Gun Show @ Hendersonville Feb 18, 19

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning on it. Mostly just so I can view/handle all the guns on my wishlist before deciding on a purchase. If prices are right, I will buy there. If not, I'll just head over to G&L.

Good to hear. That should help. Last time, the dealers/tables were about half from the initial show. Too many

non gun related items...gutter guard, etc.I know somebody has to pay the fiddler, but that's way off the mark.

Anyway, enjoy the trip to KC.

Guest HankRearden

I have never been to one of the Hendersonville shows.

Are there usually any Strider knife dealers there?

I have a SMF to see about trading for an SNG.

I will also bring along my M&P9 with a bunch of other mags and stuff in hopes of finding a Glock 19 with the RTF2 frame to trade towards.

But if it is like the last show in Nashville I went to it will be a waste of time, but that was a few years ago.

Guest NashvegasMatt

I may go, but I need some advice from some show guru's. I am attempting to trade up to a higher end 1911. Essentially I have this....

img0165at.jpg

By mseashorr at 2012-02-18

The thing I'm trying to find is a dan wesson, or higher springfield of some variety. I have up to $450 to add with the gun to sweeten the deal. The question is.... What's the best way to approach a trade at these shows....walk around with the gun to every table? scout the deals first? or should I just try to outright sell it? I know that there will be one or two that I want, but I never can find someone who wants a trade.... The way I look at it is that If I'm the dealer.... I get another cool gun, which I can sell... and money in my pocket... for essentially doing nothing. Am I out in left field here??

Edited by NashvegasMatt

Matt, in my opinion, you are always better selling outright and then finding what you want for two reasons. First, a dealer is typically never going to give you close to what your gun is worth. It's like buying a car. They have something you want more than they need what you have. They not only want to sell you their gun, they want to get yours at a good enough price to also make a nice profit on it. They have to be able to price it low enough to sell it. They don't want to keep it forever. There are some exceptions to that rule, but only involving rare or highly sought after guns. In this case, 1911's are a dime a dozen.

I haven't found a gun priced right yet that won't sell. It's usually that the current owner paid too much and now wants to try and get it all back, or they think it is worth much more than it is. I would recommend you really determine what you HAVE to have out of it if you would sell it and start about $50 higher than that. If you HAVE to have $50 less than it would be new, then plan on keeping it unless it is hard to find.

I just really depends how bad you want that new gun. A dealer doesn't really care that your gun is nice, they care that they can sell it for more than they are going to pay for it. Making $200 on a 90% gun is better than making $50 on a 99% gun.

My two cents.

Edited by Hozzie
Guest NashvegasMatt

Matt, in my opinion, you are always better selling outright and then finding what you want for two reasons. First, a dealer is typically never going to give you close to what your gun is worth. It's like buying a car. They have something you want more than they need what you have. They not only want to sell you their gun, they want to get yours at a good enough price to also make a nice profit on it. They have to be able to price it low enough to sell it. They don't want to keep it forever. There are some exceptions to that rule, but only involving rare or highly sought after guns. In this case, 1911's are a dime a dozen.

I haven't found a gun priced right yet that won't sell. It's usually that the current owner paid too much and now wants to try and get it all back, or they think it is worth much more than it is. I would recommend you really determine what you HAVE to have out of it if you would sell it and start about $50 higher than that. If you HAVE to have $50 less than it would be new, then plan on keeping it unless it is hard to find.

I just really depends how bad you want that new gun. A dealer doesn't really care that your gun is nice, they care that they can sell it for more than they are going to pay for it. Making $200 on a 90% gun is better than making $50 on a 99% gun.

My two cents.

good advice... thanks for the insight. I see where you are coming from by saying that they don't need my gun, and how that is a bargaining tool for price on their end. Now as far as outright selling it... how do most of you guys do this at shows? or should I just stick to here and armslist? I am not trying to get every penny out of it... but seeing the prices at gunshows...either people are dumb and overpay, or have no self control.

Edited by NashvegasMatt

ok, so I saw a few 'unicorns' @ the show today.... super crowded too. Fairly good show.

--- Ruger 1911 (sold) while I was there.

--- Kel Tec KSG shotgun (double the MSRP) ($1699) so if someone has deep pockets, its yours!

--- Kriss Vector (pistol, and carbine) in .45acp $1969.

Pretty interesting show.... I had a friend come with me so.... made it even better to shop around this time.... I hope this show will continue to grow....

Edited by sigrug17
Guest juggernaut
Kel Tec KSG shotgun (double the MSRP) ($1699) so if someone has deep pockets, its yours!

I wanted it but no way I was gonna pay that for it

Sent from Joes iPhone using Tapatalk