First handgun in .40 S&W

Guest st33ve0

Guest st33ve0

I'm looking to make my first handgun purchase soon and I'm wanting something in .40 S&W. I've been looking at the Baby Eagle and the Springfield XD. Anyone got and suggestions or experience with either in .40?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkstar

A Sig would be a fine choice, I like the P229's. You can get a 357 sig barrel and change it out with the 40, it's like two guns in one. The 229 is a bit heftier than some but manageable (my opinion). You could check out a Glock (yeah yeah I know lets not have a huge debate and/or bitch session) in a model 22 (full size) or 23 (compact). The 40 cal is a snappy round so you may want to test fire something first if you can, you may not like firing that in a sub compact size. The 40's snappy recoil can make it harder to get back on target, but you can practice and learn how to deal with that.

As far as an XD, I don't like the way they feel in my hands though I think they are a good weapon. They just don't fit me well. Baby Eagles I know nothing about. Just try out as many as you can, you'll know you have yours when it feels good to you.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I like the XDs. But I haven't fired a Baby Eagle, so I can't really comment on it. In the end, it comes down to what feels good in your hands.

I have an XD Service .45 & a Baby Eagle in 9mm. Both are fine guns. XD is polymer, Eagle is steel. You won't go wrong with either. You will probably get better resale value on XD though. See what feels best to you. Try to rent both if you can. Never seen a Baby Eagle for rent anywhere though.

I prefer the Eagle because I am old and like metal frames better than plastic ones.

Really prefer S&W's revolvers,-prelock please! Might I suggest a short snout Model 66.

Guest st33ve0

I'll be honest, I like the feel of the XD and the Beagle, but the Beagle just feels perfect in my hand. I do like the all metal frame.

The reason I'm going with .40 is because 9mm is too light imho and I wanted something a bit smaller than .45 until I can afford a 1911

Of you're choices - XD by far. If you want another option, try a FN Hi-Power .40 S&W. Accuracy, price, what a 1911 wants to be! CDNN has them pretty cheap. I've got one and it is an unbelievably good shooting gun.

Here's a picture of mine.

IMG_1978.jpg

Edited by Smith
Guest DocShipley

I've got the Tarus copy of the PT100. I bought it as an affordable home defense weapon and have been really happy with it. I just had it at the range today. It shoots as good as anything else I have...:D

Guest 70below

The XD is fine pistol I'm sure, I really like the Beagles myself, it may be my next pistol in 9mm. I believe Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville has one for rent. I'm not sure if its 9mm or .40 Sounds to me like you're going in the right direction, get one in a caliber you know you'll want later, and save the .45 for a 1911. As far as .40 goes....I love my G22 and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I've put between 6-8K rds down the pipe and really have a feel for it. They sure break in nice!

Guest Darbley77

I say Xd 40 Subcompact. Great to carry and a blast to shoot. Mine is my first carry gun and I will continue to carry it for quite some time.

My daily carry is an XD in 9mm.With the right SD ammo theres nothing light about them. If your looking for a 1911 theres some options there in the same price range has the XD.Like the Rock Island,and the Taurus.I cant vouch for the RI but I do have a Taurus 1911.I paid 600ish for it like new which is about the price of a new XD with night sites

Guest st33ve0

At my local sportsman's warehouse I can get an XD in .40 for $490 or a Beagle in .40 for $470, just so everyone knows the price range for me ^_^

My question to anyone who's shot either is what's the trigger pull like? I've shot USPs and other composite bottom guns that have the really long light trigger pull with a click at the end hate that kind of trigger pull], I'd much prefer a smoother trigger pull like that of a 1911 and most other metal bodied firearms that I've fired.

Edited by st33ve0

There are advantages in a carry gun for a little longer and heavier trigger pull. But if you are going to use it as a plinker, you may want something lighter.

You really just need to play with both for a while. I went from a Glock to the XD, but felt less comfortable with it as time passed. But I've played with but never shot a baby eagle. It felt good in my hand. I personally would be more likely to go with the beagle these days.

Really, there are a number of decent handguns in that price range, particularly if you don't get in a hurry and look for a used gun.

I own both the XD SubCompact and Tactical in 40 and I love both of them. I carry the SC normally but carry the Tactical whenever I am hiking or hunting.

I used to have an RIA which was a very nice gun, but the 45 double stack was a little big for my hands, so I sold it and picked up a Taurus PT1911 SS .45. It is to pretty to carry in the woods. The taurus is leathly accurate, but I am just as accurate with the XD Tactical in 40.

For the XDs, if it is for home defense and range and you are looking for accuracy I would go for the tactical, if you plan on daily carry go for the subCompact and get a M-Tac holster.