Almost embarrassing

I had an almost embarrassing situation today.

I was carrying my xd-40 all day IWB with shirt pulled over it but not tucked in. I went to Knoxville to a tool store, to a mall (Not properly posted), and loaded and unloaded a rick of wood. Got home and noticed that my magazine is just floating in my gun and not fully seated. I was able to just grab it and pull it out. The mag release is outside the holster, so I don't believe the holster caused it.

Could have been potentially embarrassing at some of the places I was at today.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the same thing happen with my Glock 26. It's happened twice but I was able to modify the holster so that it doesn't happen again. I don't consider it as embarrassing as it is frightening. What if you had to defend yourself? Not very easy with only 1 round.

I thought of the same thing. If I had to draw, the mag would've just fell to the ground and only one round to use.

BTW, I do keep one chambered.

Only thing I can think of is I had it in my range bag holstered, and maybe the mag release hit something in the bag.

Corrective action will be to double check mag is fully seated before wearing. I always check my loaded indicator, so one more check won't be a problem.

Edited by fivestring63
I got into the habit of pushing on my mag a long time ago to make sure it was seated properly. I still do it pretty frequently. I've seen too many people lose their mag while shooting on the range.

+1

I always check mag, and do a press check prior to holstering very time. Now if your mag release was pressed while carrying this would not solve your problem.

As Mike.357 said find the problem and resolve it, otherwise you might as well leave it at home. Especially since you don't carry chambered, you wouldn't even have one shot

I had an almost embarrassing situation today.

I was carrying my xd-40 all day IWB with shirt pulled over it but not tucked in. I went to Knoxville to a tool store, to a mall (Not properly posted), and loaded and unloaded a rick of wood. Got home and noticed that my magazine is just floating in my gun and not fully seated. I was able to just grab it and pull it out. The mag release is outside the holster, so I don't believe the holster caused it.

Could have been potentially embarrassing at some of the places I was at today.

My G-21 has an ambidextrious mag release and had the same problem except the mag would eject compleatly from the gun and hit the floor. That was caused by something pressing against the holster like certain chairs, I cut notches in the holster around the mag release button and it cured that. I was wondering how far the mag release button extends from your XD. I know the mag release button on a Glock sticks out from the grip and isn't protected that well from unintended releases.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Try checking to make sure the mag is still seated every time you get up from sitting. Do it as stealthily as you can, obviously, but it will help you figure out if you are doing something in your daily life sitting down and getting up that is engaging the mag release.

In Iraq, I had a Galco Jackass Rig for my M9 under my body armor. It worked great and was able to easily get to my pistol under my arm. The magazine holder was set up to snap release the mags from the bottom, and every once and a while one of the snap release would catch on something and an M9 mag would go skittering across the humvee floor. Not good. I ended up putting a strip of gaffer's tape across the snap release tabs so they wouldn't catch on stuff. One solution among many. Since then, I think Galco's got the magazine holders opening to the side.

Is there a XD community out there? Do they have aftermarket low rise mag releases buttons or anything? Or, an XD specific holster?? I don't think you want to put a strip of gaffers tape across the bottom of your mag and grip. . . .

I've had this happen to me several times with different guns. It's happened with my FNP-45, my Sig 1911s, and my Keltec PF-9. I always make sure the mag is fully seated when I holster the gun. Methinks it is not a gun problem, lol, but a ME problem. I carry at 4o'clock and am thinking that may be it. I'm gonna try 3 o'clock and see if it still happens. Another problem I've had on occasion with the 1911s once and the FNP-45 several times is the dafety moving to fire during the course of the day...again, my thinking is that its carry position related...

Edited by barewoolf

UPDATE

I'm about positive this is it.

I just noticed a small shiny spot on the right side mag release. I carry about 3 o'clock or 330 sometimes, so I believe the cause would be my seatbelt in the truck rubbing on that side mag release.

BTW, Lumberjack, if you reread my post I said I "DO" keep one chambered.

Wow, I don't know where that came from, as XD's are very reliable and have had zero problems with mine.

With the exception of Taurus, they're the most common pistol I've had to send back to the factory for not operating. Also, it's the only pistol Ive ever seen that could be put together so wrong that it had to go back to the factory to get unf**ked. This is with a sample size of several hundred, not isolated incidents.

Mike

Guest gw2and4
UPDATE

I'm about positive this is it.

I just noticed a small shiny spot on the right side mag release. I carry about 3 o'clock or 330 sometimes, so I believe the cause would be my seatbelt in the truck rubbing on that side mag release.

BTW, Lumberjack, if you reread my post I said I "DO" keep one chambered.

Reading the thread, my first thought was the ambi mag release on the XD frames. If you're a right handed shooter carrying strong side, the right side ambi mag release would become a liability since only the left side would be protected by the holster. Hope you get this problem solved soon.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Never had this happen to a holstered weapon, but it happens with my Kel-Tec P-32 a lot when I use a DeSantis pocket holster. I guess I must be leaning against stuff or something, especially if I have it in a back pocket.

I got worried, since it happens more often than not. So, I switched to a BlackHawk pocket holster and it never happens anymore.