Got a reply from Knoxnews.com

Guest WyattEarp

yes it is him. look at the pics of himself on his site and his mugshot in the other link

So far he hasn’t denied it was him. He just hasn’t owned or denied what he was accused of. He just claims he is legally “Not Guiltyâ€.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To hell with the way the courts handled it or what they called it. Either you wrote the email or didn't. Your inability to deal speak about it says to me that you wrote it. And since thats the case, I no longer have any respect for you at all.

Your attitude about e-stealing and your letter to that councilman prove to me that you are a waste of oxygen. Ain't got much use for people like you.

Guest bkelm18

From the article, a snippet of Wyatt's "alleged" email:

"Hey, n-----," the Email reads. "You really are a dumb dumb (*expletive*) n-----, piece of (*expletive*), you know that?" The sender operated under a screen name of "Noah of God."

Yeah, not the kind of person that I'd want representing us in a newspaper. That was pretty dumb if you thought nobody would drag that up if you put that letter into KnoxNews.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest WyattEarp
To hell with the way the courts handled it or what they called it. Either you wrote the email or didn't. Your inability to deal speak about it says to me that you wrote it. And since thats the case, I no longer have any respect for you at all.

Your attitude about e-stealing and your letter to that councilman prove to me that you are a waste of oxygen. Ain't got much use for people like you.

well, I guess your comment in this thread only works on a one way street then huh?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/65262-should-some-felonies-fall-off-over-time-2.html#post819454

Before you make assumptions about me, get to know me.

If you want to make that assumption that's your business, but again, consider the source of the information and how well you know the media does not always report the truth or the facts as evidenced by the article that Pam Strickland wrote in which I responded to and pointed out her discrepancies.

but throwing blind judgements around about someone when you're not privileged to all of the details regarding the situation is a bad practice for you, for me, and for everyone else. I'm not tucking my tail in between my legs and going away, im not admitting to anything or denying anything, I've simply stated I don't wish to discuss it, and that should be respected, whether you or anyone else agrees, disagrees or has formed uninformed opinions on the matter.

If you want to make that assumption that's your business, but again, consider the source of the information and how well you know the media does not always report the truth or the facts as evidenced by the article that Pam Strickland wrote in which I responded to and pointed out her discrepancies.

but throwing blind judgements around about someone when you're not privileged to all of the details regarding the situation is a bad practice for you, for me, and for everyone else.

You have been given a platform, a platform that you built I might add, to give the facts. So if the media got it wrong, or you were wrongly accused; you now have an opportunity to set the record straight. You are free to fill us in all the legal intricacies you seem to think we can’t understand.

I'm not tucking my tail in between my legs and going away.

That’s exactly what you are doing. We are judging you as a person; you are not in court and hiding behind “my attorney told me not to say anything†is ridiculous. Your case is over, your charges have been dismissed. You are now being tried in the court of public opinion. Just like you do everyone else; how does it feel?

We have one side of the story. What the victim said he received and the fact that TBI traced it to you. Now let’s hear the other side first hand. Own it or deny it, but don’t hide behind the legal system you attack so often.

• Moderators

Drew, I just want to know one thing. Did it ever occur to you that Knoxnews knew what they were doing when they printed your letter? That they had already pulled you up and knew your history before they printed your letter? You do no help to the cause when you speak. I'm not saying you are a racist douchebag, but your actions at that time were racist douchebaggerness at their nadir. No matter how well thought out or eloquent your points are, they come from someone who sent a racist email to an elected official. That fact invalidates everything you said in the eyes of the majority of the population. Your continued refusal to own your own mess only serves to further evaporate any shred of credibility you hope to retain.

Drew, I just want to know one thing. Did it ever occur to you that Knoxnews knew what they were doing when they printed your letter? That they had already pulled you up and knew your history before they printed your letter? You do no help to the cause when you speak. I'm not saying you are a racist douchebag, but your actions at that time were racist douchebaggerness at their nadir. No matter how well thought out or eloquent your points are, they come from someone who sent a racist email to an elected official. That fact invalidates everything you said in the eyes of the majority of the population. Your continued refusal to own your own mess only serves to further evaporate any shred of credibility you hope to retain.

Nice angle. I bet they waded through hundreds of letters looking for one to publish.

Guest bkelm18

I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it is pretty safe to assume that they at least give a cursory look at any public info available on a potential author.

You'd be much better off by admitting your "douchebaggerness".

Apologizing for your transgression. Asking forgiveness.

And moving on.

Humans as a group are a forgiving lot. Even the councilman has forgiven your actions.

You seem to think you would not get the same treatment here.

The following questions are in no means a defense of the OP. Personally, I find the comments that were quoted in the article repugnant and show a serious lack of intellect. Nonetheless, how does writing an email to a council member containing racist remarks consititute civil rights intimidation? If the email contained threats of violence then I could see how it could be, but if it does not, I think the penalty is a huge overreach. A felony with a possibility of 12 years in prison and a $5,000 fine? Come on.

I have read the article several times and it does not mention any threatening remarks. If the original email did contain threats, then this article is a fine example of s****y journalism. The following quote is all we have to go on.

