Pulled over in Illinois, what would you do?

Guest msparks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell him you are originally from Georgia, where you were arrested of a crime, convicted, then served your time and received a full pardon, but now the State of Tennessee won't allow you to own any guns.:up:

Seriously, I'd have to go with the truth. Hopefully the guns are being transported in accordance with whatever the IL law requires and its all good. But on the other hand, if I've broken some law in Illinois and get caught doing it, lying about it only makes it worse for me in the long run.

Guest WyattEarp

first off, if i'm going through Illinois, my gun is locked up in the trunk, my magazine and ammo are locked in the glovebox. But yes, I would tell him there is a weapon in the car, it is locked up in the trunk and the ammo is separated, and then I would explain that I am a HCP holder in Tennessee, but that I'm aware of the laws in Illinois and that my HCP is not recognized in the state of Illinois.

Illinois is not the place to screw around. not that any place is the place to screw around, but you do things by the book in Illinois, it's a whole different ball game there. Now that I will be carrying once my weapon arrives next week, I will not be driving through Illinois at all if I can help it. That state scares me with their attitude on guns.

i'm just curious, but since when has pulling someone over for a routine traffic violation become synonymous with inquiring about guns in the car? In all my time growing up as a kid, I never once heard a cop ask my dad if he had any drugs or guns in the car. Now it seems like it's almost common place to hear about a police officer asking about guns or drugs being in the car. Seems like being on alert and being aware, and has turned into paranoia. In all of my traffic stops, i've been asked twice. Both times in Tennessee, never been asked in Missouri.

I go to Illinois loaded down with guns all the time. I would answer him truthfully. (Because he is going to see all the gun cases anyway). However, my guns are unloaded and properly cased for travel in Illinois.

However… I have also been known to run with scissors.

i'm just curious, but since when has pulling someone over for a routine traffic violation become synonymous with inquiring about guns in the car?

Small talk just to see how you react; people who are high or drunk have a hard time dealing with those kinds of conversations with cops.

I want you to have a video camera running when you tell a Tennessee cops it’s none of his business. :up:

If you are asked if there is a firearm inthe car, tell the truth.

DO NOT LIE TO POLICE.

If you are in Illinois, your gun must be in a locked case, and your ammo must be seperate. Your firearm in the locked case should not be accessible to you. I once got dinged because I had a pistol in a locked case in the front seat. No conviction, but it took some talking by me and my lawyer to get out of it.

Illinois is not the place to mess around.

I travel to IL every once in a while. Just wondering what others do.

From my understanding is all you have to do is have it in a case and be unloaded. But there is no one that agrees on the answer. Some folks say in the trunk, others say in a case, (like what if you are in a truck) I think they make the law as confusing as possible so they (IL) have the best chance on convicting you? I don't know. On my trips I go up a road called State Line Road, it's on the IN/IL border. I wonder what the law is, when do I have to put it up?

Anyhow, I pull the clip, jack the round and put it in the "case".

Guest justluck
I travel to IL every once in a while. Just wondering what others do.

From my understanding is all you have to do is have it in a case and be unloaded. But there is no one that agrees on the answer. Some folks say in the trunk, others say in a case, (like what if you are in a truck) I think they make the law as confusing as possible so they (IL) have the best chance on convicting you? I don't know. On my trips I go up a road called State Line Road, it's on the IN/IL border. I wonder what the law is, when do I have to put it up?

Anyhow, I pull the clip, jack the round and put it in the "case".

Do a Google on "transporting a handgun interstate". Some good and official guidance will come up".

Personally, if I had to travel through one of the "bad" states, I'd carry the handgun locked in a gun case and in the trunk and the ammo locked up in a separate container and in the trunk. And, I'd carry proof of ownership papers for the gun.

My parents are in IL, so I go there fairly often. Keep the gun unloaded and in a case. The manufacturer's case counts. I have not been stopped (yet), but I keep the case in the rear storage area. The ammo is in the console. IL can be a pain, but follow their rules and you should be fine.

I have never been to IL and have no reason or ambition to go. But if for some strange reason I'm there and get stopped he is going to hear I'm a off duty police officer my id card and badge are here. If I was only able to carry via HCP there's no way I would attempt to carry in Illinois or even try to lie about an unloaded weapon in the car. That's just my personal preference. I hate lying and hate to be lied to. I'm not even familiar with the laws up there but I think I'll stay down here.

I will be coming back to Tennessee in about 3 weeks and since I live in Nebraska now I almost have to go through Illinois. I have never had any problems over all the years I have been doing this but it only takes one time to mess you up.I may just leave my gun at home since a lot of the places my wife wants to go in Tennessee are off limits to guns anyway. Here in Nebraska we can carry almost everywhere without any problems. I have a couple of other options yet.

