Breakfast classics from your childhood

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up on a small farm so we had all the regular stuff fresh milk,eggs,pork and gravy, etc. no pig brains. Funny I remember the real treat was french toast. I guess I didn't realize what was really good at the time. Do remember picking out crappy cereal to get the best toy and you had to eat it like it or not.

Yes!

Guest MoonMan

In our house momma couldn't cook breakfast worth a dern. However since I was a kid aunt Betty made me biscuit and gravy. Allot of times the hog would come from one of her inlaws. She made the best homemade biscuits and I wish I would have gotten down the way she did it. I can remember the smells on the kitchen to this day.

Ah, good post and down memory lane. Wasn't it great to be a kid, no responsibilities, door seldom locked, milk delivered in glass bottles to your door! Speaking of milk, I remember how tasty is was in the neat shaped glass bottles, and a bottle of choclate milk was a God send. Of course I'm talking about being raised in the 1950's.

My favorite breakfast was poached eggs (with egg yoak still runny) with a dab of real butter. You know, I've never had a poached egg since I was a kid growing up? I don't know if they still make it but, I use to really like Malt O-Meal also with a big glass of Oveltine. Of course I liked the boxed cereal, mainly because most boxes at that time contained a toy or some sort of secret decoder ring. Man, would I like to go back in time to those days.

My mother loved fried liver and onions. On occassion she would make it for her. I remember playing hard all day and coming home to the smell of that liver & onions frying. How wonderful it smelled! Believe me, I still remember my first taste of that liver as a young child. My mother continued to coax me to try it again for many years. To this day, I can not even bait a catfish hook with liver, least I get the shakes.

You can't get anything by me... Evidently it was thought at that time, a liver product had some sort of vitimine or mineral a kid needed. So, I was introduced to something called a "Brownswagger Sandwich"? At six years old, as soon as my toungue sent the message to my brain that it was liver, suffice it to say it was not swallowed. My mother didn't appreciate where it all ended up. I can't tell you how many times I've been told, it doesn't taste like liver, try it... Bull-Liver...

Shall we talk about "child abuse"? In my childhood when you became sick, or played sick to take the day off school, it's Vicks Vapor Rub time! Most of you probably don't remember Vicks Vapor Rub but, it was a smelly greasy air-a-matic distraction to a good fart. It was rubbed on my neck, chest and upper lip, and a "baby diaper" was wrapped around my neck to keep it in. How gross! I won't even mention the Vick's inhailer.

When I got the mumps and chicken pox, guess what, Vicks Vapor Rub time... That quickly learned me not to fake being ill to take off school.

And speaking of school... I remember how tasty the school lunches were. My father worked hard but we were in this day and age called lower middle class. I had to take my lunch to school for the most part. Bologne sandwich, a snack and a glass thermos of milk for the most part. On those occassions I could afford it cashing in soda bottles, etc., I'd eat the school food. Wonderful... If memory serves after all these years, the school lunch was 25 cents and a milk was 2 cents. Oh, the good ole days.

Purple turtles, candy neckleces, wax soda bottle candy, Bazzoka bubble gum, baseball cards with that big chew inside, 5 cent chocolate sode, candy cigarretts, the local cobbler, mail delivery twice a day, coal furnaces, air polution and fog from the coal furnaces, doctors making house calls, interstates just becoming to exist, breaking the sound barrier for the first time, etc., etc.

OP, you got me going on the old days. I really didn't think I would ever get to the point in my life I would be talking about the old days. Time has passed by at the speed of light and going faster everyday. Good post.

And I forgot how good you kids have it today. In the mid fifties I remember getting our first black and white TV set delivered. It was delivered the day after my only sister was born so, how's that for documentation? It was a free standing RCA unit with tubes and everything.

I remember having a whole three channels, 2-4- and five. Saturday mornings was the best day, Heckle & Jeckle, Woody Woodpecker and I think Mighty Mouse? I remember the TV broadcast ending on all channels at 1:00 A.M. and that test pattern Indian image. I remember having to constantly adjust the verticle and horizontal controls to get the picture from flipping until the TV warmed up some. I remember having to adjust the rabbit ears to get the best reception. I remember the good ole days!

I remember how excited my mother was getting an automatic washer. I remember the washer that had the wooden squeeze things with the handle to squeeze out the water. I remember listing to many programs on the radio in the basement while mom did the laundry, before we had TV. The Lone Ranger as an example.

