2012 Presidential Primary Poll

Who do you plan on voting for on Super Tuesday?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you plan on voting for on Super Tuesday?

• Michelle Bachmann
    • Newt Gingrich
    • Jon Huntsman
    • Ron Paul
    • Rick Perry
    • Mitt Romney
    • Rick Santorum
    • None of the above
    • I'm a Democrat
    • Not going to vote

Once again, I'm not real happy with the selection of candidates. I will most likely support Gingrich though, because I think he is the only one that could seriously take on Obama and cut him to shreds in a debate and win an election. I also think he would appoint pro 2nd Amendment Justices to the Supreme Court. I think Romney could possibly beat Obama too, but I do not under any circumstances trust Northeastern politicians with our 2nd Amendment rights. I wouldn't trust a west coast Politician either for that matter. Christy would have been a complete disaster for the 2nd amendment had he chosen to run.

I could like Paul, but I do not like his isolationist stance. I don't think it's good for the US to withdraw back into it's borders on not help allies. I could imagine what that stance would have earned us in 1941, if Roosevelt had felt that way. I personally am glad we aren't speaking German and going around spying on each other and wiping out whole populations because we don't agree with them religiously or hate their "kind" (stick whatever minority in there you like). We are the strongest nation on earth and we must lead regardless of what others call us or say about us.

If this is the best the Republican party can put up then Obama will win in 2012.

I'm to the point of accepting bets on it.

Wouldn't take that bet myself, though looking like it may close rather than a mandate either side.

I don't think Newt or Mitt either one, or as running mates, can get enough independent votes to swing it, and think that just about as many folks who voted Rep last time will defect as will Dems disgusted with O. Plus strong possibility that a much higher percentage of the far right may just write in vote in protest, or bag election day completely.

I also don't think new young voters are gonna flock to the phoney consummate Yankee pol with the phoney Beavis and Butthead chuckle or the icy egocentric logic of he chubby old Georgia fart. And there's a ton of protestants that won't vote for a Morman or a twice divorced converted Catholic.

I do believe that if O can dump Joe and pick up Hildebeeste, he could win going away on strength of black, hispanic, and women's vote while all the other voter bases basically even out.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18
We are the strongest nation on earth and we must lead regardless of what others call us or say about us.

It's not our job to police the world. We have much bigger problems at home that could use the attention and money.

It's not our job to police the world. We have much bigger problems at home that could use the attention and money.

And I agree with that, but we have to still lead and sometimes that requires policing and money too. Besides, we can't just surrender everything to the Chinese. Which in my opinion is what Ron Paul would do. If we become isolationist, then in 20 years the power of the world is going to be located in the far east with the rest of the world kowtowing to them. The EU isn't scared of us, they are are scared of China. Same goes for the democratic countries in Asia and the southern hemisphere, like Japan, Korea, Australia and the Philippines. That's why we signed that agreement with the Australians a couple of weeks back that allows us to station 2500 marines there permanently as a coordinating command. The Chinese are giving money to every third world country in the world and everyone knows they aren't doing it because they're just good people and feel sorry for the poor and hungry. They're doing it so they can have a big stick to keep these people in line, when it comes time to directly challenge us. I don't think we really want to be without allies when that time comes and it will come.

The other thing is I don't think Ron Paul will be able to get congress to go along with him on what he wants to do. They all but shut him out in the House as far as leadership goes.

Edited by Moped
Guest Lester Weevils

Youngsters usually turn out in disappointing numbers on election day. Probably get stoned and forget it is election day. ;)

But paradoxically, ancient old Ron Paul seems to draw more young folk than the other republicans. Have read many news reports about how lots of youngsters attend the Ron Paul speeches.

Guest mikedwood
Besides, we can't just surrender everything to the Chinese.

We already have, trade deals that levy no tariffs, allowing our environmental regulations and zoning to get out of control, allowing subsidization of certain retailers wages by food stamps and programs like Tenn Care. And most of all Americans "saving" a buck by buying Chinese made goods so much there aren't any America goods in so many (and growing areas) to choose from if you do want to spend the extra money. And it's not getting any better.

Ya reckon Weasel Zippers is pretty influential in shaping public opinion, huh? - OS
As much as any other news source....or poll. :D

100 new members since this thread was started, hmmm, cool ;).

Edited by kieefer
just saying
Ya reckon Weasel Zippers is pretty influential in shaping public opinion, huh?

- OS

While I'm pretty sure most have never heard of Weasel Zippers, I was just reading some comments from someone who does have a fair amount of influence. I was reading where Glen Beck stated he would vote for Paul as a third party candidate if Gingrich got the GOP nomination, and he hates a lot of Paul's foreign policy views. Like Beck or not (think he is crazy or not), he still is pretty influential, and that is a damning indictment against Gingrich's supposed conservative credentials.

This is going to be a very interesting primary. Alas, the more I talk to people about the election, I get more of a "we are so screwed" feeling.

Guest Lester Weevils
While I'm pretty sure most have never heard of Weasel Zippers, I was just reading some comments from someone who does have a fair amount of influence. I was reading where Glen Beck stated he would vote for Paul as a third party candidate if Gingrich got the GOP nomination, and he hates a lot of Paul's foreign policy views. Like Beck or not (think he is crazy or not), he still is pretty influential, and that is a damning indictment against Gingrich's supposed conservative credentials.

This is going to be a very interesting primary. Alas, the more I talk to people about the election, I get more of a "we are so screwed" feeling.

Yeah, but Beck's favorites are Santorum and Bachman, the same as Levin's favorites. And they criticize Ron Paul supporters of having poor judgement! :)

I'm sure that Romney vs BarryO is a coin toss. I suspect the best 3 for the job (Huntsman, Santorum, and Bachmann) have no chance in the primary. And Rick Perry is a punchline waiting on a joke. I doubt Paul has a shot in the general election. Even though I like his economics enough to vote for him, I loathe his foreign policy enough to pass.

So, I'm holding my nose and checking the box beside Newt's name, since Cain is out of the race.

Election 2012: New Hampshire Republican Primary - Rasmussen Reports™

Voters shows Romney with 33% of the vote, followed by Gingrich at 22%. Paul now picks up 18% support.

Of course this is Romney's home state.:)

No, he just owns a home there. Also has homes in MA and Kali.

He's Michigan boy, worked for years in Boston, which led to his becoming gov of MA. (where "everything is illegal")

- OS

This!

We are indeed screwed.

Glenn

No, he just owns a home there. Also has homes in MA and Kali.

He's Michigan boy, worked for years in Boston, which led to his becoming gov of MA. (where "everything is illegal")

- OS

Yep, my bad. I was thinking MA and being a Gov. there. Thanks for the correction, as if it matters.

I've read where he's a pretty thrifty fellow which is a good trait to have but, he has too many liberal leanings for my liking.

I was just reading an article about Paul posted on Drudge.

Ron Paul gains ground, further stirring Republicans | Reuters

There is nothing really new in the article, but I did find one paragraph interesting.

His call to abolish the Federal Reserve alarms Wall Street Republicans. His advocacy for withdrawing from U.S. military engagements abroad concerns national security Republicans. Social conservatives may be wary of his refusal to oppose gay marriage, as Paul says the federal government has no business regulating any marriage.

Wall street Republicans don't like him.

National security Republicans don't like him.

Social conservative Republicans don't like him.

We haven't really had for a long time, perhaps the first time, a true anti-special interest candidate. I find that quite refreshing.