I lived in IL for over 20 years and still have a lot of family and friends there. Just keep your unloaded gun(s) cased in the trunk (or in an area of the vehicle as far to the rear of the vehicle as you can get) and the ammo as far from the gun as possible, preferably in the glove box. Be honest with the officer when he asks you questions (don't volunteer info though) and you won't have any problems (well, at least not with having a gun in the car that is! :D)

Answer the same way, and transport your guns the same way you did in Tennessee prior to getting your HCP and that 95% of the state citizens still has to do. Guns laws in Illinois and Tennessee are pretty close to the same. The main difference being Illinois doesn’t sell the privilege yet to those of us that can afford it and are willing to jump through the hoops. But they are working on it.

I will be coming back to Tennessee in about 3 weeks and since I live in Nebraska now I almost have to go through Illinois. I have never had any problems over all the years I have been doing this but it only takes one time to mess you up.I may just leave my gun at home since a lot of the places my wife wants to go in Tennessee are off limits to guns anyway. Here in Nebraska we can carry almost everywhere without any problems. I have a couple of other options yet.

Even before I had a HCP i never went on a trip anywhere without something. Even if it was just to have in the hotel with me. The way I figured if my car broke down on the wrong side of town, "I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

When I go to chitown, I try to follow the law, as confusing as it is. My fiance works there during the week. I refuse to stay in the apartment without something. Just because she does, well that's her choice as unfortunate as it is.

You ask why is it confusing. After reading this: Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

There is a bunch of stuff in the code regarding Wildlife, Hunting and proper transport etc, since the only thing I transport is a handgun, I disregard those, Hence the reason it's confusing. Also the law says something about a FOID card, which is only for IL residents, there is nothing in the law (except for hunters) that talks about transport.

The way I'm taking is that, since I can't get a FOID card, I'm going to transport it, "unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container" as the law says.

My container is the console of the truck/car. Unloaded is unloaded the law doesn't say anything about ammo being separate from then gun. For me that would be either a speed loader or magazine.

So on to the "what would you say thing". Well in no way am I up for challenging the law if I can possibly help it. I will not consent to an vehicle search and I will not be answer questions that do not pertain to the reason for being stopped.

As they say "YMMV"

* Legal Disclaimer, I always followed the Law in each state I traveled though.

Even before I had a HCP i never went on a trip anywhere without something. Even if it was just to have in the hotel with me. The way I figured if my car broke down on the wrong side of town, "I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

When I go to chitown, I try to follow the law, as confusing as it is. My fiance works there during the week. I refuse to stay in the apartment without something. Just because she does, well that's her choice as unfortunate as it is.

You ask why is it confusing. After reading this: Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

There is a bunch of stuff in the code regarding Wildlife, Hunting and proper transport etc, since the only thing I transport is a handgun, I disregard those, Hence the reason it's confusing. Also the law says something about a FOID card, which is only for IL residents, there is nothing in the law (except for hunters) that talks about transport.

The way I'm taking is that, since I can't get a FOID card, I'm going to transport it, "unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container" as the law says.

My container is the console of the truck/car. Unloaded is unloaded the law doesn't say anything about ammo being separate from then gun. For me that would be either a speed loader or magazine.

So on to the "what would you say thing". Well in no way am I up for challenging the law if I can possibly help it. I will not consent to an vehicle search and I will not be answer questions that do not pertain to the reason for being stopped.

As they say "YMMV"

* Legal Disclaimer, I always followed the Law in each state I traveled though.

Remember that it is the interpretation of the officer that matters. Having the ammo and the gun in the center console, which is accessible to you, would most likely get you an unlawful use of weapons charge.

Store the ammo in a different lace from the gun, and put the gun in its own case in the trunk.

Having lived here the majority of my life, and worked with a lot of police officers, I can tell you that your current meathod could land you in a world of hurt...

Got pulled over for speeding in Illinois, cop asked if there are any guns in the car. What would you say?

You don't have to answer the question. Not answering is better than lying. IANAL.

The times I've driven through Illinois my firearms were unloaded, cased, inaccessible from the passenger compartment.

Like others, I don't travel to or through Illinois if I can help it. I've spent one night in Illinois in my life, and that was one too many.

Edited by enfield

Why is everyone hating on Illinois? Just because of thier gun laws?

Wow. What tard-ness.

There are a lot of cool things about Illinois, and I'll say this:

After living here, and in Nahsville for three years, I'm happy to be back here. It sucks for gun laws, but the people are a little nicer, and things are cleaner. Nashville is knid of a pit. It's cool to come visit, but living there sucks.

Oh, and as far as refusing to answer a question from a police offficer goes, try it out some time. See how that works for you. Refuse to answer a direct question and see how the rest of the conversation goes.

Be polite, answer the questions truthfully, be respectful, and things go well. Be a jerk and start refusing to asnwer questions, and things will go downhill.

Remember, the initial question is asked by the officer for his peace of mind, and if you think that the officer's peace of mind isn't important, you'll probably have a bad rest of the encounter.