Why is TGO so addictive????

I am a member of several forums, PredatorMasters, 24hrcampfire, Rimfirecentral, Marlin Owners. Each have there own fortè, but I keep coming back to TGO.

I got on here to browse around and I did just that before joining a yr ago. 6 months of browsing to be exact. This place has actually produced friendships, lots of good guys on here. Lots of knowledge and OPINIONS. that's what makes it nice. maybe that's my reason for coming here so often.

At least on here we might actually learn something instead of like Facebook or all the other (hey I'm away for 2 weeks please rob me) social sites.

Just thought I would give props to this forum and see what y'all had to say about this.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I'm on FB but spend little time on it. It's nothing but heavy advertising and companies doing data mining on your profile. I've debated several times on just deleting my account and probably will once they IPO which will open the site up to even more heavy data mining. I split the majority of my time between TGO and TundraTalk. Great forums!

I am a member of several forums, PredatorMasters, 24hrcampfire, Rimfirecentral, Marlin Owners. Each have there own fortè, but I keep coming back to TGO.

I got on here to browse around and I did just that before joining a yr ago. 6 months of browsing to be exact. This place has actually produced friendships, lots of good guys on here. Lots of knowledge and OPINIONS. that's what makes it nice. maybe that's my reason for coming here so often.

At least on here we might actually learn something instead of like Facebook or all the other (hey I'm away for 2 weeks please rob me) social sites.

Just thought I would give props to this forum and see what y'all had to say about this.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

I know, I should be writing a paper right now...

I like the people on here. Some are sarcastic, others are funny, others are serious, and EVERYONE has an opinion. The people here also don't seem to get swept up in large masses like they do on Facebook. Like with that Kony thing, I deleted every person who was outraged and said we needed to have direct action. Surprise no one cares about it anymore. It's also a goldmine for information.

The Ugandan warlord who uses child soldiers like every African warlord. Been in power since 1986 I think. Anyway a non-profit did a documentary on him and all of a sudden people were up in arms. You're being sarcastic again aren't you? Lol

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I think the attraction for me is an online space where you're surrounded by like-minded individuals, at least as regards firearms, which is a no-go topic in many circles. Most of my buddies shoot, but little, and don't love the various shooting sports, or all the details and minutiae that I find so interesting. I have coworkers who are heavily into shooting, but work doesn't allow the free-form discussions we can have here, plus there's always the necessity to self-censor at work that we don't have to deal with here - nobody on TGO is going to ask you why "any hunter needs a 30 round clip", or lecture you on the evils of your hobby, unsolicited.

Guns, politics, and religion are normally taboo subjects in general company. It's nice to be able to come someplace where kindred spirits can get away from all the nonsense and dig into all the topics we love, without lectures, recrimination, reprisal, et. al.

If anyone is familiar with the politics / culture blog "Ace of Spades HQ", you'll know what I mean immediately. That's my only other online hangout where I actually post, and for the same general reasons, even though the topics don't overlap much. It's unapologetically fiscally conservative (though more libertarian socially, but not libertine), first principles oriented, and wickedly funny and vulgar at times. Much like TGO, it is a good spot for a free-for-all discussion. One warning: it is unmoderated, so unlike TGO, there is strong language, trolling, and all the other ills that come with that.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Once Lady Fate decided that I would have some nerve damage that would take away my life-long love of martial arts and common sense convinced me that carrying a handgun was all that I could do for the same type protection that MA gave me, I then asked a Dear friend for his advice.

He sent me to this site and to the USCCA which if you are not familiar is a paid only site that has seen it's better days. I will not be renewing there again. My friend was a member there and still is here but not very active anymore,

One of the first things that I learned was that while I was quite proficient with my own style of MA I had been darn lucky to only be wearing the scars of not bringing a knife to a knife fight. Even luckier was that I was fast enough one time to take a pistol pointed at me away......mighty darn lucky, dude was also very drunk and I did the last thing that he thought that I would do. It worked but sure would not work every time or even probably ever again.

I was indeed BAD as in Good but not really all that good at being bad, certainly not bad like BooLits are...I was simply lucky. My injury opened my eyes to a lot of things that I had never noticed before, I do wish I had not gotten hurt but doing so may well have saved my life in a way.

I spent a lot of time here just reading and by doing so was able to somewhat gage the personalities of the folks making the posts.

Not only that my brain was a sponge for knowledge of handguns and the carrying of them at the time. The military did very little to prepare me for the idea of carrying a concealed weapon everywhere that I went, even spending some time as an MP did not give me much knowledge or handgun skills.

I have certainly not learned everything in those few years since joining here but I have indeed learned a ton of things that I would have otherwise never known.

As far as what is discussed here one can never know just what it will be.

I have learned that I can get better truth in news from a few gun sites than I can from our so called news channels. And to be fully honest I mostly come here now to scan the classifieds for a deal, I am always it seems a dollar and sometimes just seconds short but I have found and taken advantage of a few. Still none of that is the addiction that brings me back here.

What I like best other than the idea that we all probably came here for information about handguns and other weapons is the idea of all of the generations that are represented here. We have young folks all the way up to old farts like myself and Mike357 and then REALLY old farts that likely broke bread with Napoleon and led him to his defeat.....of course OhShoot dont look all that old :shrug: .

I have watched this group squabble, spit and spat about stupid and meaningless things to the point I have nearly wet myself. I have also learned to swallow anything that I may be drinking before reading posts.....laptops dont like wet keyboards and I am not a rich man.

At the same time I have watched as this group came together and help folks who were in need that they had never even met, that kind of thing is what is very much lacking in our country these days and the ME generation that includes all ages. The things that I have seen this bunch do makes me proud to be a small insignificant part of this group. Things that I have seen here have brought this old fart to tears at times and laughing hard enough to wet myself at other times.....One can never know.

But the VERY BEST thing of all is the life-long friends that I have made here, some I have even yet to meet.....and many that I have met. I spent many years in Tn before I found folks that I could and would honestly trust with my life and I have met several of those kinds of people on this site much more so than any other site. I feel just as strong a friendship with a few here that I have not yet met. Oddly enough I got a killer deal on my first laptop many years ago because the man was convinced that the internet was the devil himself, to me that is funny as heck.

I hope to meet many more of you soon.

But simply put, as to why this site is so addictting?.......Cool and genuine people are attracted to the same and while we may squabble we are all one in the same, just like a family. I can hit and insult my brother but wont allow a stranger to do it, that is the feeling that I get from this group.

I would be very much amiss not to mention the work that David does to give us all of this, Thanks Dude :)

If anyone is interested a lot of former USCCA members have created a new site www.guntoters.com, I would love to have you all join us there but we are a long ways from being a TGO, the only way we will even ever get into the same league is for more and more folks to join. I like it because I know most of the members from the USCCA and it is a nationwide site so that if something happens in say Oregon that we here would never hear about the info will be there and I like that. That site is like my own national news organization.

This site also has a lot of news that we may not otherwise hear about but is more about friendship to me.

Give guntoters a thought...... if....that is..... you can drag yourself away from here for a few minutes at a time. :unsure:

Oh and I also like that not many complain when I use colored fonts, ;)