Hey, 1911 guys!! Phony?

Steelharp

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dubaholic2

"Up for trade is a rare and beautiful pristine Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911A1 pistol used in Vietnam. Bright blue finish. This gun is rare and collectible as it is 100% hand fitted American Made with no MIM parts. I am just looking to make room in my safe and looking for a carry gun for my wife.

This rare gun is worth well over $1,000 so please do not send insulting or uninformed low ball offers. Serious traders are welcome to shoot the pistol if they so choose."

The description says it blued, but it looks stainless to me. His camera must have one HELLUVA flash.

1911.jpg

Edited by dubaholic2
Guest NashvegasMatt

Bright blue....no. It's a real 1911, but '65... :). Also, rubber grips in '65? And no MIM parts, but he's somehow selling it for $1k? This sounds like a sham. the non-mim parts would be over $1k. I don't remember the military sending 1911's to the lines in a bright perky finish like that.

Edited by NashvegasMatt

I could be wrong but I do not believe the bullet as part of the insignia came about until the 80's or 90's. The finish is definitely not blue and is some sort of chrome.

I would try to catch him in a lie with "Are those the original Vietnam grips?"

I too call BS on the gun being a Vietnam era gun. I also call BS on the $1,000 value.

He is going to find a sucker though.

Dolomite

Auto-Ordnance started making replicas of the 1911a1 in the 80’s. They were Spanish imported junk. Kahr bought them in 99 and word was they had straightened some problems out, but they are still low end 1911’s ($500 new).

However, they have vertical slide serrations and no “Thompson Logoâ€. If you look at the AO 1911TC it has the Thompson Logo and angled serrations, but the pitch is much wider than the one shown in that picture.

So who knows.

FWIW, I got one of the blued versions of this gun with the bullet markings several years ago from a customer on my route that was behind in his bill. I took it for payment. Was in excellent shape. Replaced the springs and it works fine. Gave it to my father-in-law to go with his Thompson.

My father in law was in the Nam and very seldom did soldiers carry 1911's, they were being phased out and that was '69 according to him. He worked aerial surveillance (all I can say) and usually the Deltas had the 1911. I could be way off but he isn't a story teller. Something does not seem right about this 1911. I also believe Colt was the primary supplier at the time to the military.

Edited by k9wh91984

I do not think it is what he says it is. But that could just as easily be ignorance as scam. Ive had gun dealers that I trust make some rather silly statements a time or 2 about a used gun that they did not research too deeply, it happens.

Whatever it is, its not easy to backtrack with just the web, probably need an expert or some books to unravel exactly what it is.

I remember stories from old Vietnam era SF vets who worked closely with CIA guys during the war. They didn't talk very highly of them... the stories I heard were dismissive "young guys in over their head" type stories, but I remember one story in which the old guy made mention of "carrying around his shiny pistol like he was a cowboy" or something to that effect. Somehow I doubt this is one of those pistols.