Want to get started reloading - what should I buy NOW?

I plan to get into reloading a little later this year, (waiting for a few nice days to make space in the garage) but want to go ahead and start picking up supplies in anticipation of the 'run' on reloading supplies and ammo that I believe is likely later this year.

I'll mostly want to begin with .45 and 5.56 / .223. I have lots of brass, so I guess I'm looking for bullets, primers, and powder.

Any suggestions about where to start and what to start with?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use all sorts of stuff, but the Midway Dogtown (and Natchez equalivents) are a good deal in bulk.

In .22 cal, usually get 50gr or 55gr JHPs. You can use the hollow-points for hunting (FMJ not allowed for hunting in TN)

http://www.midwayusa...motionid=510669

buy your projectiles, figure out your recipe using load manuals or innerd-web, *then* purchase your powder.

Edited by R_Bert

I'd buy several reloading manuals and read and reread the front parts. That will give you a better idea of what you'll need to start. I like to keep a good stock of powder and primers on hand, as they seem to be in shorter supply than brass and projectiles. Watch classified ads on gun forums and sales and blemished bullet ads on retail webistes for good deals.

Guest canebreaker

I haven't been, but hear A&H downtown is a good place to start. Reloaders Bench at the north Mt. Juliet exit is good. Midsouthshooterssupplies.com at Clarksville is good. Wideners.com in Johnson City. Save shipping and hazmat if you drive to pick it up. Check form for pick up. And the other online sites.

Buy primers and powder in bulk, in the same order to save on hazmat charge on online orders.

Compare prices at different online sites, keep a ledger of what you need and where it's cheaper.

fsreloading.com

fmreloading.com

midwayusa.com

You want small rifle primers, large pistol primers for sure. I cannot tell one brand of primer from another. Many powders will work but you will want a rifle and a pistol powder, no way around it. I like accurate poweders because they work very well in my powder dispenser (lee disk). I use #5 for almost all pistol calibers, and 2230 is a no brainer for the 223 if you want to use this brand. The #5 is good for 380-45 but not really great for magnum calibers. 2230 provides solid, good loads in all my rifles BUT I shoot my rifles with weakish target loads --- my 308 loading is not much more powerful than a 30-30 for example. If you wanted a more realistic load for a variety of rifles other powders would be better (and still work in 223).

For the .45 you can shoot lead cheaply, 500 rounds is not much over $30, and it is cheaper to shoot lighter bullets (200 or less grains). If you want a copper plated round it will cost more. This one depends on what you want to do with it... high accuracy? Just blast away at short range?

For the 223 I love the hornady 55 grain bullets seen here: http://www.hornady.c...with-cannelure/ I have not found a more accurate bullet. If you want short range zombie work, you can get pulled bullets cheap, or second quality, etc.

You will want a case trimmer for the 223. And my advice is to get that press and dies, start popping out the primers and sizing the cases so you can trim them a few at a time. Rifle brass takes a lot of work compared to the pistol (you can just use the pistol brass after tumbling it). I would also get a case cleaner, also so you can prep brass as you accumulate it.

I cannot recommend a turret press enough. Single stage can more than double the time spent per box. Progressive and better cut the time down more but the turret is a modestly priced option that is great for starting up. Keep a weather eye on the LEE refurbished gear page if you are looking to keep the investment low, you sometimes find various things there, dies or whatnots, occasionally a good press.

Edited by Jonnin