Glock vs 1911!

Sandman

johnnyfox,

Uhmm, now you have me thinkin. How many of us would want to add a good .22 LR rifle to the mix?

As for the pistols, the Glock would have my vote. Although I have a G27, I have a 9mm conversion barrel due to the fact that 9mm ammo is everywhere and 9mm would probably get the nod as most available "SHTF" ammo. So, what would everyone choose as a .22 ?

I too have had both a Glock and a 1911. I love how a 1911 feels, shoots and looks but for personal defense the choice without hesitation would be Glock. No manual safeties, no cocked and locked, torture tested reliability, readily available high cap mags and simple tear down just to give you a few reasons. Bullet chambered, ready to fire and in a high stress situation the simplest gun is my choice.

I would take whatever I could get my hands on, but given a choice it would be a 1911. The simple reason is parts and magazine availability and known ultra long term reliability. As someone said earlier, you won't be able to order anything so you would have to pick up whatever parts/magazines you can find. There are, without question, many, many times more 1911s out there than there are Glocks. And I know for a fact that there are plenty of 100 year old 1911s out there that will still shoot to this day. Annecdotely, I ran into a guy at the range a while back that was shooting a pre-WWII 1911, with pre-WWII magazines with the ORIGINAL springs, and the only problem he had was that the slide wouldn't lock open after the last shot(no surprise there). I KNOW a 1911 will run even when it's been neglected for 6+ decades. I don't know that about Glocks.

In a SHTF or a guerilla war situation, you take what you can get and for any scratch-gathered group, you're going to get mix and match. Any pistol is better than no pistol at all. In guerilla war, a pistol is good for getting a better gun, through ambush of military forces or whatever. I imagine, that as you build the size of your force and have to train and equip them, you'd go with the lowest common denominator, or whatever you can get the most of, what you can get the ammunition for, what is the easiest to field repair, the easiest to train up.

Guest Bassman17SC

1911 all the way! But also my Sig P220 and P226. Oh, and my Remington 870. I guess I better find a rifle!

Why would anyone want a pistol that requires pulling the trigger for disassembly? LOTS of NGUs in that area.

Only a partial highjack of the thread, but I went shooting with some friends this weekend and shot several different weapons, among them, a well used Kimber Officer size pistol. It was the first time I'd shot a 1911 and I enjoyed it immensely. The Kimber is a great shooter and a different experience from shooting a Glock. I enjoyed them both, just like a hungry man would enjoy beef and pork. Can't and won't say one is better than the other, and I stick with my original assertation that in THIS circumstance presented by the OP, I'd choose Glock, but I have to say I truly enjoyed shooting that Kimber.

• 3 weeks later...

My former Army buddy, former big city cop and now FBI major crimes and gang and FBI SWAT buddy told me a couple of days ago that he is dumping his SA Pros and going to back to Glock 22 and 27, even though he despises .40 S&W. He said that the 1911s won't hold up to the volume of fire he finds necessary to be in top form. He has reservations about the .40 Glock, but he will run his Glocks hard to determine reliability. I don't know what the means for most of us who when lucky shoot a few hundre or a thousand or two every month or two. I like glock cause it is comparatively inexpensive, light weight, reliable & durable, lends itself to grip mods and has a mountain of aftermarket.

Edited by graycrait

So I have a question and would like your input. I don't want this to turn into a war.

I just finished reading the books "patriots" and thought about how they prepared. If you read it then you know that the group had specific gear to buy before the collapse. The guns they group chose were:

Colt 1911

Remington 870

AR-15

HK-91

I think the AR-15 and Remy were good choices. The HK, at least now, wouldn't be a choice due to price and availability. So while reading, I was thinking...why would they choose a 1911 over a Glock? I love 1911's and have some. I love Glocks and have some. I figured if you were trying to determine an across the board gun, I would favor a Glock due to less parts for the gun, parts availability, and just overall ease of use/fixing.

To me, 1911's are a little harder to "tinker" with. Thoughts?

I too agree with you . I have a 1911 and a Glock. I wholey agree that the Glock is better due to less parts and also the rust resistance. My Glock 34 is the same size as 1911 and holds more tan twice the ammo. On a side note I would have chose an AK47 instead of the AR15 . I just dont like how the AR15 let gas blow through it's action and all.

Guest RCLARK

Most 1911's (including mine) are part range gun and part fashion statement. I love to shoot it. It's reliable. I would trust it to defend my life in any situation......but the idea of getting it dirty or scratched or not being able to keep it safe in its padded bag is unthinkable. For that reason (among a lot of the others that have been pointed out)..I will take my Glock into the apocalypse. Toss it in the floor of the truck and kick it around with the empty soda cans for a couple of months and it looks just as "pretty" as it did the day you bought it. If I ever find a 1911 ugly enough that I don't care to abuse it if necessary I might change my mind. [smile]

I now own 3 glocks my self and the wife has 2 of her own. i also own a springfield 1911 and not a bad gun but i have to say ill stick to my glocks! can a 1911 with stand a any continental element you throw at it?

If this is the primary consideration in choosing a pistol, the 1911 and M9 would be my choices.

Hmmm, I like this James fella. Tells it how it is.

James makes very good points, but starting off that video by stating "...before you just discount what I'm saying" doesn't take into account that a lot of grown men immediately discounted what he was saying, at least a little bit, based solely on his shirt.