"Hey, n-----," the Email reads. "You really are a dumb dumb (*expletive*) n-----, piece of (*expletive*), you know that?"

Since the article mentions no specific threats, it stinks of more politically correct b.s.

I am sure everyone is going to disagree with me, but I believe that our freedom of speech right includes unpopular and even racist speech. Individuals have the right to be a$$holes, bigots, and even have the right to discriminate, assuming the discrimination does infringe upon anybody's rights. The last thing we should want is the government (local, state, or federal) policing language regardless how offensive it is.

Just to reiterate, I find such language that was used in the email entirely disagreeable, and would never use it myself. However, I do defend the right of an individual to use such language without fearing penalty from the government. The only thing I get from this entire situation is the revelation of a person's views with whom I do not wish to associate.

Guest Lester Weevils

Every embarrassment is a potential learning opportunity. Many mistakes seem like a good idea at the time. I don't appreciate hardly any person getting "ganged up on" and maximizing embarrassment. OTOH maybe it is a good thing ya'll are doing. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

The following questions are in no means a defense of the OP. Personally, I find the comments that were quoted in the article repugnant and show a serious lack of intellect. Nonetheless, how does writing an email to a council member containing racist remarks consititute civil rights intimidation? If the email contained threats of violence then I could see how it could be, but if it does not, I think the penalty is a huge overreach. A felony with a possibility of 12 years in prison and a $5,000 fine? Come on.

I have read the article several times and it does not mention any threatening remarks. If the original email did contain threats, then this article is a fine example of s****y journalism. The following quote is all we have to go on.

Watch the video, there was more to the email, they only highlighted that bit: City Councilman Undaunted By Racist Email - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

It was a disgusting display, to say the least. The fact that the person who wrote that ('anonymously', no less, because he didn't have the balls to sign his name to it) is now 'representing' gun owners in the Knoxville News is depressing.

Every embarrassment is a potential learning opportunity. Many mistakes seem like a good idea at the time. I don't appreciate hardly any person getting "ganged up on" and maximizing embarrassment. OTOH maybe it is a good thing ya'll are doing. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Maybe if he'd admit he wrote it instead of asking what 'the definition of 'is' is', so to speak, things would be different.

The fact that he starts this thread practically begging for praise but won't accept deserved criticism for writing racist emails to an elected official doesn't sit well with some folks (heck, he won't even admit he did it).

It's not about ganging up, it's about calling out the exact sort of behavior we don't need when we're trying to educate people about 2A.

I don't like it either Lester, and I do not think community pile-on is a good thing. I can't defend what was written, outside of the right to write it. The only good that I can see coming from this is it is a teachable moment. We all need to think carefully about what we write before hitting the send key. I also agree that all of us need to examine our own lives before sitting in judgement of others.

• Moderators
Maybe if he'd admit he wrote it instead of asking what 'the definition of 'is' is', so to speak, things would be different.

The fact that he starts this thread practically begging for praise but won't accept deserved criticism for writing racist emails to an elected official doesn't sit well with some folks (heck, he won't even admit he did it).

It's not about ganging up, it's about calling out the exact sort of behavior we don't need when we're trying to educate people about 2A.

This pretty much sums it up. He has every right to engage in all the racist douchebaggerness he wants to his heart's content. However, when he is speaking about the 2A in a public forum, his prior actions do speak to his credibility.

I'll be honest, I don't like racists. To me, bigotry speaks of willful ignorance and deficient intellect (you're an idiot and you mean to stay that way). If someone wants to wallow in that sort of substandard, subhuman existence, that is their right, but be a man and own up to it. If you are a bigot I don't have to like you, but at least there is a level of respect I can give you for being honest and forthright about who you are and what you stand for. If you attempt to hide behind technicalities and obfuscation, well then you get what you deserve.

Not sure if it would do any good, but id like to make a suggestion. Wyatt would you please PM TGO David and or one of the moderators and explain the full situation to them. The question alot of people are having is do you possess the type of characteristics we want representing us to the media. If not then its also likely that you dont possess the types of qualities expected of the members of this forum. I for one take you at your word whe you say youve learned from your past. I dont personally need to know about your past any more than i expect anyone to want to know about mine. For everyone doing it, stop attacking the man. Even if he did say it, its not my place to judge him or realistically any of yours. And wyatt great article regardless of fallout. If anyone is to judge his character it should be the people responsible for this forum, untill and unless that happens act like decent human beings and cut the man some slack.

Edited by c.a.willard
Watch the video, there was more to the email, they only highlighted that bit: City Councilman Undaunted By Racist Email - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Ah, didn't see the video. The text left out the "You've been warned." See, a fine piece of s****y journalism. The you've been warned comment does take the previous comments to another level. However, I still don't believe I would have persued a civil rights intimidation indictment against him, since as the video stated, "it is vague." I am also taking into consideration what the pastor said, that the motivations were related to the individual being a fan of the racetrack. Therefore, I am assuming that the language to the councilperson would have been harsh if it had been a different person.

As far as representing gun owners, I don't think he represents anyone but himself unless he was elected to some position of representation that I am unaware of. If people want to characterize gun owners based on this one individual, then that is the fault of those generalizing. There is nothing I can do about about people's bias towards certain things.