Kel-Tec PF9

Diragono

I am looking for a slim 9MM for my next toy........PF9 has really gotten some

bad reviews and had a horrid reputation for not working ,jamming and just plain

wearing out.......then you get that one guy who says his has 2500 rounds though it and it

works great.......go figure....

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wearing out.......then you get that one guy who says his has 2500 rounds though it and it

I have my eye on the Beretta Nano

I bought a PF9 for my wife at the gun show and then one for myself a week later from a local dealer (was a sweet deal). We finally got them to the range about a week after that. It was not good.

Both PF9s had feed failures and each had sever jams (one I couldn't clear at the range). I was sick at my stomach and could only be more embarrassed if I had shot myself in the foot. I bought them for EDC and was really afraid I screwed up big time.

After a lot of research I believe everything was due to 2 different issues.

Issue #1 - Easy yet annoying, but it seems the PF9 works best if you give the feed ramp a mirror polish.

Issue # 2 - My wife and I didn't know what we were doing. We have only shot my Glock 17, Revolvers and my 25 Beretta. We have never held a creature like the PF9 before. Its a jumpy sucker and only a tad more fun to shoot than lighting fireworks in your hand. Ends up that we were both limp wristing both PF9s.

After the polishing and a grip adjustment, both guns fired flawlessly. I have put over 500 rounds in each now and I haven't had another failure. My wife will start having a few feeding issues after abut 30 rounds because she gets tired of shooting it.

Its my carry gun 4-5 days a week and I trust it. I can't wait to get ahold of the new +1 mag extension a that adds more grip.

Guest bluecanary25

Was target scaring yesterday. Sights are off on my new PF9, but it did fire ok. Still breaking it in, only about 50 rounds. As stated earlier, it is snappy. Couple of ejections not complete (stove pipe?). Otherwise no feed or firing problems.

I just picked up a PF9 last week to replace my LCP. It was a major, major improvement. I was getting really frustrated with the LCP mostly because I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, I'm sure it was mostly due to my inexperience, but with the PF9 and it's higher profile sights I was getting decent groups upon first firing. It is a fire-breathing dragon though, being as lightweight as it is it'll really bark when you pull the trigger. So far, I'd highly recommend it. I like it equally as much as my XD9.

The PF9 as much as I tried to like it just didn't work out for me (I had two of them). Yes they are inexpensive and slim but I couldn't get either to work dependably for me. I sent one of them back to Keltec to have it reworked and they were great on their customer service. Niether of mine could get thru a box of ammo without several FTF's and were not very accurate. I know several of you will disagree and say yours runs excellent but I did all the mods on my early serial# and then purchased a later model thinking the QC had improved. Sorry to say it did not improve on either of my units. I moved on to other brands (see below)

• 4 weeks later...

picked up a PF9 this week from a TGO member and shot a box of ammo though it today

I liked it very much,brass seems to go where ever it wants but other than that it seemed to run really well for me

and I had no failures ....I think its accuracy is OK ,I landed some decent groups at a modest 15 feet and was pleased..Ordered a IWB

holster for it and it will be one my CCW guns - its def not for everyone,its very snappy ESP with the RangersTs I used...for 250 bucks its a deal

over 300 its a ripoff

Guest SW9VEman

Where are these bad reviews at? Any that I have read have been pretty good. Sure the fit and finish is not the best and nowhere near Kahr, but you are talking about a sub $300 gun. I have about 500 rounds through mine and have yet to have a a problem other then the first round I ever fired had a FTE(from not holding the gun firm enough). Heck mine ejects brass out past about 10 yards.

I shot a couple mags worth through one today, from 10 yards, seemed perfectly adequate to me. I like the slim and light part of it for carry.

Oh, owner just could not get get the 7th round in there, neither could I, was like the follower was too thick or something? Anyone else had that prob?

- OS

I shot a couple mags worth through one today, from 10 yards, seemed perfectly adequate to me. I like the slim and light part of it for carry.

Oh, owner just could not get get the 7th round in there, neither could I, was like the follower was too thick or something? Anyone else had that prob?