Most of all, I remember going to the dentist. The pain and burning smell and smoke out of your mouth was terrible! Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't remember getting anything like novocain. I remember my worst arguements with my mom was about going to the dentist in the 50"s.

Can you imagine what it was like a century or more ago when you had multiple tooth aches? I tried pulling out my own toothache once a long time ago, it was even loose, and I couldn't get it out. I'll bet tooth infection was a major cause of premature death for our ancestors.

How many people back in the day brushed their teeth? I don't think the tooth brush was invented until about 1850. Can you imagine a face to face talk or other with your spouse before a tooth brush and mouth wash? No honey, let's not French Kiss! :(

Well guys, so much for breakfast...

And I forgot how good you kids have it today. In the mid fifties I remember getting our first black and white TV set delivered. It was delivered the day after my only sister was born so, how's that for documentation? It was a free standing RCA unit with tubes and everything . . . . . . .

Yeah, but what did you have for breakfast? :(

Mostly cereal M-F. On the weekend it was either McDonald's pancakes or Burger King's sausage biscuit. Now, I have the most boring diet. Breakfast is always Frosted Mini Wheats with no milk (I haven't drunk any milk in almost 13 years) and 20 oz. of OJ.

Edited by mav

I always enjoyed freshly cooked mush, prepared with a bit of animal broth. Top it with real butter and a splash of sugar or maple syrup. The leftover was put in bread pans and it congealed to be sliced and fried another day...MMMMMM, Gooooooood. And then there was what is close to military SOS. Ground beef in white gravy on toast. Very seldom got it but I do like brains. Guess my favorite breakfast now is fish and eggs.

Side note FWIW: It is a wonder any of us old timers are still around. My dad ate what he wanted all his 84 years. His last day he had prepared scrabble for my breakfast as he knew I was coming up to see him. We never got to eat it.

oldogy

Guest lostpass

Breakfast? As in eating? No way, we got a smack across the mouth from Dad and we were thankful. If we could beg a turnip top off old man jenkins we were in heaven.

Actually, I think I didn't eat much breakfast. I'd see some ad about how great Super Smarmy Glucose Globs were and beg my mom to buy it. She would. Then it would be sucky and I'd just pretend to eat it. Even worse were the repurposed cereals. You know: there was a popular movie or show and suddenly there was a cereal that tied in. It would be called He Man's Nut Crunch or Go Joes! GI JOES insanely High Fiber Cereal!

Anyway you'd buy the stuff and it would just be generic cereal in slightly different shapes. Always a letdown. I think Mr. T cereal was alpha bits (never copy a crappy cereal if you're making a gimmick cereal) and WWF allstars was cheerios or something.

Breakfast? As in eating? No way, we got a smack across the mouth from Dad and we were thankful. If we could beg a turnip top off old man jenkins we were in heaven.

Actually, I think I didn't eat much breakfast. I'd see some ad about how great Super Smarmy Glucose Globs were and beg my mom to buy it. She would. Then it would be sucky and I'd just pretend to eat it. Even worse were the repurposed cereals. You know: there was a popular movie or show and suddenly there was a cereal that tied in. It would be called He Man's Nut Crunch or Go Joes! GI JOES insanely High Fiber Cereal!

Anyway you'd buy the stuff and it would just be generic cereal in slightly different shapes. Always a letdown. I think Mr. T cereal was alpha bits (never copy a crappy cereal if you're making a gimmick cereal) and WWF allstars was cheerios or something.

Heh heh......He mans nut crunch.......sounds like a wrestling move 😃

Guest boatme99

On Sundays, if he was home, my father liked to get up and make breakfast. Either a frittata in a cast iron skillet, crepes stuffed with cottage cheese, sour cream, and pineapple jam, or Gasthouse eggs - a slice of bread with a hole in the middle, lay in a skillet and break an egg into the hole. And always with bacon or sausage or a thick slab of ham.

Guest AmericanWorkMule
we were poor, had dried peas for breakfast, glass of water for dinner(lunch) and let them swell up for supper....

We used to live in an old rusted out car in a junk yard.

We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting trash dumped all over us!

We didn't have a rolled up newspaper or a cracked cup to drink out of.

The best we had was to pass around an old oil rag dipped in the mud to suck on.

And we were glad to have it!

If you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
I've construed and paraphrased what I've heard over the years from Monty Python and Bill Cosby