Background checks on guns

UncleJak

So, lets say I has someone wanting to sell me a pistol for a ridiculously low price. This price is so low I have to think it is stolen. The guy assures me it is not. Now, I don't want to cause myself or the seller any troubles, but I don't want to buy a stolen gun. I have heard that you can ask your local police department to run a check on the gun for you. I have also heard that if it is in fact stolen, they will take it away. I haven't bought anything like this, but have had a few offers thrown at me (not on here). I turned them down for fear they were stolen. I always heard if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Anyone have experience in this??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it to a dealer and ask for them to do a transfer to you on a form 4473. If the gun's serial number checks out, then you're good to go. If the price is THAT low, you have at least $35 in savings to spend.

Don't pay the seller until the weapon passes muster. If he is not open to all of this, the probability of the weapon checking out is not worth your time or money.

EDIT: What is he selling and how much? There's a line between someone in hard times and someone flipping hot merchandise.

Edited by Glock30
Take it to a dealer and ask for them to do a transfer to you on a form 4473. If the gun's serial number checks out, then you're good to go. If the price is THAT low, you have at least $35 in savings to spend.

Don't pay the seller until the weapon passes muster. If he is not open to all of this, the probability of the weapon checking out is not worth your time or money.

EDIT: What is he selling and how much? There's a line between someone in hard times and someone flipping hot merchandise.

Very good advice

If it's cheaper than $25 go ahead and buy it then take it to Kroger. They are accepting all handguns NO QUESTIONS ASKED in return for a $25 Gift card. In all seriousness just get it checked out. You did answer your own question with this though...

I always heard if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

IIRC the dealer is also required to 1) keep the gun if it comes back dirty and 2) call the police as well. The dealer will charge you $$ for the service. The police may do it for free. If the guy is legit, take it to the police & run a check might be the better option.

When it comes to stolen firearms it is to my understanding that the information needs to continuesly be reentered into NCIC every year. So the longer it has been stolen the less likely it would be to show up. So I would say the chances of it showing up stolen if it really was is less than 50% because most people don't know there serials anyway. If they bought the gun new the BATF can retreive the serial numbers if the reporting agency knows or cares to call.

Stolen guns are weird, it's almost always a a saturday night special $100 gun especially HiPoints. If it is a quality gun it's almost always a SIG or a Smith.

Oh and everyway there is to "run" serial numbers will require you to relinquish the firearm if it is hot.

Running a check is a good thing, but it still isn't conclusive...I heard of a gun shop that bought some used guns one time, running the state check prior to buying them...came back clean...then a few days later when selling one of the guns, 2nd check came back as stolen!

OK, same scenario, except the guy says "it's not stolen, here is the serial #" Can I get that checked out without having the firearm? And if it is stolen, since I don't have possession, how does the confiscation occur?

If it came back hot, the officer or FFL who ran it for you will want to know where the number came from. That's just a whole 'nother can of worms you don't want to open up. If your seller isn't ok with the idea of coming along, pass on it. It's your expense, not his - what's he got to lose (except hot merchandise)?

The bottom line here is that the process may not be perfect, with the stolen gun database perhaps not always being up to snuff, but you'll have a government-approved clean bill of health AND peace of mind.

OK, same scenario, except the guy says "it's not stolen, here is the serial #" Can I get that checked out without having the firearm? And if it is stolen, since I don't have possession, how does the confiscation occur?
Will the law even check a serial number without the gun being in hand?

Most folks have reported no luck with that, unless they got a LEO friend with some pull to do it.

- OS

Will the law even check a serial number without the gun being in hand?

Probably depends on the location, Mike.

My local Sheriff will check a number without the gun, but if one ever comes back dirty I know he'll want to know where it came from. I wouldn't have a problem telling him though if some SOB was trying to sell me a stolen gun.

I would gladly tell all the info I have if one ever came back stolen. I just wish there was an easier way to tell if someone is needing money or if they are a thief. Following my gut usually works, but sometimes I'd rather have a little more proof than a gut feeling. It would be cool if there was a searchable database, but then it would be harder for LEOs to actually get their hands on the guns. Of course in a perfect world this wouldn't be an issue because no one would steal. :slap:

Seems to cheap to be true, but I have seen dumba$$ rednecks buy things and then a year later sell them for bargain basement price because they need/want to buy something or they have a bill to pay.

Too bad there is not a site on the net where anyone can run for stolen.

Would help law enforcement and insurance companies and only query an existing database