Can I carry where prohibited if?

Guest gbliss

Can I go to lets say a VA where guns are not allowed and keep my gun in a locked box and with the slide removed? or anyother place that has a no guns allowed sign per TCA 39-17-1351?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's 39-17-1359 (1351 is the permit statute).

If the parking lot isn't posted you can leave it assembled and fully loaded in the glove box if you choose.

Inside a locked safe would be a major improvement.

YMMV, but I usually leave an AK on the dashboard with an extra mag stuck in the 8-track player...

SafeRetrieve5.jpg

Inside a locked safe would be a major improvement.

YMMV, but I usually leave an AK on the dashboard with an extra mag stuck in the 8-track player...

SafeRetrieve5.jpg

I agree a safe would be more secure and I have a Center-of-Mass safe myself. I was just wanting to point out that it wasn't necessary for any legal requirements....

Parking lot of the VA Hospital in Murfreesboro is posted. :tinfoil:

Hmmm...

AFAIK the law really doesn't address how to make it legal to carry gun components past a 39-17-1359 sign. In all honesty I would say it would be up to each LEO as to how far you'd have to break it down and store it to be legal, if it can be legal at all.

Of course my main objective would be not to give anyone any reason to want to search my vehicle.....

I would think that unloaded and or taken apart is not "carrying" it. At that point you are looking at the transportation rules, which are different from carry rules ... right? It would be like going through new york with one taken apart and unloaded in the car, its being transported, not carried, and I think there was a ruling on that a couple of years back (one of the lawyers will know). But this may lead down that grey area rabbit hole... where you may be in the right but still end up paying a ton in lawyer fees and time and aggravation that could have been avoided --- a determined cop or prosecutor can make your life miserable for a decade even if you didnt do a darn thing wrong.

I would think that unloaded and or taken apart is not "carrying" it. At that point you are looking at the transportation rules, which are different from carry rules ... right? It would be like going through new york with one taken apart and unloaded in the car, its being transported, not carried, and I think there was a ruling on that a couple of years back (one of the lawyers will know).,,,

"Couple of years back" as in 1986 :tinfoil: -- part of federal Firearm Owners Protection Act. But has nothing to do with TN state law as per 1359 or carry in federal buildings, only the interstate transportation of arms.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The Feds ain't gonna let you carry there period, whether diassembled or or lock or whatever. lol. No way no how. Thats not TN law so much as fed rules. I can just picture myself trying to splain to the Feds whats in my locked box, Somehow, I don't get warm fuzzies thinking about how understanding they would be, lol.

,,, Thats not TN law so much as fed rules. ...

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was only TN state law involved with a federal building (edited my previous post). However, feds can also post property with 1359, to cover property and not just buildings. National vet cemetery in 'Nooga is, for example.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
The Feds ain't gonna let you carry there period, whether diassembled or or lock or whatever. lol. No way no how. Thats not TN law so much as fed rules. I can just picture myself trying to splain to the Feds whats in my locked box, Somehow, I don't get warm fuzzies thinking about how understanding they would be, lol.

How are the feds going to know you have a locked box hidden under your seat to begin with?

And Federal law allows the transporting of firearms... I can't imagine anybody getting charged for an unloaded firearm (with the ammo stored separately) in a locked safe out of reach of the driver.

Guest bkelm18
But isn't there something wrong with a Congress that will pass a National Carry Law, subscribe to abide by the 2nd Admendment, and forbid citizens to carry of Federal property?!?

Congress didn't pass a National Carry Law. :cool: Only the House.

Guest WyattEarp
Hmmm...

AFAIK the law really doesn't address how to make it legal to carry gun components past a 39-17-1359 sign. In all honesty I would say it would be up to each LEO as to how far you'd have to break it down and store it to be legal, if it can be legal at all.

Of course my main objective would be not to give anyone any reason to want to search my vehicle.....

Sign at VA Murfreesboro says "No Weapons Allowed on these premises". posted at all entrances. I go there enough, I have to remind myself when I'm out running multiple errands on a day I have an appointment, not to bring my handgun.

Federal Law, dictated on Federal Property supercedes State Law regarding HCP :lol:

Edited by WyattEarp
...Federal Law, dictated on Federal Property supercedes State Law regarding HCP :)

To my knowledge however, federal law can only ban weapons in federal BUILDINGS, not parking lots or other lands, though they could post a TCA compliant sign for parking lot too; but this wouldn't have penal repercussions in most states.

I guess there is some additional law about military installations, but have never read it.

- OS

Sign at VA Murfreesboro says "No Weapons Allowed on these premises". posted at all entrances. I go there enough, I have to remind myself when I'm out running multiple errands on a day I have an appointment, not to bring my handgun.

Federal Law, dictated on Federal Property supercedes State Law regarding HCP :)

To my knowledge however, federal law can only ban weapons in federal BUILDINGS, not parking lots or other lands, though they could post a TCA compliant sign for parking lot too; but this wouldn't have penal repercussions in most states.

I guess there is some additional law about military installations, but have never read it.

- OS

What he said....

I never understood under what authority the gummit banned guns in national parks. I guess it was just an interior dept. "rule", but not US Code. So all these federal agencies may have "rules" about guns.

- OS

Yeah...99.9% sure it was a rule. I remember it being called a "rule chage" when it happened...

Guest bkelm18
Yeah...99.9% sure it was a rule. I remember it being called a "rule chage" when it happened...

Since it was a "rule", could any charges have been brought against you if you got caught carrying?

Since it was a "rule", could any charges have been brought against you if you got caught carrying?
Good questions, but I would assume so. (Of course we know what assuming does)

There's probably a law that specifies punishment for breaking a rule. It's all very Orwellian/Ayn Randish.

- OS