- OS

flip the mag spring over.

Where are these bad reviews at? Any that I have read have been pretty good. Sure the fit and finish is not the best and nowhere near Kahr, but you are talking about a sub $300 gun. I have about 500 rounds through mine and have yet to have a a problem other then the first round I ever fired had a FTE(from not holding the gun firm enough). Heck mine ejects brass out past about 10 yards.

see post above.......all is NIL

It is the base plate retaining plate that needs to be flipped. Ween I swapped out the base plates I paid no attention to how the retaining plate came out or went back in. I flipped the base plate retaining plate and it now holds 7 rounds with room to spare.

I am going to make a stainless guide rod as the plastic one is starting to show signs of wear. It will be a 20 minute job on my lathe. It should help with the snappy nauture of the gun but so far that doesn't seem to be an issue for my wife.

For those of you who think it recoils a bit much. My wife shoots 1911's and has shot other heavy hitters as well. She learned early on the problems of limp wristing and corrected it. We had another shooter that did induce a malfunction with a limp wrist but for my wife, Ohsoot and myself we never had an issue shooting cheap WM white box 115 grain bulk ammo.

For her the PF-9 seems to a perfect balance between concealability and power.

Dolomite

Yup.. 100% agree ;) And I love going to the range with you guys.. was just a bit to cold today..brrrrr

It is the base plate retaining plate that needs to be flipped....

Oops, misunderstood, oh well I was in the ballpark. :D

... And I love going to the range with you guys.. was just a bit to cold today..brrrrr

It's just that it got cold so quick, hell I was still in shorts 3 days ago. We only stayed another 45min or so after y'all left. Enjoyed it though, and you enjoy yer new heater.

- OS

It is the base plate retaining plate that needs to be flipped. Ween I swapped out the base plates I paid no attention to how the retaining plate came out or went back in. I flipped the base plate retaining plate and it now holds 7 rounds with room to spare.

I am going to make a stainless guide rod as the plastic one is starting to show signs of wear. It will be a 20 minute job on my lathe. It should help with the snappy nauture of the gun but so far that doesn't seem to be an issue for my wife.

For those of you who think it recoils a bit much. My wife shoots 1911's and has shot other heavy hitters as well. She learned early on the problems of limp wristing and corrected it. We had another shooter that did induce a malfunction with a limp wrist but for my wife, Ohsoot and myself we never had an issue shooting cheap WM white box 115 grain bulk ammo.

For her the PF-9 seems to a perfect balance between concealability and power.

Dolomite

When you make up that guide rod,let me know how much you want to make me one :)

I think the recoil spring could be tighter and offer less recoil maybe,but im not an engineer

If anyone can show off their IWB holsters it would be nice,I am shopping for one

I am going to make a stainless guide rod Dolomite

Thoughts on Kel-Tec PF-9 guide rods - Be sure and do your research on the Kel-Tec forums before going to steel guide rod. It is problematic in the PF-9s. There is a camming action that the polymer rod absorbs, so some folks report wear and damage from the steel rods.

If you are original owner, you can certainly get a replacement polymer rod from them, and most of the time, they will send one out even if you are not first owner.

Bert

Guest SW9VEman
When you make up that guide rod,let me know how much you want to make me one ;)

I think the recoil spring could be tighter and offer less recoil maybe,but im not an engineer

If anyone can show off their IWB holsters it would be nice,I am shopping for one

I'll try to remember tonight and post a picture of mine. I believe it is a High Noon Bare Asset, but can not remember lol.

Thoughts on Kel-Tec PF-9 guide rods - Be sure and do your research on the Kel-Tec forums before going to steel guide rod. It is problematic in the PF-9s. There is a camming action that the polymer rod absorbs, so some folks report wear and damage from the steel rods.

If you are original owner, you can certainly get a replacement polymer rod from them, and most of the time, they will send one out even if you are not first owner.

Bert

I am actually just going to call them and get extras. We shoot all of our guns a lot so we will need ot keep some on hand.

Dolomite