Anyone still play D&D?

Caster

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you take us for to openly admit that we were dicechuckers or cardfloppers?

I started paying 2nd Ed. in the late 80s with my father. They played a lot of D&D in the Navy when they were on deployment it seems.

I started playing M:tG in the early to mid 90s around the time of Revised.

I quit playing D&D around 2001 or so, when 3rd Ed. was becoming big, the D20 system simplified it and allowed a lot of casual players in, which was nice, but for those of us that began with AD&D, it was hard to imagine the concept of actually rolling a character and playing a campaign in the same night. Blasphemy I tell you.

I quit playing M:tG around the same time, one of my brothers is still big into it, he took me to a tourney a few years ago and I got my ass handed to me by a nine year old.

I cried.

I quit playing D&D around 2001 or so, when 3rd Ed. was becoming big, the D20 system simplified it and allowed a lot of casual players in, which was nice, but for those of us that began with AD&D, it was hard to imagine the concept of actually rolling a character and playing a campaign in the same night. Blasphemy I tell you.

3rd edition is crap. Simplifying the rules for the unintelligent masses is crap. It's supposed to be difficult to understand, it keeps the community close to one another.

Wish someone here played, I can't bring myself to throw these out.

3rd edition is crap. Simplifying the rules for the unintelligent masses is crap. It's supposed to be difficult to understand, it keeps the community close to one another.

Wish someone here played, I can't bring myself to throw these out.

I have a copy of the AD&D Players Manual and DM guide. I tried getting my wife into it, but she never dug it. She loves WoW though.

Here is some useless trivia though, my daughter's middle name is Takhisis.

I still play when my son is home. I still have the Basic and Expert set in the box also!

Basic is still the best, simple and few rules, make it up as you go along.

2nd and third both sucked, and since Pirates of the Coast bought out Geneva, its all commercial, so ...

And it looks like you were a magic chucker, lameo LOL

I have a copy of the AD&D Players Manual and DM guide. I tried getting my wife into it, but she never dug it. She loves WoW though.

Here is some useless trivia though, my daughter's middle name is Takhisis.

Lets just hope she never becomes involved with a man named Raistlin.

Played back in HS, in the late 70's. Then stopped in the 80's. I've not played D&D since. I did get into Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, EverCrack (EverQuest) and Marrowwind: The Elder Scrolls III, on computer. My son picked up Skyrim on Xbox and I've started again. Only reason I'm not playing tonight is Tennessee is playing Miss St. on Basketball. That's the advantage of keeping your kids bedtimes early. You get to play on Xbox after they go to bed! :D

Guest lostpass

I quit playing D&D back in the very early 80's. Couldn't find anyone to game with.

On the bright side, I think it was D&D that convinced me I could draw. I redrew the cover of the Monster Manual and it seemed way better than the cover of the actual book. The book looked like this:

monster_manual.jpg

And my version, sadly lost to the ages, looked better. The sad thing was that the ability was the lie. I thought that since eI could draw better than that I could draw. It turns out that MM was full of awful art, it was like being better at shooting free throws than Shaq. You're better than a pro but you still suck.

Just what is that centaur planning to bash? The unicorn or the hovering red dragon who, judging by the facial expression, appears to be experiencing a surprise rectal exam from some invisible party? How can less than a foot of earth possibly support the weight of the centaur and unicorn?Are the troll and Owl bear having and watching TV or something? Is the tree taking some weird tentacled dump?

As I aged I went from admiring the art, to loathing the art, to really loving the art. I bought a copy of the original manual and I flip through it all the time. I love the drawings, love the descriptions of the monsters and love reliving the moments I spent playing that game. Oh crap, DEMOGORGON!

LOLZ!!! I started playing D&D when it was D&D. The original box set. Stopped, as many here it seems, when 3rd edition came out and sucked ass.

What I think would be fun to play these days, with this crowd, is a game that came out the same time as D&D called Top Secret. James Bond D&D basically, although based on 20 sides and percentiles. I still have the original version box set. Funny to think about it, but when I couldn't get anyone to play, I'd play by myself, and raided the black market shops in the secret alley in the box set module. My "Organization" had millions of dollars of firearms and other assorted things that go bang from these "raids."

Now, 30 years or so later, I'm actually compiling a collection of same, albeit a much more modest collection.

Also played Vampire, which is what we switched to when we stopped playing AD&D, that is an entertaining world as well.

never lived in my parents basement, so no, I have never played D&D. but i have watched all 6 Star Wars movies and owned 2 cats.....B)

I never realized living in my parents basement was a requirement for playing D&D... hmm... amazing, I played D&D and never lived in my parents basement.

Guest WyattEarp
I never realized living in my parents basement was a requirement for playing D&D... hmm... amazing, I played D&D and never lived in my parents basement.

i think your sarcasm detector might be broken. B)

Guest tommy62
never lived in my parents basement, so no, I have never played D&D. but i have watched all 6 Star Wars movies and owned 2 cats.....B)[/QUOT

Most became Mall Ninjas

Some folks never matured past the point of mocking what they don't understand.

:hat: Ah well. I used to day dream in class of a magical item similar to the BloodStone oF Fistandantilus that, instead of allowing the user to swap bodies with another human, would allow me to swap my 80lbs of glasses and acne with my character sheet. I wonder how much people would laugh and make fun of an 18th level black robe mage?

Back to the real world, paper & die based RPG's will forever be the target of those who lack the understanding. It's the price player pay for being a part of something so enriching.

Metal head, I wanna say that video is so wrong....but it do trigger some flashbacks.....LOL!

Edited by Caster
Guest WyattEarp
Some folks never matured past the point of mocking what they don't understand.

Lol, i was always stuck on half life and rainbow 6 and all the sequels. :).

The dungeons, dragons, kings, queens, knights, squires and wizard stuff never did it for me for some reason, just find that era completely boring, although I for whatever reason have soft spots for zelda, and the movies Braveheart and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. The only medeival period stuff I actually enjoy.