Carry Gun Size?

Guest killemducks

Guest killemducks

Ok. New to forum. Why do I "need" to get the smallest Kahr PM .40 to carry (after I get my permit) instead of the CW version? I guess you may have a few more options with the PM version? And you are paying a premium for the smaller gun?

I would think that carrying a little larger gun would be better because of control issues vs. the smaller gun. But the smaller gun would be easier to hide. And most of you seem to carry "not the smallest" gun out there.

I'm 6'3" and 200lbs. I haven't experimented with different methods yet. Suggestions would be appreciated before I blow a bunch of money on holsters....

I have a Glock23. How would you suggest I carry it?

Thanks!

Bill

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know about the Kahr but I do have a GLOCK 23 and 27 I carry. The 27 does well in a JIT slide by Don Hume and the 23 goes in a IWB by Hume also. I carry the 27 usually at the 4 o'clock positon and the IWB either 4 or set up as a cross draw especially when driving. Both are fairly comfortable and easy to draw from.

I also have a IWB for the 27 but like the slide best for it.

A good place to order from;

WWW.GUNNERSALLEY.COM

Guest Steelharp
Why do I "need" to get the smallest Kahr PM .40 to carry (after I get my permit) instead of the CW version?

That's BS. Carry the biggest thing you can carry comfortably and can conceal.

With your size a full size shouldn't be a problem. I carry a full size FNP-9, Hi-Power .40, and previously an XD-9 both IWB and OWB. I had a PF9 for the same reasons you mentioned, but found that with very few exceptions I could get away with my preferred full size guns. Plus I didn't practice much with the pocket guns. They just weren't much fun. I get a lot more use and enjoyment out of full sized guns.

Guest TNDixieGirl

When I physically, side-by-side compared the difference between the CW9 and the PM9, the size difference was so minimal I couldn't even begin to justify spending $300 more for the PM. Now I carry the CW every day, all day IWB.

Personally, I like something I can throw in my pocket and head out. Usually that is a J frame Smith or Keltec P9. At 6'-6", 325# I really can conceal just about any handgun I choose. I just like the simple way I guess.

I have a Glock23. How would you suggest I carry it?

Bill

Vewwy vewwy carefully :ugh:

No seriously,I carry an XD service,occasionally a KelTec,And very rarely a 1911 goverment.All three are different sizes and conceal differently,but they all conceal.IMO the size don't matter,you will find a way to carry it.

Btw.Welcome to tgo,and kudos to the name

Guest kdgreen23

A kahr is a great carry gun. I sold both glocks (23,27) and went to the Kahrs. I am a bigger guy and the kahrs in a don humme holster work perfectly. I have both the CW9 and the CW40. Flawless pistols with great

self defense accuracy. On saturday and Sunday I carry the M&P40 which

I love also. It just depends on my mood. Not to start the "22 is not enough" argument but I have even carried my Walther P22!!!!! Its just

all in what you like and are comfortable with. I have went through lots

of pistols over the past year. But for some reason I have stuck with

these. :ugh:

Guest darkstar

You can check out the Kahr website and it allows you to compare the various features of each model against each other thusly seeing why each costs more. I guess they market the CW series as a more entry level type of gun. I have a CW 45 and I think it's a pretty good firearm. For me I like the Bianchi 105 model holsters...they call it "minimalist with slots" out of all they different ones I have tried this particular model is the most comfortable for me, also for me it seems to keep the gun closer to my body, i.e. doesn't hang to the outside.

A really small .40 caliber would be a nightmare to shoot, imo. You always trade carry-ability for shootability. So figure out where your tolerances are. A Glock 23 in an IWB holster should actually carry/conceal just fine.

off topic: I actually know where Bells is. There is some major frozen vegetable processor there.

I have a glock 23,27 and Kahr PM9 and CW40, I carry the PM9 most all of the time in my pocket in a desantis nemesis holster, it is my bug for any of the other guns I choose to carry or sometimes it is the only gun I carry. I shoot all of my guns well enough for SD, I have a comptac minotaur on order for my CW40 to carry IWB.

Guest Centennial

Every carry gun is a compromise whether you are comparing cartridges, action type, capacity, barrel length, sights, weight, construction materials, or overall size. Only you can decide which compromise is the best choice for you. Asking questions like you are doing and handling / shooting a variety of suitable handguns will help with making an informed decision.

Guest canynracer

Go with the CW....my cw40 is very nice, and comfortable to carry, and easy to shoot..

plus, you get an extra 200.00 for ammo ^_^

Guest docvantrease2003

hey guys i carry a full size 1911 in a shoulder holster by calico just put on a extra large shirt even in summer time keep it un button

Guest flyfishtn
hey guys i carry a full size 1911 in a shoulder holster by calico just put on a extra large shirt even in summer time keep it un button

I assume you mean Galco, not calico like the Cat?

I assume you mean Galco, not calico like the Cat?

No.

He means that he carries a full sized 1911 *next to* his Calico, a 30 rd 9mm pistol that looks like a sub gun.

You do not want to mess with this man. He has put a knife through more ribs than any of you will care to think about.

Personally, I like something I can throw in my pocket and head out. Usually that is a J frame Smith

In my case add to the J frame a Seecamp 32, and a North American Arms 22 Mag.

Guest flyfishtn
No.

He means that he carries a full sized 1911 *next to* his Calico, a 30 rd 9mm pistol that looks like a sub gun.

You do not want to mess with this man. He has put a knife through more ribs than any of you will care to think about.

Got it. :)