SKS - what to watch out for

What are the basic rules of thumb when evaluating SKS's? I guess Russian Tula's are the best, but what about other arsenals and countries? How do both quality and fair prices vary?

I guess in addition to a mosin and a .223 I'm not sure adding another caliber makes the most sense, but it might be fun to play with. So I've been keeping my eye out.

Thanks

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a collector's piece look for matching serial numbers. Russian Izzy's are the best! Not really but slightly more rare.

I have a Russian Izzy $300 and a Norinco (Chinese) $199 fit/finish is better on the Russian, but they both shoot the same. Never had a misfire or malfunction out of either one.

Most the aftermarket SKS stuff is garbage esp high cap mags. Tapco 20 rnds have a good rep but never tried them. Tech sights are nice. Buy lots of stripper clips and wolf and live happily ever after.

buddy bought a Norinco early model, way good machine work. not your normal recoil spring, also came bubbaed, with plastic stock. shoots like a dream. 229.51 out the door. actually...might not be Norinco. it's Chinese factory 26 but I don't remember any norinco marks.Oh...saw a chinese paratrooper with real ak mags in a pawnshop in Clinton. 399. plus plus.

Edited by bajabuc
bad memory.
I like Yugo's but that's just me.

My only advice is to avoid any that have some kind of magazine conversion done.

You've made me curious. I got a plastic 30 round mag for my Yugo. I just popped the original metal mag out, snap the trigger back in and the 30 rounder just snaps in. It works great but required no actual modification. It takes about a minute to pop the original mag back in. I'm guessing you're speaking of a mag that requires actual modification to the rifle to use.

There are a couple of minor problems I've noticed when using the 30 round mag. I can go through 100 rounds of ammo in no time and it takes a while for the barrel to cool off. :D

Are AK receivers machined or are they stamped and welded together?

leroy

ak's are stamped and welded. a vz58 has a milled reciever and shoots the 7.62x39. price are cheaper than the stamped juns and it is made better. 26 is the number for norinco.

The original AK design used a milled reciever. Modern varients are stamped and riveted.

Something else to look out for on an SKS. The rear of the bolt. It shouldn't be beat up or rounded off. It headspaces against a Square pin that is driven into the receiver. You can actually tighten up the headspace on a worn rifle by driving out the pin and turning it 90 degrees. In theory you have four facets to the pin therefore that's three times you can turn it.

Break down the gun and check these points of contact if it's feasible to do so. If not, it needs to be on your inspection list before firing.

East German, Vietnam capture (with papers), Russian parade model (with papers), and Albanian are the most sought after ones that you'll find with some slight degree of regularity. More on the oddball side, you've got the select fire SKS, and the Chinese 5.56 caliber SKS. Again, these are oddballs.

Of the stuff that's common out there, the Russians are easily the "best" mass produced ones. As others have said, matching numbers and condition of the rifle are the biggest things. I've owned quite a few SKS and at one point had quite a varied collection. Please feel free to ask away if you have specific questions.

As stated, the SKS is generally best in it's original configuration. Leave the tacti-cool stuff for your AR. Numbers matching Russian variants bring the highest prices. Yugos look the coolest. ;)

AK magazine conversions... some work, and some don't. Only one way to find out. Unless you happen across an SKS-M.

The triggers are single stage and typically have lots of creep for an extra margin of safety. Cock it, and bang the butt stock on the ground a few times. If the hammer falls, that's bad. Fixable, but bad.

Check the bolt for obvious wear and make sure the firing pin moves freely (it floats, not spring loaded). If the firing pin is sticky, a slam-fire condition can result. Again, bad but fixable.

Check the bore and chamber for corrosion. Some are chrome lined, some not. Corrosive surplus ammo is going away, but still out there.

And one last thing... especially watch out for people who call it a "baby AK".

SKS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On many SKS', corrosive ammo has been used. Check the gas system to make sure it isn't corroded. Some are chromed, and are less likely to have corrosion. But Yugo's are notorious for having corroded gas pistons. Don't mistake filthy dirty for corroded. I can't tell you how many SKS' I've seen that appear to have never been cleaned, but are working fine.

I really like Yugo's. They are built like a tank and have that cool looking grenade launcher on the end that serves no useful purpose other than mounting a golf ball launcher. The 59/66A1 also has some flip up "night sights" of dubious use, they basically have some type of bright, flourescent dots.

One downside that many point out is the lack of a chrome-lined barrel. I've neve had an issue with that and have fired tons of corrosive ammo through mine. It is still clean and very accurate.

Oh, and they are still the cheapest SKS's you can buy.

One thing I did with the last Yugo I had was put that grenade launcher to better use. I took the barrel off, set it up in the lathe and bored the launcher open just a hair. Then in each of the exterior grooves, I drilled evenly spaced holes. A little de-burring and viola, the perfect muzzle brake. It worked very well BTW.

My Yugo has the launcher with several holes. There were at least two different kinds used, one with holes, one without.

Correct. There were three kinds... the M59 (no launcher), M59/66 (with launcher) and M59/66A1 (with launcher and night sights)

The standard M59 without launcher was the most desirable one from a collector's standpoint. The good ones came out early and the remaining ones had significantly worse stocks.

Correct. There were three kinds... the M59 (no launcher), M59/66 (with launcher) and M59/66A1 (with launcher and night sights)

The standard M59 without launcher was the most desirable one from a collector's standpoint. The good ones came out early and the remaining ones had significantly worse stocks.

There were indeed three distinct models produced. There were also three types of grenade launchers used. :tinfoil:

George Stragand - Varieties of Yugoslavian SKS Grenade Launchers

I just learned something. I have a 59/66A1... mine has the flip up white dot sights, though I'd hardly classify them as "fluorescent". I assumed they all had that. I believe it has a non-ported grenade launcher, but I'll have to check to verify.

The comment about rifles that appear to have never been cleaned and working fine.... mine would be one of those. I wipe the easily reached crud out of it, and that's about it.

What do the numbers such as 0148, 306, 26, etc. mean? I had a guy contact me with these for sale. All he said was I have these..... and the numbers. Looked online but didn't make much sense of it.

Still really don't want to get something in another cabilber, but these seem fun to play with. But I don't want another caliber (did I say that already?) so please feel free to talk me out of it. hahaha

Thanks!

What do the numbers such as 0148, 306, 26, etc. mean? I had a guy contact me with these for sale. All he said was I have these..... and the numbers. Looked online but didn't make much sense of it.

In what context? Where are these numbers?

In what context? Where are these numbers?

My question exactly. Those are the varients / versions of SKS the guy has for sale, according to his email. I was trying to figure it out before I responded, but I guess I had better ask. I didn't find anything that made sense online.

Thanks.

I just learned something. I have a 59/66A1... mine has the flip up white dot sights,

Me too. I got a great deal on my Yugo, this makes it even better. A couple of drops of glow-in-the-dark paint will make those night-sights for real!

Edited by bentonbjones