Ruger Mini 14???

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a couple over the years. They are reliable rifles and decent shooters. Their kinda plain jane though and not very exciting. I had a lot more fun shooting ARs and M1As.

Ruger is pretty proud of their magazines too. Accessories seem cheaper for ARs. But that's just me.

Personally, I like the SKS better and they are about $300 cheaper. That can buy alot of ammo.:rolleyes:

Guest 5Legion

I've owned 2 and a Mini-30 (7.62x39). They are neat little rifles. I currently have a vintage SS 182 series Mini-14. True, they run best with factory Ruger mags, and the Ruger hi-caps will cost you. $40-$50 for the Ruger 20 rounders. Mine is 100% reliable with these however. I think 95% of Mini problems are due to cheapo mags. Also, I like to use iron sights on a Mini. Some guys scope them with a low power scope, they are not sniper rifles unless you put a lot of $ into one (possible exception the new Target Model). The new 580 Minis are really nice, I'd check out the "NRA model" as it has a 16 inch barrel and comes with 2 factory hi-caps. Pretty sweet. However, you could get a Bushmaster AR for about the same price $750+ or so. Minis are neat guns, but a bit pricey, and you have to love the garand-type action. Still, I'll always own (even with several ARs in the safe too).

5L

I bought a new one about 10 years ago and all it did was jam on me. I hated it and sold it back to the dealer I bought it from. I think I would have kept it if it hadn't jammed all the time. I'm not much of a rifle person though. I also had a Colt match target AR-15 .223 that I sold because I didn't like it. I'll keep my handguns and shotguns. Just my .02 :mad:

Guest Grout

I had one back in the eighties.It worked fine with factory mags.I later bought a Colt Car 15 and sold the Mini.FWIW the factory mags were expensive even back then.Around $30 IIRC.Avoid aftermarket mags,they sucked.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ColdEspresso

I will agree, aftermarket mags are terrible. I use mine for coyote hunting and it is great and easy to carry.

When you could buy one for about half of an AR, the Minis were a decent deal. But they seem to be getting more and more expensive, while the quality seems to be slipping. If you look at total cost of magazines, the a quality entry-level AR seems to me like a much better deal. Way more accurate too. Just my 2 cents.

DanO

i have a beautiful 182 series (all wood) mini 14 for trade that is a tack driver. factory mags are best by far but i do have one aftermarket mag that it functions just fine with. they are great guns for the money ($500 range) and i think they are underrated...esecially the early guns.