but like I said above, the CB Shorts arent as consistent. My advise, buy the CB Longs :rock: