Interesting Dilemma

My HCP expires sometime this coming week. I sent in the renewal about 2 months ago and still haven't gotten it.

Now, if it expires, I can't carry legally. That would mean taking my gun, unloading it, carrying it unloaded in the car and into my shop, and then loading it back up again. Reverse process at end of the day.

That would leave me exposed with no weapon at the end of the day, when I am locking up, no one around, usually carrying money for a bank deposit.

OTOH, if caught with gun and no CCW I could get a misdemeanor and probably be barred from getting one issued. Of course the last time I was asked to produce my HCP in the 8 years I've had one has been...never.

Hmm, what to do....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH, if caught with gun and no CCW I could get a misdemeanor and probably be barred from getting one issued. Of course the last time I was asked to produce my HCP in the 8 years I've had one has been...never.

Hmm, what to do....

My mom use to always say "If a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his @ss!"

Do you park on your property? Technically you should be able to cary to your car and keep the gun loaded until you are off of your property.

At that point I'm sure you will be a good citizen and unload the weapon and store it legally for transport.

Guest mtsusean

what "is" a reasonable turn-around time for renewals? Mine also expires this month. It's been at least three weeks since I sent the renewal in and I was really anticipating seeing it show up any day now.

Officer,I was unaware my hcp expired this week :mad:

Or,officer,I know my hcp has expired,but the nice girl at TDOS said it has been renewed and was in the mail,say can I interest you in this nice new shiny S&W right here in my case at dealer cost :D

Guest GLOCKGUY

this is one of the reasons i go to the DMV and get my CHP renewed. that way i can just carry that yellow piece of paper they give me until my new CHP comes in :mad:

I very recently had to renew my HCP. I did it at the DMV and was given a piece of paper that said I had paid to renew it...basically a receipt.....it also said right on it that it was not to be used as a temporary permit. I asked the lady there "what happens if I don't get my new permit before mine expires?" She told me I wouldn't be able to carry until the new one came in. Luckily my new permit came in the day before my old one expired.

Guest GLOCKGUY
I very recently had to renew my HCP. I did it at the DMV and was given a piece of paper that said I had paid to renew it...basically a receipt.....it also said right on it that it was not to be used as a temporary permit. I asked the lady there "what happens if I don't get my new permit before mine expires?" She told me I wouldn't be able to carry until the new one came in. Luckily my new permit came in the day before my old one expired.

this is off there website. where did you go they were suppose to take your old permit and send it in with your application. it sounds like they dont know what there doing

How to Renew Your Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

• Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application.Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.

Tennessee Department of Safety

Handgun Permit Office

1150 Foster Ave.

Nashville, Tn 37243-1000

Edited by GLOCKGUY

Unless something has changed,

From 39-17-1351

(q) (1) Prior to the expiration of a permit, a permit holder may apply to the department for the renewal of the permit by submitting, under oath, a renewal application with a renewal fee of fifty dollars ($50.00). The renewal application shall be on a standard form developed by the department of safety and shall require the applicant to disclose, under oath, the information concerning the applicant as set forth in subsection ©, and shall require the applicant to certify that the applicant still satisfies all the eligibility requirements of this section for the issuance of a permit. In the event the permit expires prior to the department's approval or issuance of notice of denial regarding the renewal application, the permit holder shall be entitled to continue to use the expired permit; provided, however, that the permit holder shall also be required to prove by displaying a receipt for the renewal application fee that the renewal application was delivered to the department prior to the expiration date of the permit.

"Varmint"

TNDoS has the same length of time to issue a renewal as they do a new permit, technically... that's 90days, so it's possible that you will be without a permit during that time. However, due to the wording of 39-17-1351 (q), as long as you have not been sent notice of denial, your receipt in conjunction with your expired permit are sufficient to keep you legal.

this is one of the reasons i go to the DMV and get my CHP renewed. that way i can just carry that yellow piece of paper they give me until my new CHP comes in :up:

Me too!

When you renew your permit you are supposed to get a temporary permit to print out and keep until yours arrives. That's my understanding anyway. Should confirm with DOS.

Yep see below!

Unless something has changed,

From 39-17-1351

(q) (1) Prior to the expiration of a permit, a permit holder may apply to the department for the renewal of the permit by submitting, under oath, a renewal application with a renewal fee of fifty dollars ($50.00). The renewal application shall be on a standard form developed by the department of safety and shall require the applicant to disclose, under oath, the information concerning the applicant as set forth in subsection ©, and shall require the applicant to certify that the applicant still satisfies all the eligibility requirements of this section for the issuance of a permit. In the event the permit expires prior to the department's approval or issuance of notice of denial regarding the renewal application, the permit holder shall be entitled to continue to use the expired permit; provided, however, that the permit holder shall also be required to prove by displaying a receipt for the renewal application fee that the renewal application was delivered to the department prior to the expiration date of the permit.

"Varmint"

She told you wrong (big suprise). See above.

isn't there a law in TN that allows business owners to carry a gun concealed or otherwise while coming or going from their business provided they are carrying cash to be used in the operation of the business?

No, unless they have a permit issued under 39-17-1351

You know, I thought that was a little strange when the lady at the DMV told me that.....It was Morristown and they're usually always pretty confused there :up: I have renewed my HCP before and I thought I remembered them saying that the paperwork they give you will suffice until your new HCP comes in. Oh well.....I got lucky and got mine right before it expired so it didn't matter.

Guest rockytop

DMV in Jackson told me the application receipt WOULD serve as a temporary license if my permanent renewal was not received by the expiration of the current permit.