Looking for the AK47 Guru's on the board

DannyP

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Budget will determine this for you. It is hard to beat a saiga, or converted saiga. They have Russian hammer forged and chrome lined barrels, and built on Russian receivers. Most ak47 out there now are parts guns, usually assembled on US made barrels. A stock saiga is only $300, conversion parts will run you about 150 plus your elbow grease.

Already converted guns from arsenal are a great deal! Look at the sgl21

K-Var Corp. â„¢

There are also cheaper converted guns:

California Legal Russian AK47 Rifle WA B47

I did a conversion on my Saiga 12. The same process for any other Saiga. I am completely new to AK's and the conversion took me about an hour or so. It is extremely easy and requires no special tools. A drill and a 3/16 drill bit and a few screwdrivers.

The Saiga rifles are already punched out for the standard AK parts. They are just converted for importation and converting them back is easy. My next AK will be another Saiga that I will convert myself.

Dolomite

I just converted a saiga. It was right at 400.00 for the rifle with Tax and TCIS. Carolina Shooters supply has the best prices for conversion kits. Mine was about 140.00 shipped. Took about two hours with the right tools (Basic).

edumucate me on what gets converted on a Saiga

Hey guys, i'm in the market for an AK47, i'm pretty much looking for the most relieble accurate one i can find. I've narrowed down 3 options here, just wanted to know what you all think.

screenhunter06nov262336.th.jpg

screenhunter04nov262335.th.jpg

screenhunter05nov262336.th.jpg

thanks

Danny

The last two are the same rifle, a WASR with different furniture.

If you want accurate, you want a Saiga or an Arsenal, which is a Saiga that has been converted.

edumucate me on what gets converted on a Saiga

Saigas are imported as a sportster. You remove the sportster stock, remove the trigger group, move the trigger group forward, install a handgrip where the trigger group used to be, then you install a bullet guide so they can accept regular AK magazines.

Basically, you change out the stock, remove the trigger guard and replace the trigger group add a pistol grip, and new trigger guard for a basic conversion.

The trigger in the stock Saiga is ugly but works. It is set back about two inches form a stock AK. Most conversions use a single hook G2 Tapco trigger. It a a amazing transformation over a stock AK or Saiga trigger

what is wrong with Century?

They had a reputation for not don't very good work. Basically you could guarantee a caved gas block or front sight. They have recently begun contracting out their builds and quality had gotten a lot better.

what is wrong with Century?

I have purchase a few of the guns they have built over the years. They all have had issues. Their customer service/warranty dept sucks. Don't get me wrong I buy ammo from them and some mil/surplus guns if they have them. I won't purchase any thing they build. Goggle "Century Tantal" and read some of the horror stories for starters. In short they make three different barrels for this rifle to help the image of it. Then they dropp the price of it by 200.00 to screw the orginal owners. Not to include canted front sight blocks. This is just one example

Budget will determine this for you. It is hard to beat a saiga, or converted saiga. They have Russian hammer forged and chrome lined barrels, and built on Russian receivers. Most ak47 out there now are parts guns, usually assembled on US made barrels. A stock saiga is only $300, conversion parts will run you about 150 plus your elbow grease.

Already converted guns from arsenal are a great deal! Look at the sgl21

K-Var Corp.

There are also cheaper converted guns:

California Legal Russian AK47 Rifle WA B47

Can you post a link to said $300 saiga of a distributor you trust?

Guest bkelm18
Does anyone sell a Siaga conversion kit with wood furniture?

I haven't seen too many full blown kits, but you can buy wood furniture separately. Only hangup is that if you want to install a non-Saiga forend, that actually takes a bit of work unless you want to use bolt-on retainers like these: dinzagarms. You would also have to swap out the gas tube.

I have the first AK in that picture (M10-762). I haven't shot it yet but it appears to be pretty solid. Front sight post is straight from what I can tell (many of the other types of AK's have canted sights)...I agree with everyone here that Century sucks. I have no personal experience with them but the internet has an overwhelming big thumbs down for Century. That's a big enough red flag to avoid like the plague.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, i'm getting this one from a forum member, just happen to come up while i was looking, they other rifles were at centerfiresystems.com, really goo prices and the rifles looked nice. I was leaning torwards the Bulgarian AK47, but this one was setup the way i liked

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-classifieds/65556-ak47-c-rpg-arms-houston-tx-sale.html

The saiga was nice, but after watching a video on youtube on the converting process i think i would rather just get one done already. Thanks again, next purchase is going to be a 1911 :shrug:

Danny

so you were the lucky buyer of Jeff's AK? It is a beauty. Real nice looking and if he had it you know it was a good rifle. If not he would have said so.

You did good.

I need a few more weeks before commiting to another firearm. So far I can say I lost a Beretta 9mm and this AK while I wait.