Flying with a handgun

Guest Nash45

Guest Nash45

I am going to be flying from Nashville to Amarillo,TX. in a few weeks. I am flying Southwest and from what I can see from their websight it is ok to fly with a handgun as long as it is in a strong handgun case that can be locked. It will have to check it in with the ticket agent when I get there.

This is my first time doing this and I just wanted to hear from some of ya'll on if it went smooth at the airline counter.

thanks,

CAR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

I heard someone say not to long ago that they travel alot and their luggage would get lost about once a year, they started bringing their gun, and has not lost his luggage since then. They said all you do is what was mentioned above, locked case etc, and check it in and they have had no problems.

You would think that they would have someone accountable for it from the time you hand it over until you pick it back up at your destination. I was in Texas last week and I talked about this.

I dunno, I travel about 5-6 times a year, and it would be nice to be able to protect myself better, I don't think nail clippers would be that effective.

Guest db99wj
So if it was locked,etc you could carry it on your person on the plane loaded?

No, it has to be check with checked luggage only. The first statement below the title says in bold, You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

The TSA website mentioned above has a lot of info, but you would need to check with your airline company as well, this is Northwest's policy.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/specialitems.html#fire

Guest Medic908

I've travelled and had to transport a handgun, the TSA link will give you all the information you need. It was a lot smoother than I anticipated. Good luck!

If you have a hard shell suitcase I would use that in addition to the hardcase for the pistol. The nice thing about flying with one like was mentioned above. They will visiually inspect it, lock the suitcase back up, and it will stay locked until it gets to the other end. Don't have to worry about TSA getting a bug to open your suitcase after they run it through the xray.

If you need a good carry case I found one made by Vanguard. Very nice because it has an internal locking system as well eyelets to add additional locks. vanguardusa.com is the website and the one i bought is the 6226. It holds a single compact or subcompact, 3 mags and additional box of ammo if needed. It has the egg shell foam so what i did to keep everything in place was trace the outline of all I wanted in there and then cut out the raised portion of the foam on the bottom. Also took one of the styrofoam holders from a WWB and cut it down to hold 30 rnds. all fits in pretty nice.

I did it prior to 911 one time.

It went kind of smooth; other than a new agent that freaked when I told her I wanted to declare a firearm.

But when I got to California my bag came out on the carousel with a big red tag on it that said GUN. I didn’t do it anymore. :D

GUN

Guest .45Jon

Well i learned something new I actually didn't know you could take it IN the airport let alone check it in with the luggage and take it with you...i thought they would FREAK.

45jon:

Though it's always a topic of debate Nashville Airport like any other business can, has decided to post a no firearms sign even if you are staying in the ticketed area. You might be able to get out of it if the sign is not properly posted but you will probably be there a while if they were to catch you.

45jon:

Though it's always a topic of debate Nashville Airport like any other business can, has decided to post a no firearms sign even if you are staying in the ticketed area. You might be able to get out of it if the sign is not properly posted but you will probably be there a while if they were to catch you.

Knoxville's the same way.

Now that I'm retired, I drive everywhere I go. I'd take off and drive to Amarillo at the drop of a hat, and I'd drop the hat. :D

45jon:

AFAIK though you can still carry one in the proper container to check it in your luggage, even with a properly posted sign. Just not on your person strolling around the airport.

Guest .45Jon
AFAIK though you can still carry one in the proper container to check it in your luggage, even with a properly posted sign. Just not on your person strolling around the airport.

Thats kinda what i meant in a case/hard case, even then I thought it was a " no no"..I just never really thought about it I guess.

I was actually was planning a trip to see some friends and fam in TX and the only reason I blew flying off was b/c i'd be without my firearm now i'm considering it...in the past i'v driven every trip I took.

Guest nosnos

I've checked a gun twice. Really easy and smooth. My experience was that the ticket person wanted as little to do with it as possible. Once they didnt even look at the gun at all. Just asked if it was unloaded. Ammo MUST be in the factory packaging though.

What problems have people had? It seems to me if you conform to TSA rules you're covered. I'd be interested to hear specifics about any bad experiences.