P95 vs Sigma vs 2022?

NeveSSL

Guest bkelm18

The Sig 2022 is probably one of the best deals in handguns around. Excellent trigger and feels very nice in the hand. Easily worth more than what they cost. Only downside is that Sig is proud of their mags.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a general rule, I go into any gun shop or SG store with the attitude that the person behind the counter knows about as much about guns as I do about quantum physics, until he proves otherwise.

I have a friend who bought one of the 2022s for a CCW, and he found it too large and thick for IWB. It might be fine for OWB, however. I had a SW9VE that I carried IWB and OWB with no problems, and it has a reputation for reliability. The trigger takes some getting used to, but can be mastered with practice.

Guest bkelm18
As a general rule, I go into any gun shop or SG store with the attitude that the person behind the counter knows about as much about guns as I do about quantum physics, until he proves otherwise.

I have a friend who bought one of the 2022s for a CCW, and he found it too large and thick for IWB. It might be fine for OWB, however. I had a SW9VE that I carried IWB and OWB with no problems, and it has a reputation for reliability. The trigger takes some getting used to, but can be mastered with practice.

A 2022 is only .2" thicker than a Glock, and that is due to the controls on the side. I found that it carried superbly in a Supertuck holster.

Guest vthokies03

No one has said anything about the ruger, I didnt own the 95, but HAD a 94 (i think, it was a .40). It was my first pistol. It was okay, just heavy and bulky. I never carried it. I wouldnt want another one, because it will only sit in the safe.

A 2022 is only .2" thicker than a Glock, and that is due to the controls on the side. I found that it carried superbly in a Supertuck holster.

I carry my P226 IWB using a Supertuck and an Advance Holster (supertuck clone) and I have no problems with either. The controls pretty much just imprint into the leather backing on my holsters anyway.

The Sig 2022 is probably one of the best deals in handguns around. Excellent trigger and feels very nice in the hand. Easily worth more than what they cost. Only downside is that Sig is proud of their mags.

If you've got Patience, CDNN normally puts them on sale for $10 each every so often. I think as of late, they've been doing it about once every three months alternating between 9mm and .40

I have owned and shot all 3. A 9mm Sigma was my first handgun. Shot great with no problems, but the trigger sucked. I didn't realize the trigger sucked until I got my second pistol, a Ruger P95. Polished the sear on the Sigma which helped, but traded it later anyhow. I had a P2022 with Crimson Trace grips. Good shooter. I have owned 5 Sig pistols now, including a Scorpion 1911. I still say Sig Sauer is overpriced. P226 is a great shooter, but not $800 great. I am a die hard SA/DA fan. I love Berettas for that reason. The Ruger P series pistols have the decocker feature, and for that reason I say get the Ruger. That and they shoot really good. They are a bulky pistol, but if this isn't going to be your carry gun, it doesn't matter and you will score well with it during your permit test.

I have no experience with the other two guns but I do own a Ruger P95. In fact, I liked the first one so well (don't like carrying it because it was a gift) that I bought a second one to carry. I do not carry IWB as I hate that carry method - even my NAA mini is uncomfortable for me to try and IWB carry. I do sometimes carry the P95 OWB in a leather belt slide holster and it hides pretty easily under just an untucked shirt as a cover garment. My older one is a decocker-only model (I don't think they make those anymore) while the newer one has a decocker safety. I like DA/SA and carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber with the safety off. Yes, they are a little heavy but not unreasonably so and the weight makes firing 9mm a breeze, even +P. I'm still largely a revolver guy at heart but if I had to choose a semiauto as my one and only handgun it would be a Ruger P95, hands down.

I have owned and shot all 3. A 9mm Sigma was my first handgun. Shot great with no problems, but the trigger sucked. I didn't realize the trigger sucked until I got my second pistol, a Ruger P95. Polished the sear on the Sigma which helped, but traded it later anyhow. I had a P2022 with Crimson Trace grips. Good shooter. I have owned 5 Sig pistols now, including a Scorpion 1911. I still say Sig Sauer is overpriced. P226 is a great shooter, but not $800 great. I am a die hard SA/DA fan. I love Berettas for that reason. The Ruger P series pistols have the decocker feature, and for that reason I say get the Ruger. That and they shoot really good. They are a bulky pistol, but if this isn't going to be your carry gun, it doesn't matter and you will score well with it during your permit test.

I have to agree the 226 is a bit overpriced these days, lot of quality 9mm pistols out there for 1/2 the money that are as reliable and shoot just as well.

All three of the OP's choices will function well, all three have good warranty and service, but IMO the Sig is best looking - so thats why I say Sig :)

Just to clarify, I like Sig pistols alot. They are a fine firearm. I was trying to keep in mind the original request for advice on what is best for a starter for as cheap as possible. We all know you start with a $300 gun and then the addiction kicks in. And before you know it you have a safe full of guns you don't get to shoot half as much as you'd like and enough ammunition to feed a small revolution.

Just to clarify, I like Sig pistols alot. They are a fine firearm. I was trying to keep in mind the original request for advice on what is best for a starter for as cheap as possible. We all know you start with a $300 gun and then the addiction kicks in. And before you know it you have a safe full of guns you don't get to shoot half as much as you'd like and enough ammunition to feed a small revolution.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I have to agree, the Rugers shoot really good. I'd still go for the Sig, but that's just because I'm a gun snob now......

Another vote for the 2022. I have been considering putting mine up for sale since I picked up an XD 45. I'm about 4 hours away from you, but you can send me a PM if you may be interested. It has night sights, 10 and 15 rd mags, stainless guide rod, and I also have a supertuck I would let go with it.

I'd vote sig ... Thought about getting one cause there so cheap by my superise ... Haven't heard any issues with them ether ... But I think for an all metal frame and slide and cheap u can't beat a 5906 ... Used from cdnn I think they are running 3 and some change last time I looked

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thomas.allen12
However, it is $100 more than the others and only has one magazine with it.

Brandon

What is the store charging for the 2022....I am about to buy one and its the cheapest in the store here in Clarksville....

Sig hands down. I love my 40 cal.

I know I got to this party a bit late but if you are still looking for a local FFL to use go to Mike Patterson who owns The Saddle Shop in Triune. I've got a CZ heading his way now. He was $32.50 including the background check with my last purchase 2 months ago. Great folks out there!

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a 2022 off of gunbroker (osage beach dealer) for $360. I fired it for the first time yesterday and it is SWEET! I've never fired the Sigma, but the 2022 definitely beats my brother's two Rugers (SR & P95) 9's. This is my second Sig and I'm now and oficial Sig fan. I like my Steyr M40 better but that's comparing apples to oranges. Get one off of gunbroker and you won't be sorry!