Background Check

I know the difference. That's what we are taking about. When I read TN code 39-17-1351 there is no (h)(3). The last entry the hcp code is what I referenced above. What am I missing? I talk to these folks and this is also what they have told me directly.

Go here LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

There are sub-parts of 39-17-1351 all the way to the letter (w) with divisions and sub-divisions within those.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go here LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

There are sub-parts of 39-17-1351 all the way to the letter (w) with divisions and sub-divisions within those.

Yeah, I see that. The one I was looking at must have been an older one becasue it was different. I'm with you now. Either way the problem arises from inefficient cross refrencing material. I had it backwards.

BTW - I didn't doubt you, just couldn't figure out what I was missing.

Yeah, I see that. The one I was looking at must have been an older one becasue it was different. I'm with you now. Either way the problem arises from inefficient cross refrencing material. I had it backwards.

BTW - I didn't doubt you, just couldn't figure out what I was missing.

:woohoo:

I assume you mean your company won't allow it or is this a law I've just never heard of? Just curious...

No federal law forbids commercial truckers from carrying guns. Only the various state laws apply, and to my knowledge, none have special ones for commercial drivers.

Most all interstate trucking companies have a no gun policy, however. Both for company drivers and contracted owner operators.

- OS

Arrested for shrooms?

"Officer, these are for culinary purposes only... saw it on Racheal Ray."

Haha...the cop actually said to his partner "These grow in my back yard how bad can they be?". I was too nervous and scared to say anything smart because I was still under the influence at the time. It was quite a nasty experience. Anyways I'm on day 14 and I just checked the mail...no permit. I really want to call to see if it's been issued yet but I don't want them to get annoyed and drop my name to the bottom of the list for bothering them lol. It's just hard to wait and it'd be real nice to know if I'm wasting my time chasing the mailman down everyday if it hasn't even been issued yet...maybe I'll call tomorrow...

No federal law forbids commercial truckers from carrying guns. Only the various state laws apply, and to my knowledge, none have special ones for commercial drivers.

Most all interstate trucking companies have a no gun policy, however. Both for company drivers and contracted owner operators.

- OS

10X :up:

Last I checked, Illinois was the only state to specifically prohibit the carrying of guns in a commercial motor vehicle. That said, I pity the individual who carries legally and whose company unexpectedly sends him into Canada. ;)

I've known many drivers over the years who carried despite company policy to the contrary and it almost always comes back to bite them. The only "gun" I've ever carried in a CMV was a .22 caliber match grade pellet pistol and even that would be considered against the rules by most Motor Carriers today. At the same time, as I mentioned earlier, I've been in a lot of rough areas in the past 2 1/2 million miles or so and never felt overly threatened. This probably is not due to being a bad-ass myself so much as just being too dumb to be scared. The times when I have been threatened I was able to take care of without the use of anything more than a winch bar (twice) an unexpected kick to the groin (once - funny how kicking someone in the crotch with pointy-toed cowboy boots makes 'em forget all about the radio they wanted to steal) and a couple of well thrown rocks (once - in an alley in Denver. Because I wasn't close enough to kick the son of a bitch.)

All that aside, the rule of thumb for most Motor Carriers is, "If it ain't against the law, but your company forbids it, it's still against the law."

...TS...

That's incorrect. The state only checks with the TBI and the local sherriffs office for HCP permits.

No, you're wrong on that. The HCP fingerprint check searches the federal database, and it is a much more reliable method than the simple name/DOB/SSN check performed through TICS.

ETA: OK, glad to see you are now working with the correct information.

Edited by Reservoir Dog

Just called the 866 number today and a very nice lady answered the phone and told me that my permit had been issued on the 28th! That's purdy darn fast, ten days to get issued. I checked the mail today and no permit but I'm hoping it'll be in by the end of the week. I wonder why they don't have the office in state rather than giving those jobs to other people?

Just called the 866 number today and a very nice lady answered the phone and told me that my permit had been issued on the 28th! That's purdy darn fast, ten days to get issued. I checked the mail today and no permit but I'm hoping it'll be in by the end of the week. I wonder why they don't have the office in state rather than giving those jobs to other people?

Toll-Free Numbers And How They Work | FCC.gov :popcorn: