How do I break the news to my daughter....

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

Came home tonight from work...went to check on my buddy Peyton (choc lab) and HE IS GONE!!!!

Door is open and no Peyton.

Bungies that I used to hold door shut were off...AND HANGING UP AT TOP OF KENNEL!!! at least they had common courtesy to pick up after them selves!!!

I fed him before I went to work at 5:30 am. Wife checked him on before she left for work at 10:30.

My 5 year old is trying to figure out what I am DISCRETELY talking to my wife about...

She is WAY ATTACHED to Peyton and this will not go over well

Maryvill-ians please be on the look out for a Choc lab...small white patch on chest. Front two paws have white patches on them.

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon after my son was born (he's 5 now) my brother gave my mom a puppy to keep her comany around the house. My son became very attached to this little dog... well, we all did. This past summer we were in Brazil and I got an email from my brother saying that Sophie (my moms dog) had been hit by a car and killed. We weren't going to be back home for another month so I had a lot of time to think about how I was going to break the news to him, I was really dreading having that conversation. The more I thought about it the more I felt that I should just tell him the truth about what happened. When we got home to TN I sat him down and told him about Sophie, he teared up and cried for a few minutes, but took the news really well.

So, for me honesty worked out pretty good, but every child is different and you know your little girl best.

I hope you guys get your dog back.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest WyattEarp

that's a real bummer :) sorry to hear this, and I wish you the best of luck in finding him.

but I guess you tell your child the truth, that someone stole the dog? :)

Wow I hate that for you and the rest of the family,

I agree with BrasilNuts the truth,

when I have had to break bad news like death of a close family member, or when we had to make the decision to put one of our pets down I spoke to them more like adults than I normally did. I made sure they knew it was something I was hurt and upset about and that that was OK and normal

and I made sure to let this show.

Yes folks when I had to break it to my youngest boy at the time that our dog had to be put down I cried with him.

How old is the dog?

Did it bark a lot or have any habits others might not like?

I would start looking locally in your neighborhood, especially if the dog was housed in a back yard. I would also call the nearest animal drop off. Perhaps a neighbor didn't like the dog for whatever reason and took it to a shelter.

Put up flyers and make sure to put on the flyers, that you are going to post everywhere, that the dog was your 5 year old child's best friend. I know it seems drastic but I am sure a local media outlet would be all over a heart wrenching story of a young child's best friend being taken during the holidays. Then if all else fails offer a small reward. You would be surprized how many bad guys have a change of heart when they start feeling the heat.

Dolomite

Guest rebeldrummer

*UPDATE*

Peyton has been found!!!!! Blount County animal shelter is currently babysitting him....

Foul play is still believed to be involved as its obvious that someone was tampering with his stuff

and his coller/tags are missing. Oh and the kennel was opened (2 locks!)

Someone is either playing a mean prank or had it set out to emotionally hurt/upset our family??

Thanks for the respones and the concerns.....now down to business.

Someone is going to pay.....

Glad to hear it.

Now you need to figure out who did it and prevent it from ahppening again. If it was personal they will do the same or even something else to grief you.

Did they say they found the dog or was it dropped off? Most shelters take basic information when dogs are dropped off. Not saying you can prove they took the dog but it will give you a place to start if it happens again.

Dolomite

That's AWESOME!!! Now, some preventive measures and some vigilance.

Personally, I'd buy your baby girl a new puppy to keep Peyton company.

Such as a belgian malinois

610px-Belgian_Malinois_Puppy.jpg

Strong fast loyal and obedient but are quite adept at tearing off important parts of a bad guy's body

Bubba2001Vince.jpg

Seriously though, that is some great news. That could have destroyed a christmas right there.