Gobble Gobble

Only about 10 weeks till Turkey Season!!!! It's time to get those calls out and start annoying your wives. :D Also time to pattern those shotguns. If anyone wants to volunteer to pattern my gun with those shoulder breaking loads, I'm more than happy to meet you at the range.

We got all our fields bushhogged and getting ready to start busting ground for food plots. Now that the fields are mowed, we are seeing alot of turkeys.

I say this every year, so here goes....

I HATE TURKEYS!

Edited by wd-40
We got all our fields bushogged and getting ready to start busting ground for food plots. Now that the fields are mowed, we are seeing alot of turkeys.

I say this every year, so here goes....

I HATE TURKEYS!

Sounds like you need some of the guys from here to come up there and thin them out a bit???

Just a heads up, start looking for your favorite turkey loads now. If you wait till March, lots of places will be sold out.

I'll be shooting Hevi Shot 13 3.5" #7's. I tried the magnum blends last year, but they didn't pattern as well as the straight 7's.

101, I have a 835 and I love it. I put a "Tru-Glo" Extra Long Range Turkey Choke on it. I don't hunt "Dirt Scratchers" anymore, but it works aweful good with BB's and "T" shot on Coyotes.

I have decided that I occasionally sound like a "turkey in distress" when I am calling. I have killed quite a few sneaky coyotes creeping in on me while turkey hunting. Even had one about 20 years ago put some tooth marks on my decoy at LBL while I was evidently quietly napping. I awoke to a very startled song dog movin out at a high rate of speed (he got away) so I repositioned my decoy and went back to sleep. #4's work pretty good too.

the wife saw a "herd" of them last week, probably 100+ birds. never seen that many at one spot

This time of year they are grouped up into huge flocks. Last year in early March we had a flock of over 200 visiting our lease. By opening weekend for the youth hunt, they had busted into smaller groups of 30 or so birds. By mid April they were down to 10-15 bird groups.

• 5 weeks later...

Figured I give this a bump since it's almost turkey time!

Glad you did. I'm looking forward to the season. I have been watching a flock of 80-100 birds across the road from my hunting lease, and found some sign on the lease.

I will be using either 870 with 3.5" #4's or 1100 with 3" #5