I'm Gonna Love This Project

So I've gotten interested in combat shotgun of late. Being the ex-academic I got several books/vids to help me on my way.

The disagreements are funny.

So Ayoob, certainly an experienced and respected trainer, says never to carry at low ready (too easy to take away). Carry instead at high ready.

Awerbuck. equally respected, says never carry at high ready because it's too easy to take away. Always use low ready.

Ayoob says semi auto shotguns are much faster.

Awerbuck says not necessarily.

Ayoob says never use a sling, they tend to snag on furniture etc.

Awerbuck says always use a sling.

Ayoob says dont put a flashlight on the end of your shotgun because if you go through the house you'll find yourself pointing a loaded shotgun at your kids.

Awerbuck says always put a flashlight on the end of your shotgun because you have to see the threat.

One thing I am picking up is that shotguns stink for ECQB, which if you are going through your house is what it will be. Use a snub revolver instead.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest price g

I think this is a case of what works for you. I love shotguns, they just appeal to me. You will see a variety of configurations show up at our 3-gun match, and no one particular gun is any better than the next. The shot gun stages are my favorite, especially trying to shoot from the front seat of the chevy wagon.:)

I'd recommend a speedfeed IV stock, ghost ring sights and a sling. Skip the light and any other "tactical" add ons.

You should see what Yeager says about ghost ring sights. :)

What I find amusing is that there is no agreement on even basic questions. You don't find this in handguns. In general people agree on what works. There are some areas of disagreement but they are pretty narrow and well defined.

Partly I suspect this has to do with the fact that shotguns aren't used that often,not compared to handguns in urban/suburban settings and rifles in combat situations.

What I find amusing is that there is no agreement on even basic questions. You don't find this in handguns.

Rabbi, I'm certain we could find something to disagree on. :)

The boys in the sandbox are getting a real education on social shotgunning. You might investigate what they're ordering for the task...

Rabbi, I have been getting more into shotgun as well this year. I purchased this from "he who shall remain nameless" last year and did a little upgrading. It works very well! Remy 870 Police Magnum, Mesa Tactical Side Saddle and a Burris Fast Fire mini red dot.

Cheaper to shoot 50 slugs and/or 00 buck than a box of 20 .45 HP!

Original configuration

DSCF0006-1.jpg

With additions

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0355-1.jpg

Guest mikedwood

Maybe I'm out of place with this comment but if a BG sees your shot gun and tries to take it away you have a real crazy BG on your hands, and depending on your grip probably many pieces of him.

Rabbi you have a Marine Magnum that will probably be all the shotgun you will ever need. I do not see a need for a "combat" shotgun......a home defense shotgun(ala Marine Magnum) sure but if you see yourself going into combat you most likely are going to be needing a rifle.....AK preferably but even an AR would do in a pinch.:)

Rabbi you have a Marine Magnum that will probably be all the shotgun you will ever need. I do not see a need for a "combat" shotgun......a home defense shotgun(ala Marine Magnum) sure but if you see yourself going into combat you most likely are going to be needing a rifle.....AK preferably but even an AR would do in a pinch.:)

It's not "for me" per se. It's a project I'm doing on shotguns for the homeowner. It also helps me do my job better.

When I started I would have said the shotgun was the ideal HD weapon. I am far less convinced of that now. Between the ranges of about 20 feet and 50 yards, yes, the shotgun is supreme. But outside of those there are better choices.

About the only advice I give people on defensive shotguns is to get a full shoulder stock. Pistol grip and shoulder stock is great, but a shoulder stock is a must. Other than that... sights. A shotgun really needs to have sights on it. Ghost rings work fine for me with shotguns if they have a fairly large rear aperture. Personally... I prefer a red dot or even an EOTech because I almost always shoot with both eyes open.

The rest of the toys for shotguns (side-saddles, tac-lights, slings, etc) I consider optional and purely a matter of personal preference to me.

Guest bkelm18

From the home defense standpoint, a shotgun is a defensive weapon for hunkering down in your room waiting for the cops to arrive. However if you're going on the offensive and clearing your house, a handgun would probably be best. IMO.

From the home defense standpoint, a shotgun is a defensive weapon for hunkering down in your room waiting for the cops to arrive. However if you're going on the offensive and clearing your house, a handgun would probably be best. IMO.

+1

This is the best use of a HD shotgun, barricaded. I have a pistol by my bed with which to fight my way to my long guns... Once I have them, I'm staying put, and heaven help an intruder who opens the door which my wife and I are behind.

Guest canynracer

If the need arises, I will be clearing with a pistol, once I have rallied the kids into my room, well I second Dr. Strangelove's setiment about if they come into the room...

When I started I would have said the shotgun was the ideal HD weapon. I am far less convinced of that now.

That's my view. I kept a loaded shotgun handy for years and finally bought a "tactical" shotgun several years ago. After playing with it for a while and thinking the situation through, I sold the shotgun. There are still a couple of them handy, but they are regular old shotguns.

As barricade weapons, they are a good choice. Not so good for house clearing.

And over the years all of my firearms have lost the light mounted on them. I still have lights, but they are hand-held.

Keep us up on your research.

Guest strelcevina

shotgun is useful only for hunting birds, or skeet target shooting

anything else is people trying to make something out of nothing.

oh let me get a Gatlin mini gun its best for HD:D

Guest gsbell

I keep a 590A1 with a G9 mounted in the closet ready to rock, but the reality is my nightstand pistol and Z2 are far more likely to be used.

The best thing about a shotgun for Home Land Defence (hehe) is the racking of the shell itself. That is the biggest deterent for home invaders period. You hear the shell being racked and you know that very distinctive sound. Anyone else?

I seriously considered getting a special doorbell at one time that will record and play back whatever you want. What I had in mind was the ding-dong, a pause of a couple of seconds, and then the sound of a shotgun racking. I finally decided that the cost was too much for a joke. :D

Edited by Marswolf