any quitters here?

Guest RISC777

Been quit only since 5/19/09. Laying in hospital bed after an emergency appendectomy made it easy. Hobbled down from third floor, took a draw, tasted like utter crap. Just a mental choice now to not pick one up when stressed at work. Wife wished it was as easy for her, but she's down to a 4 a day average. Amazing how much taste has come back and breathing has cleared up, especially the sinuses. Money saved? Ridiculous when I did some figuring on a calculator!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swamprunner

Mike, gave 'em up so long ago, I can't remember. I can still smoke one bigger than a phone pole at times, though.

Heck, don't give up. You have too much to lose, and I'm not talkin' money.

Guest clsutton21

If it's mainly a habit thing...or even a problem of getting the nicotine slowly out of your system, try something like this. Electronic Cigarette by Blu E-Cigarette You can order your cannisters is any amount of nicotine you want from regular down to none. There are also different flavours, on top of all that you still get the sensation of a drag and having something in your hand then between your lips.

Guest walkingdeadman
thanks for all the encouragment. I will consider it a major failure in life if I do not kick this stuff.

Tobacco ought to be illegal.

+1....smoking is for people who want an early death

Guest mosinon

I quit smoking a thousand times and started back a thousand and one. Except for the last time. It seems to have stuck pretty well with the chantix but you need a prescription.

I even had to try the chantix three or four times.

On the bright side my blood pressure went way down and I'm saving about ten bucks a day.

Guest pontiac_fiero_g

i quit dipping about three weeks ago. stayed quit about a week and a half using those lifesaver mints every time i wanted a dip just to keep my mouth busy and then for some reason went out and bought another can and found that it make me sick to my stomach everytime i dipped but started back anyhow. i just cant kick the habit. im on welbutrin sr which contains the same ingredients as chantix but it doesnt help.

Guest mosinon

welbutrin is the same as zyban which I tried back in the day. It's an antidepressant. I didn't work at all for me, I might not have as depressed but I sure still smoked a lot.

Chantix works differently (check wikipedia for more) but it screws with the nicotine receptors so even if you cheat the smoke taste like hell and you don't get anything out of it. I don't know how well it works for smokeless tobacco but, after three or four tries, it seems to be working for me.

But now that you mention it, I really miss smoking and taking zyban. Those were the days, and felt realy good and I puffed away like crazy!

Guest pontiac_fiero_g
welbutrin is the same as zyban which I tried back in the day. It's an antidepressant. I didn't work at all for me, I might not have as depressed but I sure still smoked a lot.

Chantix works differently (check wikipedia for more) but it screws with the nicotine receptors so even if you cheat the smoke taste like hell and you don't get anything out of it. I don't know how well it works for smokeless tobacco but, after three or four tries, it seems to be working for me.

But now that you mention it, I really miss smoking and taking zyban. Those were the days, and felt realy good and I puffed away like crazy!

it actually tells me in the paper i get with it at the pharmacy that it contains the same medications as chantix and not to take them at the same time

Guest duckdog38

you can do it Mike. I used to smoke 2 packs a day but quit after 20+ years and after two years i dont even crave them any more. I will pray for your success and your wifes too.

oh yeah, you definately shouldn't take chantix and wellbutrin at the same time. thsoe things mess with brain chemistry after all.

But, owing to my obsession with tobacco and proximity to a pharmacist, I'll confidently say that they aren't the same drug.

Here's the mechanism of action for wellbutrin:

"Bupropion is chemically related to sympathomimetic drugs and unrelated to other antidepressants. It blocks reuptake of noradrenaline and dopamine, but the mechanism for its clinical effects is unknown."

and the mechanism of action for chantix:

ACTION 1: AGONIST EFFECT

CHANTIX binds to, and partially stimulates, the receptor without creating a full nicotine effect on the release of dopamine.

ACTION 2: ANTAGONIST EFFECT

Because CHANTIX competitively binds to α4β2 receptors, it blocks the ability of nicotine to stimulate the central nervous mesolimbic dopamine system, believed to be the neuronal mechanism underlying reinforcement and reward experienced upon smoking.

Which is still pretty similar. You can check out the wikipedia page on Bupropion (wellbutrin) at Bupropion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and you can check out the page on varenicline (chantix) at Varenicline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

None of that really matters, the more important thing is to realize that just because wellbutrin isn't working doesn't mean that chantix won't. I've had the best luck with chantix but everyone is different and all.

Things I've had no luck with:

cold turkey (coudn't keep it lit, even the high end smoked stuff)

Gum

Patches

wellbutrin

those crappy electric cigs they sell in the mall

Great success with:

skoal bandits but, well, not really a tobacco free solution

so far so good:

chantix

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Been quit for over 10 years. Cold turkey is the way to go. You must be mentally prepared and you must want to do it. You are in control.

Absolutely correct. I quit in 1985 after a pack and a half a day habit for 15 years. Finally came to the realization that it was going to kill me eventually, and after hearing my dad describe how my grandpa died due to emphysema, I finally, after several half-hearted tries, put them down for good. Cold turkey with no help from a patch or anything else.

Many people don't want to hear it, but it is nothing more than a decision. If you aren't completely committed to quitting, you'll be back on the cancer sticks within a few days.

Was it easy? Not in the least.

Was it worth it? Absolutely.

If you get to about 3 weeks with no cigarettes, you might get it in your mind you're "cured" and just one won't hurt you. And you'll be right back where you started.

I quit in 1980. Wasn't easy, and expect to gain some weight. Start working out and some form of aerobic exercise if you aren't already doing it.