Now that I bought a lower...

Murgatroy

I just bough a couple of lowers, and now I am hit with the dilemma of how to build them.

Having two of them gives me a choice of building two different rifles, or two rifles of the same.

I am just looking for a general set of ideas, experience from other member's builds, some resources and the like.

I am not concerned about the building process. While I have never done this, and have no experience in gunsmithing, I am an accomplished mechanic, I am very good with my hands, and I have been a scale model enthusiast for nearly thirty years.

What specific tools would I need for an AR build?

I most likely will be purchasing the upper complete, I am finding some very reasonable prices in pretty much any configuration I could desire.

I have always like the look of the A2 upper, and been infatuated with the XM177 style rifle.

Having two uppers does mean I can build however I like, but I was also thinking of building one as a dedicated .22LR.

Maybe I should have bought three... Or I could just build three uppers...

Chime in with opinions please.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, with all of that said, I have only ever fired an AR platform rifle once, Dolomite Supafly allowed me to shoot a few of his.

Is there anything I need to know about the system to make it easier on my decisions to build? Barrel twist, barrel length, etc, or a place to start learning it all?

My current midsize rifle is an AK.

I punch holes in paper. I want reliable, trustworthy. I am not looking to supplant my Glock for carry or my Shotgun for home defense.

Good thread. I'll be building my next AR as well.

I love the round foregrips as opposed to the stock plastics or a rail system. What's the going consensus as far as which one is the best bang for the buck?

Round as in the mil-spec ones, or free float?

I think it would come down to how much stuff you wanted to hang off the front end of it.

The mil-spec handguards are cheaper from what I am seeing. But putting accessories on the front is more difficult than a rail system. Then again, if you don't want to hang anything off of it, the railed handguard might be rough on your hand.

Round as in the mil-spec ones, or free float?

I think it would come down to how much stuff you wanted to hang off the front end of it.

The mil-spec handguards are cheaper from what I am seeing. But putting accessories on the front is more difficult than a rail system. Then again, if you don't want to hang anything off of it, the railed handguard might be rough on your hand.

Similar to what's in this photo.. I'll have no fixed front sight on my next one, but I would like enough rail room for a flipup front sight on it as well.

image.aspx?id=109&type=large

Murgatroy:____________

Mike hit the nail on the head as far as the tools are concerned. I think i splurged and bought an extra tool from brownells that made it easier to install the detent pin and spring for the front take down pin. I think it's a good idea to build the lowers so ya can see exactly how the ar works trigger and hammer wise.

RE: the handguard thing. I like the round rifle type free float handguards. i like the feel and you can put a small piece of rail wherever ya want a gizmo to go. It makes (...to me, at least...) the rifle look cleaner and they handle better because there is nothin to snag on. I think the free float thing is a great idea that is low cost and will make any rifle shoot better. Havin said all that; wear ya self out lookin thru all the gizmos and toys available for the ar; there's a million of 'em. Like one of the guys who helps us with 'em says. "....It's lego toys for big boys who like guns....". He's exactly right.

have fun.

leroy

im building one as well...im doing all MagPul furniture...just can't figure out what color...this is my first build... i have all black in my shopping cart right now at midwayusa... i do like the dark earth color too... GHAAAAA such a hard decision

im building one as well...im doing all MagPul furniture...just can't figure out what color...this is my first build... i have all black in my shopping cart right now at midwayusa... i do like the dark earth color too... GHAAAAA such a hard decision

All my rifles are black, but I like FDE and OD. You're not risking much by picking a color and going with it.

All my rifles are black, but I like FDE and OD. You're not risking much by picking a color and going with it.

yea I was thinking I'm not going to the sand box anytime soon...and if I was that rifle isn't going with me, that black and FDE is nice though :)I have made a decision...just going to the gun shop and what ever color they have everything I want in thats what im getting lol, wanting to have the lower put togerher this coming week ;)

Edited by carter
yea I was thinking I'm not going to the sand box anytime soon...and if I was that rifle isn't going with me, that black and FDE is nice though ;) i have both in my cart now haha what about the grey?

If I was going to color one at this point, it would probably be OD. It's not quite as 'loud" as FDE. Everybody has different color preferences. Seems to me, it would be pretty easy to swap the parts to somebody for basic black if they're not banged up... especially the MOE stuff.

BTW... are you gonna try their new overmolded grip?

Having two lowers gives you the great opportunity to build rifles for specific purposes. Say a light 16" carbine with iron sights and/or a no magnification red dot. These set ups are sooo fun shooting close quarters. And then a 20" or 24" HBAR with a high magnification scope and a bipod to shoot long range. Alot of folks forget just how flat 5.56 shoots. Of course, things always get complicated. Nobody has even mentioned a piston upper with a suppressor yet...lol.

I think I will stay in black. Evil Black.

I kinda dig the MOE stock, but I am fond of the Hogue grip.

It is cheaper to buy a complete kit, but then I will have left over parts when I buy other parts to go with it.

Overall, I think this is going to be a really fun experience.

I think I will stay in black. Evil Black.

I kinda dig the MOE stock, but I am fond of the Hogue grip.

It is cheaper to buy a complete kit, but then I will have left over parts when I buy other parts to go with it.

Overall, I think this is going to be a really fun experience.

I'm a huge fan of the Hogue grip. I have MOE grips on my noise makers, and Hogues on the others.

I have 4, one 11 inch pistol, 3 basic m4's. One is a stag that is my go to gun. The other 2 have the foliage green magpul furniture and I really dig the color. I've got 2 other complete lowers and 2 more stripped. Next 2 are a 300 blackout and a bull barrel coyote slayer. The last 2 are going to stay stripped for a while until I figure out what else I want.

To the OP, I'm looking forward to watching your progress, so keep us updated!

Once my PSA lowers (black friday sale) get here, I'll have to start planning my first AR build. Planning on just a standard 16" 5.56, nothing fancy. ...but haven't devled too far into the hundreds of options for each component part yet.... this looks like it could get to be a lot of work! haha :-)

Guest HCRoadie

I would also recommend getting an upgraded trigger. I use Timenys in my AR's, but there are many other really good choices, I have two long and one short AR. All in 5.56

24inchAR4.jpg?t=1269209146

Bullsar1.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg?t=1262057484

Edited by HCRoadie
Guest HCRoadie
Is there any benefit with going with a single chambering versus one that can handle .223 and 5.56? I'm also looking to start a build in the near future possibly looking for long range target shooting.
A 5.56 chamber will handle .223 but not the other way around. Keep your options open and go with 5.56.

What Garufa said...