Any one own a kimber 1911

BLACKVANDRIVER

I am considering a trade deal for a Kimber ultra shadow Le II. I know nothing about them because I have never been into 1911's

I have read both horror stories and HIGH praise for them. I will be into it around $750.00 so dont want to lose my tail if they are expensive junk!

This is not a debate on what condition the trade is in becuase I wont see it till tomorrow. Its just a general question to those that own them.

Edited by BLACKVANDRIVER
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange you should ask that question. I do have a Pro Carry II and found it to be a good, reliable weapon for me. Bought it used with Tru-Glo nitesites and Hogue grip. Quite comfortable and easy to shoot. Depending on your trade, could be a good deal.

Another pm coming.

I had one and really liked it until I had to disassemble it for cleaning. It was a pain for me and I didn't look forward to doing it every time I shot, that's not just a Kimber thing though its a 1911 thing since they all come apart relatively the same. I just figured out that it wasn't for me and I have a lot of other guns that keep me happy.

That may seem like a small thing but since I have a slight case of OCD when it comes to cleaning (if it gets dirty/shot it gets cleaned) from my tactical training I want something that is at least as easy to take apart as my M9 was or it just gets annoying.

If you don't mind that and want a 1911 style pistol you can't go wrong with a Kimber. If you haven't handled a 1911 then I recommend going to a gun store and have them show you what it is all about.

I did get my money's worth when I traded mine though...

Guest TresOsos

If your not well versed in 1911 I don't think I would make my first one a compact, you really should get a full size as a first 1911, to learn the in's and out's so to speak.

It is however your $750 but I think for those dollars you could do better than a Kimber considering you don't seem to mind going used.

Some people have Kimbers and love them others not so much, quality control with Kimber is hit and miss at best.

I always suggest a Colt Governemnt Model for a first 1911. As for disasembly, I've been trearing down 1911's for 20 years nothing difficult to it.

If your not well versed in 1911 I don't think I would make my first one a compact, you really should get a full size as a first 1911, to learn the in's and out's so to speak.

It is however your $750 but I think for those dollars you could do better than a Kimber considering you don't seem to mind going used.

Some people have Kimbers and love them others not so much, quality control with Kimber is hit and miss at best.

I always suggest a Colt Governemnt Model for a first 1911. As for disasembly, I've been trearing down 1911's for 20 years nothing difficult to it.

My daily carry is a s&w 625-10 which is a 2" snub .45 acp and was just looking for the same caliber to add to my rotation for daily carry. I just am not sure of the quality of a gun that cost $1100 and so many complain but then so many give it the thumbs up. I do not see how one company could have so much varied quality control.

I am not much on the 1911' s even though some will say they will live and die by one, but I thought that it might be a good time to learn the ins and outs of one just not sure if I want to risk $750 worth on one with a so so reputation unless someone here has a solid experience of owning one with or with out issues.

Guest dubaholic2

kimbers are fantastic. hand made in the USA. for $750 i dont see how you could go wrong. superior quality to post series 70 colts, and most every other gun in their price range. just my $.02

I loved the Kimber I had, sold it only to fund other gun purchases.

However I do not like the ultra(3") 1911s. They have more problems, regardless manufacturing company. A lot have non problems whatsoever, but others are wrought with issues. I wouldn't hesitate to trade for a 4" or full size Kimber.

However I do not like the ultra(3") 1911s. They have more problems, regardless manufacturing company. A lot have non problems whatsoever, but others are wrought with issues. I wouldn't hesitate to trade for a 4" or full size Kimber.

I have to agree here. Started off on the 1911 road with an Ultra Carry and did experience some problems with it. Traded up to a custom-built Commander and haven't looked back.

I have owned four Kimbers in the last two years. All of them have been flawless. I have never had any problems with any of them. I currently carry a Super Carry Pro HD everyday. I have found that Kimbers are very tight when you first get them and after about 500 rounds they really begin to losen up. I will purchase more Kimbers in the future. Next one will be a Super Carry Ultra.

the kimber 1911 is the most i ever spent on a new pistol. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER!

do not get me wrong we own only 1 or 2 pistols were we did not put in about what we paid for it so it would be a good happy shooter.

the kimber never got the chance, problems and the CS anwser was always it is a kimber so it must be you.

on a side note we also ran Para's P-14's and a P-18. and Springfields.

to a friend of mine who had one that would run called there CS about the black wearing off around the trigger, kimber told him to buy a sharpie

I dig my Kimber. I don't carry it much since I picked up a Glock, but before then I carried it everywhere. I have a 4''; only a few malfunctions in the first 200 rds and since then it's been fine. If you're buying a used one it should be broken in so you shouldn't have any issues; if not run a few hundred rounds through it and break it in.

Guest dubaholic2

they do require a break-in period, around 200 rounds or so. as far as problems with them, name me one thing, not necessarily a gun, that is mass produced and doesnt have a problem here or there-- there are none. everything out there has problems from time to time. i think some people bash kimbers because they pay a hefty price for them so they expect them to be perfect.

I've had two Kimber's both full size 5" guns and they performed flawlessly. However, the Ultra 3" barrel seems to have the most dissatisfied owners. The sub compact 1911 as a whole are harder to keep running than their full size counterparts. Everything has to be in top shape for them to run reliable as to where 5" guns are quite a bit more forgiving. I personally would not carry any brand of 3" 1911. I do carry a 5" Les Baer daily. But for $750, you would likely be able to get out of it pretty easliy if you don't like it.

I have a kimber custom II that i like very much, its all stock except for the 47d magazine and the grips, I bought it new, around 900 after everything was said and done. I did all the proper break in and have had no problems at all of any kind, dont worry about dissambly and reassemble after a few times its a breeze, mine was new so it was real tight getting the slide stop back in at first but now it snaps right in(no idiot marks thank god). I looked at 1911s for about 2 years before i made my choice, i dony know why so many folks dont like kimber. seems like people are sure swiping thier plastic for them at gun shows. anyway i think you would like kimber i went with the custom II cause everything is match grade just like all the other models it just aint as fancy looking,customize it yourself. hope this helps you

Edited by johnk4jmk

I have owned two. A 5"and a Compact 3". I kept them both less than a year. I had nothing but problems with mine. They have spotty customer service to me also. This was several years ago. I won't even consider one unless for resale. Now on that rant I have friends that swear by them.

Guest drv2fst

Love my Kimber Crimson Carry Pro. Had a USA Team Match before that and loved it too. I was more accurate with that USA Team Match than anything else I have owned since. I wish I had never sold it.